Get the Best for Your Child With an Autism Homeschool Curriculum
The local public school system may not have the knowledge, experience, or resources to give children with autism the necessary care and teaching—which is why many parents opt for homeschooling an autistic child.
Specialist programs exist, and DoNotPay has the best advice for you to source an autism homeschool curriculum to help your child get the best education possible!
Autistic children display various symptoms in the classroom that can only be addressed with care.
The most common manifestations of autism in the classroom include:
- Exceptional skills at certain, limited subjects, such as math or music
- Narrow focus and difficulty seeing the “big picture”
- Issues with language and communication
- Difficulty using body language and gestures, as well as a reluctance to make eye contact
- Trouble paying attention or staying focused on things outside their interests
The result is that, under the wrong classroom care, autistic children can be withdrawn, difficult to engage with, or even disruptive toward other students.
Parents of autistic children often know best how to deal with these symptoms, which is why taking them out of school and homeschooling them has become a popular choice.
While traditional classroom teaching may lead to disruptive behavior in autistic children, homeschool teaching involves its own set of challenges.
You need to be prepared to:
- Research the best teaching methods and curriculums for your child
- Modify school hours to suit your child’s attention span
- Be flexible enough to change lesson plans, topics, and methods at short notice
- Be honest in your assessment methods to monitor your child’s progress
Depending on your child’s interests and preferences, you may find you need to pay particular attention to:
Autistic children often struggle with reading, finding it difficult to see meaning in groups of words.
Difficulties with coordination and struggles to express thoughts combine to make writing a challenge for many autistic children.
Recent studies suggest that many autistic children are highly gifted at math but struggle to grasp the relevance of numbers to the rest of their lives.
In picking any homeschool curriculum, you have to choose between:
You should consider the following points:
|Curriculum Choice||Pros and Cons|
|Home-made||Designing your own curriculum can be the best way to guarantee that you:
It is a lot of work, though, involving:
|Off-the-shelf||Pre-designed curriculums are available for autistic children, but you risk not having enough flexibility to be able to accommodate your child’s wishes.
Most specialized autistic curriculums provide some variation in teaching methods, but you may need to supplement these with your own input.
Bear in mind, specialized curriculums often come at a premium price, so you will have to budget for your choice of program
The most important legislation usually concerns:
- Your teaching qualifications and whether you can use other teachers
- The subjects you need to teach
- Whether homeschool students have to be assessed
- What records you have to keep
- When and how you need to notify your school district about your homeschooling intentions
You can read up on each state’s laws here:
While rules on qualifications, assessments, required subjects, and record-keeping vary greatly from state to state, most states require advance notification of your homeschooling plans in the form of a letter of intent.
This is where DoNotPay comes in—we can take this administrative burden away by creating the letter of intent you need!
Homeschooling your autistic child will take up enough of your time and energy without you having to worry about admin tasks!
DoNotPay is here to help you get started on your homeschooling journey by generating the necessary letter of intent for your school district. We can even send it automatically in your stead!
Here’s how to get your letter ready:
- Subscribe to DoNotPay
- Click on our Notice of Intent to Homeschool feature
- Fill out the brief questionnaire regarding your homeschool plan
Your letter will be ready in an instant, and you can either print it out or let us send it on your behalf.
Do you believe you may have some missing assets? Use DoNotPay’s nifty product before the government claims them! Have you ever wanted to enter sweepstakes without purchasing anything? Our app will sign you up for them instantly! Trying to figure out how to reduce your property taxes or utility bills? DoNotPay can show you the way. Want to avoid getting charged for free trials that never fail to auto-renew into paid subscriptions? We’ll help you cancel them before they expire.
Anything else you may need? Check out how our app can:
- Create legal documents, including marital settlement agreements and powers of attorney
- Jump the phone queue when reaching out to customer service
- Discover and apply you for no-essay scholarships
- Help you apply for any clinical trial hassle-free
- Help you contact government representatives
- File an item return request in your stead
- Draft a notice of intent to homeschool
- Get you a chargeback or refund
- Appeal any banned account
It doesn’t stop there—DoNotPay can help you send a defamation demand letter, create passport photos, get gift card cash back, get any document notarized, request access to public records, claim insurance and warranty, request a college application fee waiver, appeal parking tickets, and much more.
Sign up now to get access to any of our products for one low monthly fee!