Answers to All Your Questions About Amazon’s Return Policy
The era of online shopping has gone through the roof. Americans are turning to Amazon for purchases they would otherwise make in person.
Not sure how to return an unwanted product to Amazon? DoNotPay is here to clarify all important details regarding Amazon’s return policy and reduce your refund waiting period.
The Amazon return policy requires your items to be undamaged and unpacked to be eligible for a full refund.
The return process for products bought online can be initiated via the company website or in store. For articles you got in one of the stores, the only return option is in person.
Your return request can be rejected when it comes to perishable items, used service, and hardware or software products, such as:
- Health and personal care products
- Live plants and insects
- Downloadable software
- Online subscriptions you have already used
- Prepaid game cards (e.g., World of Warcraft, Xbox 360 Live, Wii Points, and others)
The same applies to Amazon products purchased from a third party.
Amazon’s 30-day return policy applies to the majority of items. This goes for products bought both online and in Amazon stores.
Some exceptions to the 30-day policy are:
- Products bought from third-party sellers—depending on the seller, the return period can be between seven and 30 days
- Faulty items might be accepted after the 30 days have passed
- Baby gear is accepted within 90 days of receipt of shipment
- Mattresses can be returned within 100 days of receipt
- Wedding Gift Registry items have a 180-day return period, while gifts purchased from the Baby Registry can be returned within 365 days
If you’re a Prime member, you might be confused about the return policy when it comes to free returns.
According to the subscription service, all items weighing under 50 lbs should be covered by the free return benefit. To make sure this applies to your item, check for the Free Returns label next to its price.
In some cases, if the costs of shipping the item back exceed the refund amount, you’ll be allowed to keep the product.
|Can You Initiate a Return Via||Yes/No|
You can initiate your item return process in Amazon's Online Return Center. Here are the steps:
- Go to Your Orders
- Choose the order that contains the item you wish to return
- Select Return or Replace Items
- Mark the item you want to return
- Select an option from the Reason for return list
- Choose how to process your return
- Choose between a refund or replacement
- Mark the return method you want to proceed with (in-store drop-off or via-mail shipping)
- Print out your return label and return authorization
- Add the label to the packaged item
If your item is sold by an Amazon seller, you'll see the Submit return request option. It takes around two business days to process your request.
To return products you got from an Amazon store, follow these steps:
- Put the product in the original packaging
- Bring your receipt (email or paper) that contains your order number
- Take the product to one of the stores
You can also try reaching Amazon’s customer support center at 1-888-280-4331 (toll-free) or 001-206-922-0880 (international).
Amazon is a huge corporation, and it can take a while to get an agent on the line. DoNotPay can help you reach them in a flash.
Amazon states that you should receive your refund between a week and two weeks from filing a request. These estimations can often be off, and you may have to wait for a month or longer to get your money back. The boost that online shopping has had recently only added days to this waiting period.
No worries—you can always rely on DoNotPay to send out a return request with a deadline by which Amazon needs to process it. You’ll save a lot of time and nerves.
Companies have their lengthy and tedious return claim processes for a reason—it discourages customers from getting a refund or a product replacement.
With DoNotPay as your assistant, you can send out these requests in a jiffy. All you need to do is:
- Log in to your DoNotPay account using any web browser
- Go to Item Return Request
- Respond to some questions about the product in question
- Click Submit to send the request
Using the info you have provided, DoNotPay will create a return request letter and mail it to Amazon.
The company will receive all relevant info about the product to set the return process in motion. It’s up to you to choose the compensation you wish to receive—a refund or replacement.
Don’t worry if your package doesn’t comply with the requirements for a free return as stated in Amazon's return policy. DoNotPay generates a return label so you can ship your item free of charge.
We can also help you with filing return requests to other corporations, such as:
If you want to both return your item and get a refund for it, you can count on your personal AI-powered assistant. These two products aren’t the only tricks DoNotPay has up its sleeve, though!
With our app, you can also claim insurance, get an extended warranty, find your missing assets, request refunds from airlines, reduce your property taxes, lower your utility bills, sign up for free trials without getting charged, get free raffle tickets, and a lot more.
If you want to avoid wasting your money, DoNotPay can cancel any subscription or membership in your stead and provide you with a virtual credit card that will prevent auto-renewal charges once your free trials expire!
Are you sick of waiting in lines? So are most of our app’s users! You can say no to endless lines at the DMV if you sign up for a DoNotPay account. Our app can also help you jump the phone queue when you need to get in touch with a customer service representative.
If any company refuses to cooperate with you, our app will prepare all of the necessary legal paperwork and help you sue it in small claims court. Need to have any of your documents notarized? No worries—DoNotPay will employ an online notary and help you schedule your appointment. You can also e-sign and send the document to anyone using our Online Fax product.