The Top Excuse for Not Wearing Your Seatbelt Is Flawed to the Core!
Every day, law enforcement officers across various jurisdictions hear hundreds of excuses from drivers and passengers not wearing seatbelts. While the top excuse for not wearing a seatbelt is relatable, it only shows how many still disregard the importance of wearing them. This guide will give you insight into the:
- Most common excuses for not wearing a seatbelt
- Kind of arguments that may work for dismissing a seatbelt ticket
- Shortcut method to appeal seatbelt tickets in court
Based on decades of empirical data collected by the federal authorities, you’ll find several common excuses that people who were pulled over for flouting seatbelt laws use. While a couple of excuses are understandable, most of them are outright absurd.
For most U.S. states, the top excuse for not wearing a seatbelt is—I’m only going down the road. Sounds bland, doesn’t it? So, why is this such a widely-used excuse? The truth is that most unbelted drivers panic when they’re pulled over, and going-a-short-distance is usually the first excuse they come up with in those split seconds. This excuse doesn’t work, and the officer will most likely ticket you and add penalty points to your driver’s license, depending on the laws prevalent in your state.
Not wearing a seatbelt is considered a moving violation in some states and an equipment violation in others—you can get demerit points for both cases. Regardless of the type of violation, you shouldn’t use these excuses to justify not wearing a seatbelt, and here is why:
|Excuse||Why It Doesn’t Work|
|“Airbag has me covered”||The basic engineering of airbags is to make it work with seatbelts—malfunctioning airbags and related injuries can cost you your life|
|“I’m a good driver”||You might be a good driver, but not everyone else is too. Also, being a bad driver is not the only reason behind tragic traffic accidents|
|“I’ll be trapped in the event of a crash”||As per National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), unbelted passengers who are ejected from the car during a crash are 2.3 times more likely to die|
|“It’s uncomfortable/time-consuming to wear one”||Such excuses are considered uncooperative as they throw logic out the window. Seatbelts are designed to protect you and not give you a rejuvenating spa experience. Also, it hardly takes a few seconds to buckle and unbuckle them|
|“I can do what I want with my life” or “Seatbelts ruin my vibe”||Teen drivers often give rebellious excuses for skipping the belt, which results in added demerit points and raised auto insurance rates. Putting a seatbelt on means you’re driving responsibly and being considerate towards the lives of:
|“My kid won’t listen”||Ignoring children’s seatbelt laws is a severe offense, so adults should ensure belting up is a non-negotiable aspect of getting in the car or the truck. Currently, only kids in commercial vehicles, such as school buses, are exempt from seatbelt laws|
Not wearing a seatbelt ticket means you’re on the wrong side of the law—you’ll be slapped with a moderate to a heavy fine and may even be cited to appear in court. If you’ve already ended up with a seatbelt ticket but don’t want to pay the fines, you can face severe consequences like:
- Losing your credibility as a driver
- Having your license suspended
- Being tagged as a court debtor
- Getting your vehicle towed away
- Having an arrest warrant in your name
These consequences can be avoided by:
- Paying the fines—which means you’re admitting to guilt
- Going to a traffic school—also means you’re at fault
- Contesting the ticket in court and getting it overturned—doing this absolves the blemish from your license and proves you’re innocent
Going to court for seatbelt tickets saps your time, money, and energy—even when you’re not guilty. If you want to appeal your seatbelt ticket from the comfort of your couch, DoNotPay’s Seatbelt Ticket product is your money-saving solution! Our app can send an appeal letter in your stead within minutes—all you need to do is subscribe to our services!
You can beat a seatbelt ticket if you present a valid argument around:
- Reasonable doubt—by proving that you were actually wearing a seatbelt
- Due diligence—by proving you had a strong reason for not wearing one
Here are a few convincing arguments that actually stand a chance in the court of law:
- “I have a doctor-certified medical condition that prevents me from wearing a seatbelt”
- “The officer didn’t spot my seatbelt as it was the same color as my shirt”
- “I was driving in reverse”
- “My seatbelt turned faulty”
- “I have a witness who saw me wearing a seatbelt”
You don’t have to live with the burden of a seatbelt violation—DoNotPay offers you a solid chance to prove your innocence with our Seatbelt Ticket product. Our robot lawyer won’t ever turn you away—DoNotPay stands by your side no matter what your argument is.
To appeal your seatbelt ticket, do this:
- Open your DoNotPay account and click on Seatbelt Ticket
- Take a photo of your ticket and upload it
- Fill out the questionnaire with these details:
- Who received the ticket—the driver, passenger, or a kid?
- What argument do you want to use?
- Add evidence to support your argument (optional)
DoNotPay will gather your responses to draft a fitting appeal letter and send it to the relevant authorities. If your argument clicks with them, your ticket will be dismissed in record time!
Being educated and informed is a superpower when it comes to contesting seatbelt tickets. Use this table to check out our guides on state-specific seatbelt laws:
Once you complete the task at hand, you don’t have to stop there—we offer a myriad of products that can relieve you of the stress that comes with dealing with admin and legal hurdles.
DoNotPay can assist you in drawing up a divorce settlement agreement, child travel consent form, power of attorney, and other legal documents, contacting government representatives, getting tourist visas, fighting workplace discrimination, getting a burner number, appealing banned accounts, getting access to public records, scheduling a DMV appointment, and much more.
With DoNotPay by your side, you don’t have to worry about how you’ll cover your utility bills at the end of the month—we’ll provide swift assistance as soon as you sign up!
Wondering what else our app is capable of? Check out how we can:
- Help you jump the phone queue when getting in touch with customer service
- Sign you up for any clinical trial you’re a good candidate for
- Get you a refund for any late, damaged, or missing delivery
- Generate a rock-solid financial aid appeal letter
- Draw up an anonymous HR complaint
- Look up sex offenders in your vicinity
- Help you reduce your property taxes
- Contact any embassy or consulate
- Get any document notarized