Instructions on How To Discover Cash Back on Gift Cards
Do you have any used gift cards lying around in drawers, not knowing whether there’s any money left on them? You’re not the only one—nearly $3 billion of these cards go unused each year! The worst part is that the leftover funds are sent back to the banks and retailers.
If you want to avoid that, learn how to discover cash back on gift cards and get your money with ease!
How Do Gift Cards Work?
Restaurants, bookstores, and clothing stores—nearly every brand offers gift cards nowadays. They make a great present for anyone and are a great way for companies to get extra money from customers.
Not all gift cards are the same—there are several types:
- Single store—They are the most common type, used for shopping from a single brand
- Family of companies—With this type of gift card, you can shop from any merchant within a family of stores
- Category of companies—You can use these gift cards to shop in outlets
- Loyalty or promotional—Some companies give free gift cards to their most loyal customers or new clients as an advertisement
- Multi-store—You can use these cards at several places, usually listed on the card
- Any store—They are the most flexible type, redeemable at boutiques, restaurants, tech stores, grocery stores, etc.
Gift cards usually have some restrictions. The company that provides them should specify if you can:
- Resell or exchange the card
- Transfer its balance to a different card
- Redeem your gift card for cash
- Reload it
- Return it for cash
How To Discover Cash Back on a Gift Card
You can discover the leftover money on your gift card in several ways. You should consult the following table for the most common and reliable methods:
|Online||In most cases, you can check your gift card’s remaining balance on the website of the company that issued it. The process is usually not that complicated:
|By phone||You can discover your balance by contacting the company’s customer support. Call the number from the website and inquire about the remaining funds on your gift card. Provide the customer support agent with your card number and PIN and wait for them to check the balance|
|In person||If the company has a store in your vicinity, you can visit it and bring your gift card with you. When you arrive, ask a cashier or salesperson to check if there’s leftover cash on your card|
|With DoNotPay||DoNotPay provides you with the Check Gift Card Balance feature that helps you discover how much money you have left on your card without breaking a sweat. All you have to do is:
What To Do When You Discover Unused Cash on a Gift Card
Using the remaining balance can be challenging if there’s only $2 or $3 left. Here’s what you can do if there’s still money on your gift card:
- Spend the remaining funds—Even if there’s only a couple of bucks left, you should check what the brand offers. If the company allows it, you can add value to the card and get something you’ve had your eyes on for a while
- Trade the gift card—You can find a gift card exchange group online and ask if anyone wants to trade gift cards with you. If you don’t want another one, you can ask for something else in exchange
- Sell it on an eMarketplace—Visit some of the online marketplaces, such as eBay or Craigslist, and put your gift card for sale
- Redeem it for cash—Even if the company’s terms and conditions state that gift cards aren’t redeemable for cash, you can get your money back if you live in one of the U.S. locations with a cash back policy
Where Can I Get Cash Back From Gift Cards?
Some states and territories in the U.S. have a cash back policy. This means that the companies there are required to give the unused funds back to their customers if they don’t exceed the state limit.
Here are the locations and predefined balance limitations:
What if you don’t live in Puerto Rico or one of these U.S. states? It’s not an obstacle for us—sign up for DoNotPay to get cash back regardless of where you live!
Need To Redeem a Gift Card for Cash? DoNotPay Is the Way To Go!
With DoNotPay, getting cash back from a gift card is an easy task. The process is fast and straightforward—here’s everything you need to do:
- Choose the Gift Card Cash Back feature
- Insert the gift card number, company name, and remaining balance
We will check if your state has a cash back policy. If not, we’ll locate the company’s office in one of the states that do have it and send the request there.
DoNotPay can help you discover and get cash back from any company’s card, including:
- Olive Garden
- Taco Bell
- Dairy Queen
- Banana Republic
- Forever 21
- Victoria's Secret
- Best Buy
- Trader Joe’s
- Red Lobster
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- Barnes & Noble
- TGI Fridays
- American Eagle
- Bath & Body Works
DoNotPay Covers All the Bases
From getting you ready for various government tests to helping you reduce your property taxes, DoNotPay offers valuable assistance with the tasks that make most people at least roll their eyes. Dealing with bureaucracy isn’t fun, but it also doesn’t have to be as difficult as it is.
Every product in DoNotPay’s portfolio is designed to efficiently deal with a specific issue within a few minutes and without sacrificing your comfort. Take a look at the tasks our app can make much more simple:
- Dealing with spam emails and robocalls
- Sending letters to inmates
- Finding and applying for clinical trials
- Getting compensation for victims of crime
- Faxing or mailing documents
- Contacting customer service departments
- Claiming warranties and insurance
A Little More Money Never Hurt Anybody
Hardly anyone would turn down a chance to earn some more cash. That’s why DoNotPay not only protects your rights and interests but also offers great opportunities to improve your financial situation.
With our help, you can find paid clinical trials, locate your missing money in any state, get your cash back from used gift cards, or enter various raffles and win great prizes.