Temporary Phone Number—What Is It Used for and Why Would You Want One?
Tired of robocalls and spam text messages that occur as a result of you leaving your phone number on various websites? Are you worried about the safety of your private information? 80% of Americans are.
People are getting hesitant to give their real phone numbers to businesses because they believe that the government and some companies track our every move.
There are some companies that use our private information for target advertising, but is this necessary? Are you looking to protect your private information from various dangers of the internet?
Create a fake phone number in under three minutes with DoNotPay, relieve yourself of stress, and save some time and money!
What Are Temporary Phone Numbers?
A temporary phone number is a virtual number that isn’t connected to a telephone line and an owner. A fake phone number isn’t assigned to a single location—it exists in a virtual phone system that is a part of the software as a service (SaaS). Virtual phone numbers can be generated in various ways.
They usually have an expiration date, and after your virtual phone number expires, it gets deactivated.
You can use temporary phone numbers to:
- Sign up for services
- Protect your privacy
- Get a verification code for Google, Facebook, and other signups
- Fill out a survey
- Give it to strangers on dating apps
Why Would You Need a Fake Temporary Phone Number?
The most common reason why people use temporary phone numbers is that they want to protect their privacy and identity. We may assume that we’re being tracked by the government and companies, but we don’t want to make it easier for them. You can limit the information someone has on you by using a fake phone number.
The advantages of a temporary phone number are that it:
- Will protect your personal information
- Will help you avoid being a victim of spam
- Can help you avoid stalkers
How To Get a Temporary Phone Number
You can get a temporary phone number in a few ways. They all differ to some degree, but all of them should be effective. Check out a few of the methods that you can use to get a temporary phone number:
- Using a burner phone—You can buy an older model of a phone such as a Nokia 3310 and a prepaid SIM card at AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon. This option isn’t as affordable as some of the others
- Downloading a fake phone number app—You can find countless apps in your Play Store or App Store. Apps for temporary phone numbers have in-app purchases
- Using temporary phone number websites—There is a variety of websites for fake phone numbers, but the chances are that some of those numbers were already used. With some of them, you might not be able to receive SMS or calls
|Ways of Acquiring a Temporary Phone Number||Pros||Cons|
Using burner phones
Downloading fake number apps
Using temporary phone number websites
Get a Temporary Phone Number With DoNotPay
DoNotPay is one of the best fake phone number apps, and we offer you a free virtual phone number for SMS verification. Our temporary number will enable you to receive a verification SMS for any service that you sign up for. The number will be active for 10 minutes and available for one-time use only. When your 10 minutes expire, the number will be deactivated and the data you’ve received deleted.
You can also protect yourself from robocalls and spam text messages by using our burner phone feature. You won’t have to block spam texts on Android or iPhone because you’ll never reveal your real phone number to begin with.
Open DoNotPay in your web browser to create an account, and follow these steps to get your temporary phone number:
- Sign in to your account
- Open the Burner Phone feature
- Type in the name of the company you want to give your fake number to
- Tap on Create a Temporary Number
Some companies will bill you $50 a year for one burner number, while DoNotPay’s services are included in your subscription. DoNotPay is among the most inexpensive and easy-to-use apps out there. Our app will also enable you to use as many different numbers as you need.
We strive to provide you with more ways to protect your privacy, and one of them is our virtual credit card feature.
DoNotPay Has Another Awesome Feature—The Free Trial Card
DoNotPay’s virtual credit cards are fake card numbers that you can use to sign up for free trials. If you are one to forget about signing up for a free trial only to get unwanted charges after your account renews automatically, then you should get our free virtual credit card! It will enable you to sign up for as many free trials as you like without worrying about canceling on time.
This is how it works:
- You get a new credit card number and expiry date via a virtual credit card generator
- You type in that number and expiry date when signing up for a free trial
- The virtual credit card gets instant approval because it looks like a real credit card to the merchant
- The company tries to charge you after the free trial expires but they can’t because your virtual credit card has no deposit
- The company cancels your account automatically
The only case where a virtual credit card won’t work is when the service needs to place an authorization hold on your card to check whether you have funds.
DoNotPay Can Be a Permanent Solution for Most of Your Administrative Problems
Aside from helping you protect your privacy, DoNotPay can solve many other issues for you. Our app is called the first robot lawyer for a good reason—the ABA honored us with the Louis M. Brown Award for Legal Access. Our app helped countless Americans get justice in small claims court and protect their consumer rights.
If you want to see what else we can do apart from providing you with temporary phone numbers and virtual credit cards, open DoNotPay in your web browser and create an account.
We will give you the proper tools to:
- Apply for various clinical trials
- Fight speeding citations
- Contact your friends or family in prison
- Find your missing money
- Postpone bills you’re unable to pay
- Protect yourself from copyright infringement
- Keep your inbox spick and span from spam emails
- Fill out and file claims in small claims court
- Dispute parking citations in any city
- Report stalking and harassment
- Cancel any subscription or membership
- Make a DMV appointment in the blink of an eye
- Use burner phones to bypass verification
- Request a refund from any company
- Get in touch with a customer service agent quickly
- File a claim for any warranty
- Waive college application fees
- Sign up for a variety of free trials without leaving credit card info
- Report robocalls and get compensation
- Get refunds or compensation from airline companies
- Block spam text messages and report illegal ones
- Appeal traffic citations
- Deal with your credit card problems