How To Check if a Gift Card Has Money—Find and Retrieve the Leftover Cash Fast
Many popular stores sell gift cards that can be used to get any products or services they offer. Once you use a gift card, you’ll likely forget about it and leave it in a drawer. When you come across it next time, you’ll need to check its remaining balance before you decide what to do with it.
That’s what we’re here to show you—how to check if a gift card has money left on it. DoNotPay can also help you get your leftover gift card cash back without a hitch!
Gift cards usually don’t have an expiry date. That means you can use them whenever you please, as long there’s money on them. You may check the remaining gift card balance by using either of the methods listed below:
- Visiting the store in question and checking in person
- Using the company’s website to check the balance
- Calling the customer service hotline
- Using DoNotPay’s Check Gift Card Balance feature
When opting for any of the mentioned techniques, you’ll need to know the gift card ID number and provide your details or email address for confirmation. Want to avoid dealing with customer service, driving to the store, and wasting a lot of time waiting? Then our app is the best choice!
Do you hate waiting around? Use DoNotPay to check your gift card balance in a flash. It only takes three steps to learn about your remaining balance using our app, as you can see below:
- Sign up for DoNotPay and click on the Check Gift Card Balance feature
- Upload the photos of the front and the back of your gift card
- Enter the email address where you want to receive the info
Do you need help with checking the gift card balance of multiple vendors? We have plenty of guides for you! Check the table below and learn the best ways to check if a popular brand gift card has leftover money on it:
|General Retailers and Convenience Stores||Fashion and Beauty Stores and Outlets||Home Decor and Renovation||Restaurants and Fast Food Chains||Other Companies|
|Target||Macy’s||Barnes & Noble||Cold Stone Creamery||Disney|
|Walgreens||Nordstrom||Bed Bath & Beyond||Panera Bread||AMC|
|Walmart||Forever 21||Michaels||Olive Garden||Shell|
|Best Buy||Victoria’s Secret||Bath & Body Works||Red Lobster||Southwest Airlines|
|Sam’s Club||Old Navy||Home Depot||Buffalo Wild Wings||American Express|
|Kroger||Nike||Office Depot||Burger King||iTunes|
|Giant Eagle||Gap||IKEA||Dunkin’ Donuts||Cinemark|
|Trader Joe’s||Williams-Sonoma||Kohl’s||The Cheesecake Factory||Dell|
There are several ways you can use the money left on your card. Check them out below:
- Exchange your gift card for a different card if you want to use the money to shop at a specific store. Many websites provide gift card exchange services, but you should be careful not to get scammed
- Sell your gift card to an online merchant, but remember that you won’t get the full value of your card using this method
- Return your gift card to the original store if their policy allows it. Most stores don’t take cards back, so you best check their return policies beforehand
- Sell your card at a gift card kiosk if you find one near you. Know that these kiosks usually offer up to 75% or 80% of your gift card’s value in cash
Note that some U.S. territories allow gift card cash back, while others don’t. The locations with cash back policies include Puerto Rico and the following U.S. states:
- New Jersey
- Rhode Island
DoNotPay can help you get some coins from your used gift cards. The amounts we can get for you aren’t too crazy, but they add up if you find multiple used cards. You can expect to get from $3.00 to $10.00 cash per card, which usually isn’t enough to shop at stores.
Getting the money is the easy part! After you check the balance, all you need to do is:
- Sign up for DoNotPay
- Enter everything you know about the card in our questionnaire
- Provide us with an email address where we can reach you
Once we check if the company has a store in one of the cash back states, we’ll request your money back. The cash should be with you within 14 workdays.
Do you need more cash? Read our free gift cards guide for ways to get some nice freebies.
Need further assistance? No problem! As soon as you sign up for our AI-driven app, you will get access to a myriad of nifty products. DoNotPay can:
- Cancel any subscription
- Sign you up for clinical trials
- Get your documents notarized
- Create customized legal documents
- Help you get compensation from airlines
- Demand a late delivery refund in your stead
- Show you how to get gift card cash back
- Send any document through online fax
- Find your unclaimed money
- Get you a burner number
Using it, you can sign up for a free trial and not worry about getting charged because the card has no funds. Once the free trial is over, the company won’t be able to take your money and will terminate the trial on its own.
Do you feel like a company wronged you? You can count on us to help you sue it in small claims court and fight for your right!