How To Get Michigan State Scholarships—Are You Making the Right Moves?
Michigan State University (MSU) is among the top schools in the U.S., but its steep tuition costs are a nightmare for students. With an average yearly education cost of almost $55,000, MSU is 97% more expensive than the country’s average public school.
Michigan State scholarships can support your education funds and minimize student loans, but many students fail to win them because they:
- Miss deadlines
- Apply for the wrong scholarships and grants
- Ignore the relevant ones
If you’re worried about losing out on the best MSU scholarships, our student-friendly guide will steer you in the right direction!
Michigan State University offers hundreds of scholarships that have different eligibility criteria. Currently, the university offers scholarships for the following categories:
- Scholarships earmarked for incoming students
- Merit scholarships
- Departmental academic scholarships
- Criteria-specific scholarships
We have analyzed each of the above options to help you decide which scholarship you should apply for.
Every year, over 30,000 graduating high school seniors enroll in various undergraduate programs at MSU. Based on students’ residential data, the university offers the following freshmen scholarships:
|Scholarship Type||Details and Examples|
|In-state freshman scholarships||These scholarships are strictly meant for:
Here are some examples:
|Michigan State out-of-state scholarships||Out-of-state, undocumented, or international students have to pay three times more than in-state learners. To offset these costs, MSU offers dozens of scholarships like:|
Transfer students are not eligible for any of the freshmen scholarships, but they may apply for the following scholarships in their sophomore or junior year:
- MSU’s Community College Scholarship
- Spartan Transfer Scholarship
- Associate Achievement Award
To qualify for these scholarships, students need to submit the following:
- Transcripts from all their previous schools
- Required number of recommendation letters
- Proof of:
- Minimum transferable credit hours
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5+
A student can qualify for more than one transfer scholarship at MSU.
Michigan State University offers 15 merit scholarships to students who:
- Are one of the finalists of a National Merit Scholarship test
- Name MSU as their first-choice university on the test
- Display superior performance on other standardized tests
These scholarships are usually renewable every semester and may cover full tuition costs and on-campus boarding and living expenses.
Every school under MSU sets aside certain scholarships for students who perform the best in their chosen major in fields such as:
- Computational mathematics
- Natural science
- Human capital and society
- Business management
- Veterinary medicine
- Art and film studies
- Critical languages
- Music education and performance
Michigan State University has a plethora of scholarships with specific qualifying criteria based on demographics, personal adversity, or minority classification. You can check out some examples in this list:
- Vernon F. Barker, Sr. Memorial Veterans’ Scholarship
- Girl Scouts Heart of Michigan's Kathy Lindahl McCheer Off Scholarship for women who cheerlead
- ROMBA LGBT+ Fellowship
- The Harold I. Gach Scholarship Endowment for cancer survivors
- The Kenneth L. and Marla Knas Scholarship for first-generation students
- The Walter and Phyllis Olin Bielanski Endowed Scholarship for:
Scanning through the encyclopedia of Michigan State scholarships is a Herculean task, especially for a busy student. Ever since the pandemic, many MSU students have complained of fatigue due to online classes and related assignments, which leaves them with no energy to look or apply for scholarships.
Keeping current student needs in mind, DoNotPay has devised a one-stop solution in the form of a super handy scholarship search tool.
Once you start using DoNotPay, you’ll never have to worry about checking your eligibility for each scholarship—we’ll do that for you in under five minutes!
To use our app, all you need to do is enter your student details through a short questionnaire. We will automatically match you with all relevant financial aid types from our latest database of scholarships available in MSU, the State of Michigan, and the rest of the U.S. to access your tailor-made list!
Many students never apply despite finding lucrative scholarship opportunities because they:
- Find the application procedure to be exhausting and time-consuming
- Cannot afford the time to apply for them
- Think they aren’t good enough to win
If you dread applying for scholarships, DoNotPay can simplify the chore! Our app can help you apply for all no-essay scholarships that fit your student profile.
Our application option works by generating a list of scholarships that don’t require you to write an essay. You can browse through the list and tell us which ones you like—we will automatically apply for those scholarships in your stead!
Follow these steps to start using our services ASAP:
- and search for Scholarships
- Answer the questionnaire with details like your grades, university, major, etc.
- Select between our search and apply features
DoNotPay only gives you a list of attainable scholarships, so you should apply to as many as you can to raise your chances of winning. We’re positive you’ll hit the jackpot in no time!
Once you complete the task at hand, you don’t have to stop there—we offer a myriad of products that can relieve you of the stress that comes with dealing with admin and legal hurdles.
DoNotPay can assist you in drawing up a divorce settlement agreement, child travel consent form, power of attorney, and other legal documents, contacting government representatives, getting tourist visas, fighting workplace discrimination, getting a burner number, appealing banned accounts, getting access to public records, scheduling a DMV appointment, and much more.
With DoNotPay by your side, you don’t have to worry about how you’ll cover your utility bills at the end of the month—we’ll provide swift assistance as soon as you sign up!
Wondering what else our app is capable of? Check out how we can:
- Help you jump the phone queue when getting in touch with customer service
- Sign you up for any clinical trial you’re a good candidate for
- Get you a refund for any late, damaged, or missing delivery
- Generate a rock-solid financial aid appeal letter
- Draw up an anonymous HR complaint
- Look up sex offenders in your vicinity
- Help you reduce your property taxes
- Contact any embassy or consulate
- Get any document notarized