The A to Z of the Tesla Return Policy
Buying a Tesla product is always a gamble, especially since the world is not quite ready for electric vehicles yet. Have you bought something that just isn’t working out for you now? What does the Tesla return policy say about returning damaged products? Can you return everything? Find all the answers you need in our easy-to-follow guide!
You can also skip the hassle altogether and use DoNotPay to initiate your return request in less than five minutes!
Tesla decided to scrap their 7-day return policy for cars in October 2020. This policy could be found on their page even as recently as September 2020 and stated that you could return your car—as long as it was undamaged and the odometer read less than 1,000 kilometers—within seven days of purchase.
Tesla removed this policy from their website sometime between September and October 2020 without any explanation whatsoever. Even now, there’s little to no information available about this decision making it seem like this policy never existed to begin with—a decision that caused outrage among fans and users and some speculation as to what the reason could be.
While you can no longer return cars to Tesla, you can still return accessories and merchandise purchased online or in stores. Most accessories can be returned to Tesla within 30 days of delivery, except wall connectors, which can be returned within 60 days.
You will not be able to return items if:
- The products are used or installed
- The items are missing their original packaging
- The kits are incomplete, or package quantities are broken
- The order contains items such as wheels and steering packages that have been personally collected by the customers, regardless of installation status
Tesla’s return policy can vary based on how you made the purchase. There are two ways to make a return:
- Using the official website
- Returning the items to one of their authorized retail stores
Tesla service stores cannot process returns, refunds, or exchanges. They can accept returns only if you have completed the process online and received a return shipping label.
Tesla will also not process the returns of products bought through third-party vendors.
|Can You Initiate a Return Request Via||Yes/No|
Items purchased at Tesla’s official retail stores can be returned in person. To return an accessory to a Tesla retail location, start by finding a store near you. When you get there, present your receipt and ask to return the products. They will take you through the refund procedure and process your return.
You can return products purchased online by submitting a return request on the official Tesla website. Here is what you need to do:
- Sign in to your Tesla account
- Access your order details and initiate a return request by following the steps found in the order details section
- Get access to your order by entering your email address and order number if you purchased an item as a guest
- Print out your prepaid return shipping label and ship the packed items back to Tesla
If you think dealing with Tesla’s return policy doesn’t sound like fun, you can pass the hassle on to us. DoNotPay can help you initiate a return request in a few easy steps:
- Sign up for a DoNotPay account
- Click on the Item Return Request product and answer a few questions
- Submit the request
We will compile a return request letter and send it to Tesla in your stead. The letter will outline your preferred resolution, explain your issue with the product, and provide a deadline so that there are no delays in processing your request. We will even get you a return label to help you ship your return free of charge!
Need Help With Other Companies?
DoNotPay can help you send return requests to a plethora of retailers. You can find the full list in our Learning Center, but here’s a selection of the merchants we can help you send return requests to:
|Google Store||ALDI||Ann Taylor|
Once Tesla receives a returned product, they will inspect it thoroughly and process your return. If all conditions are met, Tesla will process a refund within seven to ten business days. The refund will be sent to you in the original form of payment used for the purchase.
In some cases, Tesla may deduct the return shipping fee from your refund. If the return was made due to a fault on their part—such as a product defect—they will not deduct the shipping fee.
If you are having trouble getting a refund from Tesla, the DoNotPay app has a nifty little feature that can help you out! All you have to do is:
- Open the app and find the Chargeback Instantly option
- Click on Get Protected and talk to our chatbot
- Sign and Submit
Have you been trying to contact the company you want to return your faulty item to with no success? No more—use DoNotPay’s nifty product to jump the phone queue of any company’s customer service line.
Waiting in any sort of line is dreadful, which is why we can also help you schedule a DMV appointment from the comfort of your home.
There are many more tiresome chores you no longer have to leave your bed to complete:
- Drawing up an ironclad standardized legal document
- Getting any document notarized remotely
- Mapping registered sex offenders
- Appealing parking tickets
- Faxing any document
- Getting a tourist visa
- Lowering your utility bills
- Getting gift card cash back
- Entering sweepstakes for free
- Getting access to any public record
- Sending a financial aid appeal letter to any school
Our app comes with a large selection of products—for one low monthly fee, you can use them all to complete dreadful admin tasks in a split second. Check out how you can:
- Earn off robocalls
- Create passport photos
- Sign up for a clinical trial
- Appeal banned accounts
- Fight workplace discrimination
- Create a child travel consent form
- File warranty and insurance claims
- Get rid of email and text spammers
- Submit an HR complaint anonymously
- Draw up a divorce settlement agreement