Protect Yourself—Learn How To Stop Spam Texts on iPhone
Spammers are everywhere—you have to deal with their emails, robocalls, and spam text messages. Among those, spam text messages may be the easiest to ignore, but you should never do that. You should be careful with how you deal with them because they can make a mess of your life. Spam text messages may cost you lots of money and nerves, so learn how to protect yourself. If you use an iPhone, you can find a way to stop spammers from texting you. To find out how you can block messages on iPhone or get back at scammers with DoNotPay, read on!
Spam Text Messages and Their Purpose
Some spam texts are created for promotional purposes, while others are written with the tendency to get your personal information. Marketing spam text can be nothing else but annoying—what you should be careful about are unsolicited texts coming from unknown senders. Usually, scammers hide behind those kinds of text messages.
By using phishing/smishing methods, scammers will try to elicit your personal data such as your bank account details, Social Security number, or passwords to some accounts. Once they get your information, they might abuse it to buy products and services in your name, withdraw money from your bank account, and create fake documents, among other things.
Scam Text Characteristics
Even though it can be difficult to differentiate between scam texts and messages that come from legit companies, there are some things that can expose the scammers. If you are not sure whether scammers have targeted you by sending you spam texts, pay attention to the way the message is written. When you get a message from an unknown number, examine whether the message:
- Has any grammar or spelling mistakes
- Promises you gifts, prizes, or free products and tickets
- Prompts you to act urgently
- Wants you to open a link to claim your reward
- Tells you your bank account has been suspended and asks for your credit card number
- Asks you to send money to a family member in crisis
- Wants to know your Apple ID
If you notice any of the giveaways, there is a great chance you are dealing with scammers. Check out some of the examples of text scams.
Are Spam Text Messages Illegal?
Sending unsolicited text messages is considered illegal. Companies and businesses can send you text messages only if they have your permission. You give them your approval to send you messages when you give them your number.
What Should I Do if I Get a Spam Text Message?
Here are some tips on how to handle spams text messages:
|Check if the number is too long|
Don’t respond to the message
Protect your phone with an anti-malware app
|Don’t open any links|
|Install a third-party text blocker|
Don’t reveal any of your personal details
What Are the Ways To Report Spam Texts on iPhone?
If you have an iPhone, there are several things you can do to fight spam text messages:
- Block the number that’s sending you spam texts
- Filter messages from unknown numbers
- Report spam
How To Block Contacts on iPhone
One of the ways to stop getting spam texts is to block contacts on your iPhone. To block numbers, follow these steps:
- Tap the message from the number you want to block
- Click on Info
- Find and click Block This Caller
With this done, you shouldn’t get messages from that number anymore. If you want to add more numbers to the blocked list, do this:
- Find Settings
- Click on Phone
- Choose Blocked Contacts
- Tap Add New and click on the contact you want to block
This way, you can only prevent getting messages from the contacts you already have. Spammers often change their numbers, so you might get the same text spam from other numbers.
How To Filter iMessages
You can also eliminate spam texts by filtering your iMessages. You can do this when you:
- Go to Settings
- Tap Messages
- Turn on Filter Unknown Senders
After you do this, all messages from unknown numbers will show up in a separate tab. If you haven’t added some of the legitimate numbers to your contact list, their messages will end up in the separate tab too. If you expect a message from any service, check the tab with filtered messages as well.
How Do You Report Spam Text Messages on iPhone?
You can report spam text on iPhone when you:
- Click Report Junk under the message
- Tap on Delete and Report Junk
This won’t block the number that is sending you text messages immediately but will send the spammer’s info to Apple. They will investigate the reported spam and eventually stop the spammers from sending you messages.
Use DoNotPay To Get Your Revenge on Spammers
Blocking spammers may work for some time because they tend to change numbers frequently. If you want to do more than just block the numbers and fight back, use DoNotPay! When you receive a message asking for your credit card details, log in to the DoNotPay app in your web browser or iOS device, and do the following:
- Find the Robo Revenge option
- Create a virtual credit card by clicking on Create Your Card
- Give scammers the credit card number we generate for you
- Let DoNotPay find out who the scammers claim to be
- Demand compensation with DoNotPay’s help
When the scammers use the credit card you provided, DoNotPay will be able to track them and discover who they are. Once you know their identity, you can demand compensation or take the scammers to court with DoNotPay’s help.
Other Ways To Prevent Receiving Spam Texts
As spammers always find new ways to reach you, you should always have various types of protection. Here is what you can do to guard yourself:
What To Do
How It Helps
Register at the National Do Not Call Registry
Refrain from giving your number to companies
DoNotPay Deals With Administration for You
Apart from dealing with spammers, DoNotPay can help you with tons of administrative tasks. Access DoNotPay either through your web browser or your iOS device and get our assistance. DoNotPay can help you:
- Get compensation and refunds for delayed or canceled flights
- Cancel your subscriptions or memberships
- Schedule a DMV appointment fast
- Save on your bills
- Bring people and companies to small claims court
- Fight traffic tickets
- Sign up for free trials with no worries of being charged afterward
- Reach customer service in no time
- Dispute speeding tickets
- Get rid of spam mail forever
- Get refunds from any company
- Deal with credit card issues
- Block spam text messages
- Contest parking tickets
- Fight robocalls
- Protect yourself from stalking and harassment