If You Lose Financial Aid at One School, Can You Get It at Another? Find Out NOW!

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm, is not licensed to practice law, and is not equivalent to the services of a licensed lawyer. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help, and does not offer legal services. Third party news articles mentioned on our website do not necessarily reflect the views of the company, or the current services that we offer.

If You Lose Financial Aid at One School, Can You Get It at Another? Get the Right Answer!

Applying for financial aid is quite beneficial to both undergraduate and graduate students. Although obtaining it might feel like a big relief, you should keep in mind that financial aid is not unconditional. So, the big question is, if you lose financial aid at one school, can you get it at another? And if not, how can you start receiving aid again?

Use our straightforward guide to find answers to those questions, and learn how to appeal financial aid offers with ease!

If You Lose Financial Aid, Can You Get It Back?

To receive financial aid, every student has to meet certain eligibility criteria. The criteria aren’t the same for every school, but the general rule is that a student has to:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen
  • Have a high school diploma
  • Make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Once you get financial aid, you have to keep working to maintain the eligibility status. That means you have to:

  1. Keep at least a 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
  2. Pass enough classes with progress toward your degree

If you fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress and the above-explained GPA, you will lose the right to keep receiving financial aid. Luckily, there are ways to get it back!

How To Get Your Financial Aid Back

The best way to get your financial aid back after the suspension is to start working hard on improving your academic progress. Once you improve your grades and GPA, you’ll be able to reapply for financial aid and start receiving it again.

If You Lose Financial Aid at Your School, Can You Get It at Another?

In case you lose the right to receive financial aid at your school due to an unsatisfactory GPA, you may be wondering whether requesting more aid from a different school will work. Unfortunately, the answer is no.

While getting financial aid from a different school is possible, you will first have to meet the eligibility criteria of the school in question. Most schools will look into your academic progress and won’t find you eligible to receive aid if your progress isn’t satisfactory.

You can either work on your SAP while enrolled at your school or enroll at a different one and get your grades high enough to become eligible for financial aid.

How To Keep Your Financial Aid—Exceptions to the Rule

You may be able to apply for a temporary waiver of the SAP rules if you failed to maintain satisfactory academic progress due to the following reasons:

Injury or illness

You were physically incapable of maintaining your SAP due to an injury or illness

Death of a close relative

You couldn’t focus on maintaining your SAP because of the emotional state you were in due to the passing of a close relative

Other specific circumstances

Other extreme and special circumstances accepted by the school you’re enrolled at

You should contact your school’s financial aid office and ask them to provide you with more information about the appeal process. They will tell you what circumstances count as valid and how to file your appeal in detail.

How To Get Financial Aid Reinstated

Once your academic progress is improved and you’re eligible for financial aid again, you should reach out to your school’s financial aid office and ask what documents you need to reapply. Most schools require filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which they use to determine your eligibility.

Contact your school’s financial aid counselor if you’re wondering:

Use DoNotPay To Appeal Financial Aid Offers in a Flash!

It’s not uncommon for universities and colleges to reject financial aid applications or offer insufficient financial aid amounts. In such cases, you can use DoNotPay to appeal the decision without breaking a sweat! We can create your financial appeal letter using the info you provide us with, and you can avoid spending hours composing it yourself! Everything you need to do is and complete these simple steps:

  1. Open Appeal for More Financial Aid
  2. Tell us which college or university you want to attend and which other schools you’re considering
  3. Supply us with info about your family’s financial circumstances

DoNotPay will get to creating your appeal letter quickly! We’ll even send it to the financial aid office of the school you want!

In case you want to check out other schools and see what they have to offer, you can check out the table below and to applying for financial aid:

Purdue University Financial AidRutgers University Financial AidHarvard University Financial Aid
New York University Financial AidUniversity of California, Los Angeles Financial AidUniversity of California, Davis Financial Aid
Cornell University Financial AidPrinceton University Financial AidUniversity of California, Santa Cruz Financial Aid
Columbia University Financial AidUniversity of California, Berkeley Financial AidMIT Financial Aid
Stanford University Financial AidUniversity of California San Diego Financial AidYale University Financial Aid

Explore DoNotPay’s Vast Database To Handle Administrative Issues Head-On

Dealing with administrative issues is never a fun experience, but you can save yourself from unnecessary hassle with our app! Once you sign up for DoNotPay, there is little you can’t do. Aside from helping you deal with everyday tasks, such as reaching customer services, you can also use our app to:

Make Your Troubles Disappear

Is a company giving you a hard time? Don’t fret! DoNotPay can walk you through the process of suing it in small claims court and help you get the justice you deserve!

The best part is that assisting you take companies to court isn’t all our app can do! We can also help you with:

Want your issue solved now?