Can You Wear a Hat in a Passport Photo? Passport Photo Requirements Explained!
If you’re planning to have your passport photo taken but aren’t sure what outfit to put on, don’t fret! We’ll explain all the passport photo guidelines and requirements you should pay attention to. Can you wear a hat in a passport photo? What clothing items should you avoid? These are only some of the questions we provide the answers to!
Subscribe to DoNotPay, and let us take some burden off your back by ensuring your photo meets all the necessary requirements!
You usually cannot wear a hat in your passport photos. Your photo must identify you clearly, and hats and other headgear cover your head and/or face, so wearing them should be avoided.
There are some instances in which wearing a hat or headpiece in your photo is allowed.
In certain conditions, you can keep your hat on when the camera snaps to take your passport photo. Check out the table below for specifics:
|You Can Wear a Hat Due To||Explanation|
|Religious beliefs||If wearing a hat is a part of your traditional religious attire and you wear it on a daily basis, you can keep it on for your passport photo.
You have to provide a signed statement that verifies this
|Medical reasons||If you must wear headgear at all times due to medical reasons, consult your doctor and obtain a signed statement from him or her to provide as proof|
Hats aren’t the only items that shouldn’t be worn in passport photos. Before you decide what to wear for your picture, check out the list below to know what outfits and accessories to avoid:
- Glasses—Sunglasses and tinted glasses are forbidden in passport photos. You can wear prescription glasses if you have a signed doctor’s statement to provide as proof that you must wear your glasses at all times
- Uniforms—Military, flight crew, and other professional uniforms are also forbidden in passport photos, so it’s best to choose a simple outfit you would wear on a regular day
- The color white—The background in your passport photo has to be white, so wearing a white-colored outfit in your picture can cause you and the background to blend together
- Large head accessories—Any large headpieces, such as hair clips, can take the focus off your facial features and should be avoided. Tying your hair back with a thin hair tie is the best course of action
Choosing an appropriate outfit and learning what accessories to avoid in your passport photo is only one part of the equation. Knowing what specific requirements your photo should meet to be valid, such as size and background, is also important.
You have to make sure your photo:
- Is no older than six months
- Measures 2 × 2″ (or 5 cm × 5 cm)
- Has a white or off-white background
- Presents your head as measuring between 1″ to 1 3/8″ (2.5 cm to 3.5 cm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
Your facial expression in photos should be natural, so you can smile as long as it's unexaggerated. Avoid squinting your eyes or frowning. Look at the camera directly without turning your head to either side.
If you want to avoid the struggle of meeting all passport photo requirements by yourself, rely on DoNotPay to assist you! You can take a photo at any location you want, such as your home or office, and upload it in a few clicks.
We will make sure your background is properly adjusted and that your photo is resized and cropped to meet the required criteria. Don’t work harder—work smarter!
Follow our quick guide to get started:
- Sign up for DoNotPay
- Select the Passport Photos feature
- Take a photo or upload one you already have
We will email you digital photos, but you can choose to receive two physical copies as well.
DoNotPay helps you take and print your passport photos in no time! We can do even more for you!
The list below shows you some of the common questions regarding passport photos we can clarify:
- How much do I have to pay to take my passport photo at Walgreens?
- How can I print a passport-size photo on an HP printer?
- Can I take a passport photo with a digital camera?
- How many passport photos do I need for I-130?
- Can I have a beard in my passport photo?
- How can I take a digital passport photo?
- What is a biometric passport photo?
- How can I print my passport photos on 4x6 paper?
- Can I print my passport photos online?
- How do I take a flattering passport photo?
Find your place of residence in the table below to see where you can have your passport photo taken:
Yes, communication is the key, and DoNotPay vows to provide you with the best, most convenient methods to relay or protect your message—whether it’s correspondence with your business partner or a loved one who’s serving time.
Check out what you get by using our platform:
- Contacting customer service reps without long holds
- Scheduling DMV appointments without dealing with nervous or disinterested clerks
- Faxing your documents online
- Protecting yourself from text and email spam
- Claiming warranties and insurance without calling anybody
- Mailing letters without leaving your home
- Drawing up great neighbor complaint letters when reasoning with them doesn’t work anymore
If you have a tendency to shop till you drop, some issues with purchases are bound to happen. Customer rights and satisfaction is what DoNotPay is passionate about.
With your subscription, you will be able to:
- Sign up for free trials without any risks
- Protect your credit card info
- Request refunds and chargebacks for unsatisfactory products and services
- Cancel memberships and subscriptions that don’t live up to your expectations
- Sue merchants in small claims court
- Get refunds for late, lost, or damaged deliveries