Is Your Package Delayed in Transit? Find Out How To File a Complaint!
If your package gets delayed in transit, chances are an unexpected issue occurred. We’ll help you get to the bottom of what happened and show you how to file a USPS lost package claim if need be.
Sign up for DoNotPay to handle issues with deliveries the easy way!
Before you start stressing about your package being late, double-check the delivery standard for the mail class you chose. Look at the table below for details:
|Mail Class||Delivery Standard|
|First-Class Mail||1–3 business days|
|Priority Mail||1, 2, or 3 business days|
|Priority Mail Express||1–2 calendar days|
|USPS Retail Ground||2–8 business days|
|Media Mail||2–8 business days|
|Bound Printed Matter||2–8 business days|
|Parcel Select parcels||2–9 business days|
|Parcel Select Lightweight parcels||2–9 business days|
|USPS Marketing Mail||3–10 business days|
If your package is taking longer than estimated, it likely got delayed, which can happen for a number of reasons. These are the most common ones:
- You gave an incorrect address
- The package was sent from overseas
- You failed to provide the required documentation
- The ordered items are restricted and prohibited from selling/buying
- Poor weather or roadblocks
- The package got lost or wasn’t properly packed
- The shipment is either heavier or bigger than allowed
You can track your delayed USPS package to see where it got held up. Here are the available tracking methods you can use:
|Tracking Method||How It Works|
|Phone||You can call USPS customer service and ask where your package is. Here are the instructions:
|USPS website||To track your package online via the UPS website, follow these steps:
If you want to use this method, you must provide your tracking number. Ask the shipper to send it to you if you don’t have it
|Text message||To track your package via text message, text your tracking number to 28777 (2USPS)|
|USPS mobile app||You can use the official USPS app to track your delayed package. You have to download it on Google Play or Apple's App Store and use it to track your parcel|
If you want to contact a USPS representative and inquire about your delayed package, you have two available choices. You can contact them by calling or visiting the nearest USPS location in person:
- Calling the USPS customer support—Dial 1-800-275-8777 and explain your issue to a rep. Tell them your parcel is delayed and ask for further instructions
- Visiting a nearby USPS location—Go to the nearest USPS location and ask for help with your request
If you want to file a USPS claim, you can do it in case your package is lost or damaged. They don’t accept claims for missing packages, but if the courier doesn’t succeed in locating your parcel, it will be declared lost. That’s when you can file your claim—keep in mind that you have to do it within 60 days of the date of mailing.
If you’re looking for a super quick and simple way to file claims for late, missing, or damaged parcels, you’re in the right place! DoNotPay can cut your work in half by using the info you provide to file a claim and request a refund in your stead! Forget about waiting in lines or spending hours talking to a customer rep—work smarter, not harder! Complete the following instructions to get started:
- Sign up for DoNotPay
- Select the Late Delivery Refund feature
- Pick the courier and provide the required info
And you’re done! DoNotPay submits the claim to the USPS claims department on your behalf. You can also use our app to file a USPS insurance claim in a few minutes!
If you have additional concerns and questions regarding USPS service, we’ll help you get informed. Check out the list below for answers to commonly asked questions about USPS deliveries:
- How late does USPS deliver packages?
- Why is my USPS package still in transit?
- How long does it take to receive a USPS package from China?
- What should I do if my USPS package goes the wrong way?
- Can I file a claim if my USPS package doesn’t arrive on the expected delivery date?
- What should I do if USPS package tracking won’t update?
- Should I file a claim if USPS says ‘delivered in mailbox,’ but there is no package in sight?
DoNotPay is capable of way more than handling late or missed deliveries. We are experts in securing refunds and chargebacks, gift card cash backs, airline compensation, as well as making returns on unsatisfactory purchases. We have a way of dealing with hard-to-reach customer services and hard-to-get-out-of mailing lists.
If you need to deal with important paperwork, our app can assist you every step of the way. We can draft legal documents for you and show you how to write them yourself; we can connect you with a remote notary who can notarize your documents 24/7; we can also help you send the docs to any recipient using our convenient online fax functionality!
For a full scope of our services, check out our learning center.
It's not easy to keep tabs on your obligations during these trying times ridden with uncertainty. That is why DoNotPay has developed numerous features to help you cross tasks off your list while staying safely in your home. Here's what else you can get done from the comfort of your armchair through our app:
- Apply for property tax exemptions virtually
- Submit crime victims compensation requests
- Get extensions on your bills
- Get free trials for streaming, gaming, or other services to pass the time indoors
- Request college fee waivers
- Connect with a loved one in jail
- Stay safe from online stalkers and harassers
- Mail letters
- Complain about noisy neighbors