Cash Gift Cards With No Fee—Are They Just an Urban Legend?
We all have that one person who’s difficult to buy presents for. Buying them a gift card for their favorite restaurant, coffee shop, or retail company can be a great present, but there is something even better. If you don’t know what to get someone who always returns their presents, give them something they can’t return—a cash gift card!
With DoNotPay’s help, you can find out where to get cash gift cards with no fees!
Cash gift cards are prepaid cards, usually issued by financial institutions or credit card companies, such as:
- American Express
They come with preset amounts, and you can use them online and in every shop, store, restaurant, or gas station that accepts payments from the company that issued the card. The problem with cash gift cards is that they usually require a purchase fee.
One of the most popular prepaid cards is a Visa gift card.
Most Visa cash gift cards come with an activation fee. In the table below, you can see how much the purchase or activation fee varies depending on the card’s balance:
The purchase fee varies only if the cash gift card is physical. If you have a digital Visa gift card, the activation fee is $5.95, regardless of the balance.
To avoid paying the activation fee, you should purchase a Visa gift card in one of the following financial institutions:
- TD Bank—The bank offers fee-free Visa gift cards to the account holders in amounts ranging from $25 to $750. They can be used wherever Visa credit cards are acceptable
- Bank of the Ozarks—You can get the Bank of the Ozarks Visa gift card in amounts between $10 and $1,000. You can use it for online purchases and everywhere Visa cards are acceptable
- Navy Federal Credit Union—This credit union offers fee-free Visa gift cards to their members, in amounts varying from $15 to $500
- Republic Bank—Clients of Republic Bank can get fee-free Visa gift cards in amounts ranging from $25 to $250. Unlike those from TD Bank, Bank of the Ozarks, and Navy Federal Credit Union, Republic Bank Visa gift cards are non-reloadable
Other than purchasing gift cards with no fee, you can try one of the following gift card money-saving methods:
- Buying discounted gift cards from exchange websites
- Purchasing discounted gift cards from eBay and Craigslist
- Using reward points
- Looking for promotion codes
You can find numerous gift card exchange websites where you can get merchant-branded gift cards at a discounted price. Keep in mind that not all of these websites are reliable, and always do research before completing the purchase.
Another way to find discounted merchant-branded gift cards is to visit eBay, Craigslist, and other eMarketplaces. Unlike other websites, eBay offers the possibility to bid on the gift card you want. While this option may take some time, if you’re patient, you can save a lot more money.
Reward points—or credit card points—are part of loyalty programs that many financial institutions offer. They are a type of incentive that clients earn through special purchases. Some credit card companies reward their clients with gift cards from famous brands for collecting a certain amount of points. Some of the brands are Kohl’s, Macy’s, and Bed Bath & Beyond.
On eBay, Craigslist, and gift card exchange websites, you can find not only merchant-branded but also cash gift cards. To save money this way, you have to wait for a purchase fee promotion code.
Besides helping you save money on gift cards, DoNotPay can also assist you in redeeming the remaining balance on them. Do you have a gift card you no longer want to use? Don’t let the leftover money go to waste! Use DoNotPay to get the cash back in three steps!
- Choose the Gift Card Cash Back tool
- Enter a few details about your card—number, remaining balance, and the company’s name
We’ll examine the company’s cash back policy. If they don’t allow redeeming gift cards for cash, we will check if they have a branch in Puerto Rico or one of the 11 states where that’s required by law!
DoNotPay will contact the company with the request, and you can expect your cash within two weeks!
DoNotPay can help you check balance and redeem cash from numerous companies’ gift cards. In the table below, you can find some of them:
Use DoNotPay if you have any gift card-related question, such as:
- Where can I sell my gift card?
- How can I get free gift cards?
- Can I return my gift card for cash?
- How should I use the remaining balance on my gift card?
In the golden age of consumerism, it’s easy to fall for greedy corporations’ tricks and waste your money, sometimes without even knowing it. We are here to nip the money-grabbing techniques in the bud!
With your DoNotPay account, you’ll be able to sign up for free trials without worrying about losing money once the trial expires. Are you also concerned about your privacy since most free trials require credit card info? With DoNotPay’s virtual credit card, your privacy will remain intact.
If you need help returning an item or claiming its insurance or warranty, we’ll help you throughout the entire procedure.
DoNotPay can help you overturn your parking tickets, apply for a college fee waiver, lower your property taxes, and get free raffle tickets. We can also show you the best way to discover your unclaimed money and obtain different types of refunds and compensation involving airlines, gift cards, and late deliveries.