Understanding the “Item Will Come in Original Packaging, but the Packaging Will Be Damaged” Disclaimer
Have you ever browsed through the Amazon Warehouse website and saw the “Item will come in original packaging, but the packaging will be damaged” or a similar disclaimer? If you’re wondering what this statement means and whether you should buy the product in question, you’re in the right place!
Amazon Warehouse resells pre-owned products that have been returned for various reasons. These items can be like new, slightly used, or damaged, and they are sold at a discount.
Amazon employees inspect and grade each product to establish the quality and price—the bigger the damage, the higher the discount.
Most items have a disclaimer regarding the damaged packaging, which doesn’t mean the product itself is faulty.
Each product has a listing comment that describes its condition:
|Renewed||A renewed item works and looks like new, and it has minimal or no signs of wear. This product has no visible damages from 12 inches away. You’ll receive all accessories, and the product will come with Amazon Renewed Guarantee|
|Used—Like New||A like-new item is in perfect working condition. The product might come in original packaging with minor damage|
|Used—Very Good||A product classified as “Very Good” is in good working condition even though it has seen limited use. Minor scratches and other cosmetic damages might be present. Some items might come without accessories|
|Used—Good||An item that remains in good working condition but shows wear and has cosmetic damage is classified as “Good.” The product could be missing:
|Used—Acceptable||An acceptable product continues to function properly even though it’s fairly worn. This item will come with dents, significant scratches, and other signs of cosmetic damage. It could also be missing accessories and most parts as well as assembly tools and the instruction manual|
Did Amazon send the wrong item, or does the product you ordered have more cosmetic damage than you expected? Whichever the case might be, you have the right to file a delivery claim, return the package, and:
- Request a refund
- Exchange it for another item with the same listing condition
To be eligible for a refund or exchange, you need to return your product within 30 days from the day of purchase. Items with the “Renewed” listing condition are covered with a 90-day return policy.
If you’d like to request an Amazon refund for damaged products, you can do so by following these steps:
- Log in to your Amazon account
- Visit the Your Orders page
- Pick the order
- Choose Problem With Order
- Select the issue
- Click on the Request Refund option
- Provide a detailed explanation and click on Submit
You can also ask for a refund by calling Amazon customer support or contacting them via an online form. To complete the form, do the following:
- Open your Amazon account
- Go to the Help & Customer Service page
- Click on Returns & Refunds
- Complete further instructions
Note that you’ll probably have to return the product to be eligible to get your money back. Sometimes, Amazon approves a refund request without the product return.
To return an Amazon item, follow these steps:
- Go to the Your Orders page
- Click on the Return or Replace Items option
- Choose the item you’d like to return
- Select the reason for return
- Pick whether you want a refund or a replacement
- Click on your preferred return method
- Pack your item and send it with the return label provided by Amazon
Does this process seem time-consuming? Rely on DoNotPay’s Item Return Request product and deal with a faulty product in a jiffy! We will:
- Generate a custom item return request letter
- Send the letter to Amazon
- Let Amazon know whether you want a refund or replacement
If you—like most people—find the Amazon refund process too confusing, you should rely on DoNotPay. We can help you handle delivery complaints in a matter of minutes.
- Register for DoNotPay
- Enter the delivery issue you’re facing in the Search tab (e.g., late delivery, damaged item, and similar)
- Pick the courier
- Describe the problem you’re facing
We will submit the claim on your behalf.
Besides helping you get your money back for a damaged Amazon warehouse item, DoNotPay can also assist you with:
- Dealing with a lost USPS package and a late delivery
- Filing a claim for a lost or late FedEx package
- Requesting a refund for a lost UPS item or a package that didn’t arrive on the delivery date
Our app can do more than request delivery refunds for you. We can help you identify all your hidden expenses and save your money for more relevant matters. If you use DoNotPay, you can:
- Cancel any unused subscription you pay for every month without realizing it
- Reduce property taxes by applying for exemptions and appealing property assessments
- Return faulty products to any company regardless of their returns policy
- Contest parking tickets in any city, county, or state
- Get extensions on your bills during difficult times
- Sign up for free trials without fearing auto-renewal charges
- Find unclaimed money in any state in the U.S.
Not only can we eliminate all hidden expenses you have, but we can help you put more money in your pocket! We don’t let you forget the smaller but meaningful gains you can make from gift card cash backs, raffle ticket wins, or warranty claims. Our nifty app can also assist you in getting some serious cash by way of chargebacks, insurance claims, airline compensation, college fee waivers, paid clinical trials, or crime victims compensation. We can also show you how to sue any company or individual for compensation in small claims court.