Signed, Sealed, and Witnessed—NYS Notary Services Explained
Getting a document notarized in NYS and anywhere else can be a hassle, which may leave you wondering why you need to notarize a document in the first place. Apart from making it legitimate, a document with a notary signature has proof that the signers entered into it willingly. A notary should check for any signs of fraud and witness the signing.
Besides the regular in-person notary service, there are different types of notaries available in New York. We’ll break down all your options and help you get the most affordable and convenient NYS notary service.
What Types of Notary Services Do New York Notary Laws Allow?
Different types of notaries in New York include the following:
- Notary—notarizes documents at their place of business, which means you have to visit them in person to have your document notarized
- Notary signing agent—typically deals with loans
- Mobile notary—goes to an agreed-upon location (e.g., the client’s home or office)
- Online notary—notarizes documents virtually through a live video call
Until 2020, remote or online notarizations were not permitted in NYS. In response to the pandemic, you can now get your documents legally notarized online with certain requirements.
Online Notarization in New York Explained
Before you opt for remote notarization, consider the following requirements:
|Online Notarization Requirements From March 2020
|Additional Requirements for Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney, and Health Care Proxies
How Much Does a New York State Notary Charge?
The notary cost in New York varies depending on what you need to notarize. Here’s the price range you can expect:
- Jurats—$2.00 each
- Oaths & affirmations—$2.00 each
- Protests—$0.75 and $0.10 per notice
- Proofs—$2.00 and $2.00 for each sworn witness
- Acknowledgments—$2.00 and $2.00 for each witness
NYS Notary Lookup on Your Own
If you want to find a notary in NYS by yourself, you can check the phonebook, google, or use one of these websites:
This process may take a long time as you need to:
- Adjust the filters to look for a notary in your location
- Find one
- Contact them to book an appointment
- Visit them if they don’t offer remote notarization
- Go with the other signing parties bringing the documents and your IDs
Using DoNotPay to notarize your affidavit or any contract is much easier because we do all the work!
Use DoNotPay To Get Documents Notarized in New York
When you need a notary, DoNotPay can swoop in and take care of everything! We’ll find a notary who can perform virtual notarization so that you don’t have to leave your home. You don’t even have to worry about varying notary prices. With our low monthly fee, you can notarize documents multiple times and have access to other features of our app.
Once you open DoNotPay in a , do the following to get your document notarized:
- Type in Notarize Any Document in the search field
- Upload your document
- Enter your email address
- Check your email for a link
We’ll send you a link that will let you set up an online notary appointment whenever it’s convenient for you.
Kill Two Birds With One Stone—Draw Up and Notarize Documents With DoNotPay
Besides having a virtual assistant who will locate a notary and help you schedule an appointment, DoNotPay can draft numerous legal documents in your stead. All you have to do is answer a few questions to customize it, and your document will be ready for notarizing.
can help you write the following legal documents:
|List of Documents
More Notary Questions? We Can Help!
Our learning center is a vast knowledge base helping you find answers to numerous questions, such as:
- What is notary acknowledgment?
- Can you write a will and get it notarized?
- Is a notarized document legally binding?
- How long is a notarized document valid?
- What can be notarized?
- Can you notarize a document at the USPS?
- Does AAA offer notary services?
Fighting Administration Is Easier With DoNotPay
Bureaucracy is a disease of the modern world, and we finally have a cure. Thanks to artificial intelligence, DoNotPay knows how to handle numerous rules and regulations and make your life so much easier.
Our bots ask you a few questions, gather the necessary info, and off they go! Filing warranty and insurance claims, requesting property tax reductions, getting access to public records, or claiming unclaimed funds under your name—you can deal with these bothersome tasks from the comfort of your home and within minutes!
How Else Can We Help?
Not only does DoNotPay handle bureaucracy, but it also saves you money in the process. Whether you’re looking for the best learning materials for government tests or planning to comb through and cancel streaming subscriptions you don’t use, DoNotPay can give a helping hand.