Notarization in Mississippi—Is Visiting a Notary Public in Jackson, MS, Necessary?
Visiting a notary’s office is not the only way to get formal and personal paperwork notarized in Mississippi. Because traditional notarization proved to be demanding and time-consuming, other notarization methods—such as remote online notarization—are gaining popularity and taking over.
What Can a Notary Public in Jackson, MS, Do?
The Mississippi Code authorizes notaries public to detect and prevent fraud by witnessing the signing of numerous business and personal documents, such as:
- Wills (including living wills)
- Adoption papers
- Car titles
- DMV documents
- Child travel consent letters
- Power of attorney forms
- Photocopies of personal documents
The Secretary of State issues the rules that every notary public abides by. The Mississippi Secretary of State also defines notaries’ powers and limitations.
Powers of a Jackson, MS, Notary Public
A notary public in Jackson, MS, is authorized to carry out various notarial acts, including:
- Oaths and affirmations
- Other acts authorized by the Mississippi law
Notary Public in Jackson, MS—Limitations
Since preventing potential fraud is the main responsibility of every notary public, they must not perform the notarization if one of the following situations occurs:
- The signer is not personally present for the notarization
- The notary cannot identify the signer—personally or through an identification document
- The signer is not aware of what they’re signing, or they’re acting under duress
Mississippi In-Person Notarization Process Explained
One of the problems with standard notarization is that it can take days or even weeks. The entire process can be divided into steps—you can check what each step entails in the following table:
|In-Person Notarization Steps||
|Finding a notary||When getting documents notarized the regular way, choosing the nearest notary might be the best solution. You can find a notary public in Jackson in a couple of ways:
|Booking an appointment||Once you choose the notary, you should call or send an email to make an appointment|
|Gather all the documents||If you forget a document or the document that needs to get notarized contains blank pages, the notary can refuse to perform the notarization. Besides that, you should provide a government-issued proof of identity, such as an ID, passport, or driver’s license|
|Going to the notary’s office||Make sure to arrive on time. Otherwise, you might have to reschedule and come again|
|Waiting for the notary to carry out the notarization||Once you’re in the notary’s office, they will verify your identity, witness the signing, and perform required notarial acts|
|Paying notary fees||Notaries in Mississippi may charge from $2 to $5 for each notarial act. You should inform yourself about the exact fee for the notarial act you need and possible additional charges before going to the notary’s office|
|Waiting for the notary to write a journal record and make a notarial certificate||Once the notary completes the notarization, they will write a notarial certificate or statement that contains:
Other Types of Notary Services in Mississippi
In-person notarization is not the only way to get documents notarized in Mississippi. Residents of the Magnolia State can use several notary services to have their documents notarized:
- Electronic notary—Notarization of documents in digital form is similar to traditional notarization. The signer has to come to the notary’s office, and the same rules apply, but the notary creates a digital certificate instead of a written statement
- Mobile notary—As the name suggests, mobile notaries perform their service at the location of your choice. A mobile notary can come to your home, workplace, restaurant, or any other appropriate place. They compensate for the costs of travel by charging an additional fee
- Online notary—On April 7, 2020, the Mississippi government authorized remote online notarization during the COVID-19 pandemic. Online notaries witness signatures and perform notarial acts via audio-video calls, making notarization practical and time-efficient
Find an Online Notary Public in Jackson, MS, in a Breeze!
DoNotPay created a nifty and budget-friendly product that can connect you to an online notary without any hassle. With the Notarize Any Document service, you can get documents notarized at any time because our notary partners offer their service 24/7, 365 days a year.
We value convenience, and that’s why our product is super easy to use—access DoNotPay and follow these steps:
- Choose the Notarize Any Document tool
- Upload the document that needs to get notarized
- Enter your email address and wait for our email
- Click on the link we send you to schedule an appointment with an online notary
DoNotPay Is a Time-Saving App
DoNotPay helps you sort out these tasks and much more in only a few clicks.
Get your revenge on robocallers, report text scammers, find validated clinical trials, claim your warranties, get in touch with your loved ones in prison, and protect your creative content—all in less than five minutes.
No more hours-long phone calls, emails, or in-person visits.