Have an Item You Don’t Need? Learn How To Return It Without a Receipt
Everyone and their mother has faced a situation where they lost a receipt for an item they’ve been meaning to return. It’s a common occurrence and nothing to worry about. DoNotPay comes in with multiple solutions for this hiccup.
Our article will show you all the options for getting money for the item you don’t need and explain how to return it without a receipt!
Whether you can return an item without a receipt or not depends on the store’s policy. Most companies have a set window during which you can return items.
For example, you can return most products bought at Target within 90 days from the purchase, while Barnes & Noble offers 30 days to return a product. Some stores—such as Walmart—will give you money back for any items bought for under $25 without asking for a receipt.
Many stores have return policies that don’t require you to have a receipt to get your money back for an unwanted item. The issue is that most of them will not offer a refund but store credit or a gift card instead. Here are some examples:
- Walmart—If you want to return an item to Walmart, you can do it by mail or in person. The staff will try to find your order using your phone number, email address, or credit or debit card transactions
- Nordstrom—Nordstrom products can be returned by mail and in person. The company staff will ask you for details regarding the purchase so they can track the record of the sale. Note that you will not get cash back— only a gift card loaded with the amount equal to the price of returned items
- Bed Bath & Beyond—The company doesn’t offer refunds for returns. If they manage to find a record of your purchase, the company will offer you merchandise credit. Your item has to be unopened
- JCPenney—You can return your item to JCPenney without a receipt for a Merchandise Return Voucher. The voucher will be loaded with the amount that will correspond with the lowest selling price of the product within the last 45 days
Regardless if you have a receipt or not, most companies will not accept returns for some items, such as:
- Games and computer software
- Personalized items
You’ve lost your receipt, now what? Check out the table below for some tips on how to return your item as painlessly as possible:
|Return the item as soon as possible
|Regardless of whether the store has a time limit on item returns or not, you need to return the item as soon as you can. Returning the item on time increases the chances of getting your money back
|Bring proof of purchase
|Every info you have regarding the purchase will improve the likelihood of returning the item without a receipt successfully. Be sure to bring:
|Say it was a gift
|In case you don’t have any evidence of purchase or you’re over the store’s time limit, say that the item you want to return was a gift.
Many stores accept returns for items purchased as gifts, especially during the holiday season
|’s Item Return Request product, and we’ll file a return request in your stead. You won’t have to deal with the store representatives because we’ll handle the situation for you
Returning your unwanted item to the store—with or without a receipt—can be a tedious process. DoNotPay has developed the Item Return Request product that’ll make your life easier. You can save yourself the headache of returning the item on your own and let us do all the work! Here’s what you need to do:
- in your web browser
- Select the Item Return Request product
- Answer our chatbot’s questions
- Add photos of the item you want to return
DoNotPay will send your request explaining the situation to the store you got the item from. We will also add a deadline so that the company takes action faster. You’ll be able to ship your item free of charge as you’ll get a return label.
For information regarding return policies from other companies, check out the table below:
|American Eagle Outfitters
|Bass Pro Shops
Has the Company You Got the Item From Wronged You? DoNotPay Will Help You Sue It in Small Claims Court
If you think that your consumer rights have been violated by a company you got the item from—whether that’s eBay or Walmart—DoNotPay can help you sue it in small claims court! We will:
- Write a demand letter
- Fill out all court forms
- Gather all the necessary paperwork
- File your complaint
- Create a script that will serve as argumentation in the court
DoNotPay is the perfect solution whenever you need to resolve legal or bureaucratic matters. Here’s a fraction of what our AI-driven app can help you out with:
- Jumping the phone queue when reaching out to reps
- Scheduling a DMV appointment in an instant
- Getting compensation from airlines
- Getting robocall compensation
- Fighting email and text spam
- Applying for clinical trials
- Lowering your property taxes
- Dealing with stalkers and harassers
- Composing a child travel consent form
- Getting college application fee waivers
- Getting a refund for a late or missing delivery
- Suing any company or individual in small claims court
Do you have a bunch of subscriptions that you waste money on but don’t even use? We can help you cancel them effortlessly! After that, our app can initiate a refund request and make sure you get your money back.
For a low monthly fee, you’ll get access to our impressive range of products, so sign up now!