The Best Way To Obtain Jewish College Scholarships
As tuition fees become higher each academic year, students find it increasingly more difficult to finish their education. Luckily, the number of governments, organizations, and companies that provide financial aid to students—especially the ones in college—is also on the rise.
Scholarships and grants offer help to students of various backgrounds. In this guide, we’ll explain how Jewish college scholarships work and show you:
- Where to find scholarships for Jewish students
- How to apply for them
- How to use DoNotPay to optimize your results
Jewish student scholarships can come from a variety of sources:
- Federal and state governments
- Private companies and donors
- Organizations related to the Jewish community
Depending on the award provider, students may need to show different levels of how Jewish they are. For instance, some scholarships are available only to those who are active within the Jewish community and go to religious services. Other awards only require students to be of Jewish descent.
In some cases, applicants don’t even have to be Jewish—these awards are for students interested in Judaism and foreign languages related to Jews, such as Hebrew or Yiddish.
Aside from being Jewish, students need to meet other criteria as well, which are different for each scholarship. There are several factors award providers take into account when they determine which students are eligible to apply, as seen in the table below:
|Level of study|
|Field of study|
Jewish college scholarships are divided into two main groups, as follows:
- Merit-based programs
- Need-based grants
Merit scholarships go to Jewish students who demonstrate personal achievement related to the Jewish community or their field of study, as well as academic excellence. These awards have minimum requirements but are highly competitive, so it isn’t likely for you to get them if you meet only the basic criteria.
Students need to show their:
- Class rank
- SAT or ACT scores
- Letters of recommendation from respectable members of the Jewish community or teachers
- Resume of volunteer work and involvement with projects within the Jewish community
- Satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
- Essays on various topics, including career goals and the Jewish faith
These are some of the popular Jewish college scholarships:
|Scholarship Name||Requirements||Award Amount|
|The Nathan J. and Virginia H. Friedman College Scholarship||
|Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago Scholarships||
||Up to $8,000|
|The Gail Karp Orgell Scholarship||$2,000–$4,000|
|Helen B. and Lewis E. Goldstein Scholarship||
Scholarships for Jews also offer help to Jewish students who don’t have the required academic achievements to secure a merit-based award. These financial aid programs focus on students who demonstrate financial need—the inability to cover tuition fees by themselves.
Students need to fill out the College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile or the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form to be eligible for this type of award. This way, they can prove their Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which needs to be below a certain limit that’s proposed by individual programs.
Some need-based Jewish college scholarships include:
- The Judy Kay Wendland-Young Scholarship
- Jewish Endowment Foundation Scholarships (for Jewish women)
- The Jewish Scholarship Service of Pittsburgh
- Nathan L. Lewis Memorial Scholarship
The biggest problem with scholarships is that there are many of them, yet they are hard to find online. Researching financial aid programs is a tedious task, and it can take you months to spot one—or more—you’re eligible for.
If you feel like you’ve hit a dead-end, here are a few tips on where you can continue your search:
- Your school’s financial aid office
- Private financial aid consultant
- Online search tools
- Your synagogue
- Jewish organizations, such as Hillel International, Jewish Community Federation & Endowment Fund, Jewish United Fund, etc.
You can use DoNotPay to complete the entire research process within five minutes. Our app will provide you with t a custom list of all scholarships you’re eligible for as soon as you sign up!
The way you apply for an award depends entirely on the program itself. Each scholarship has its own set of requirements, and you’ll have to do your research before you start applying. In general, you should always make sure you tick the following boxes:
- You meet all the requirements
- The deadline has not passed
- You have all the necessary paperwork (application form, essays, cover letter, transcripts, etc.)
Searching for various scholarships and going through application processes is a time-consuming affair, but you no longer have to waste your time on it. DoNotPay allows you to learn about all available scholarships you can apply for and find out what the requirements and award amounts are.
You only need to complete the following steps:
- Sign up for DoNotPay
- Select the Apply for Scholarships product
- Answer a few questions from our chatbot
When you provide information about your academic performance and financial standing, our app will create a list of all awards you’re eligible for.
If the list shows some no-essay scholarships you’re interested in, you can apply directly within the app. Select the ones you like, and we will complete the application process on your behalf.
Are you tired of dealing with bureaucratic or legal matters on your own? You no longer have to—as soon as you subscribe to DoNotPay, we’ll take any exhausting task off your plate.
Our app is capable of drawing up legal documents—including marital settlement agreements, child travel consent forms, powers of attorney, defamation demand letters, and affidavits to homeschool—getting them notarized remotely, filing complaints against companies, suing any individual or corporation in small claims court, sending FOIA requests, and so much more.
DoNotPay’s capabilities don’t end there—we can also:
- Cancel any subscription
- Get you a burner number
- Help you get a tourist visa
- Send an item return request
- Help you apply for any clinical trial
- Create perfect and valid passport photos
- Schedule a DMV appointment fast in your stead
- Look up any sex offender lurking in your neighborhood
- Help you get in touch with government representatives
- Sign you up for free trials with a virtual credit card
- File warranty and insurance claims for you
- Help you fight email and text spam
- Get you in touch with an inmate
- Mail anything in your stead
- Offer an online fax service