Amtrak Lost and Found—A Simple Guide to Locating the Missing Item
Losing a valuable object is a stressful experience, but if you are lucky and resourceful enough, you might get it back. A missing phone or wallet could end up anywhere, but having a general idea when you last saw them, increases your chances of finding them.
If you believe that your item could’ve gone missing on the National Railroad Passenger Corporation territory, you should contact the Amtrak Lost and Found department. DoNotPay will provide you with all the relevant info on how to try and get your valuables back.
If you believe you lost something on one of the Amtrak trains or train stations, you must contact the company’s customer service. You can do so in the following ways:
- Over the phone
- Via an online form
- By talking to an Amtrak representative at your arrival station
One of the ways to search for a lost item is to call Amtrak customer service and possibly wait on hold for ages. Should you still choose this option, here’s the drill:
- Call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245)
- Explain why you are calling
- Provide the rep with the info they need, such as:
- Item description
- Your route
- Date you lost it
- Approximate time you lost it
The customer representative will explain further steps you’ll need to take.
You can also let Amtrak know you’ve lost an item by completing an online form. Here are the numerous steps you’ll need to take:
- Visit the Amtrak website
- Open the Lost Item Report link
- Select the type of item you lost from the drop-down menu
- Enter the train number
- Type in the date you lost the item
- Select the station you last saw the item on
- Write down all the details about the lost item in the provided field
- Enter your contact information, including your:
- Full name
- Email address
- Phone number
- Street address
- Click the Submit button
Once you complete the online form, you'll get an email with your Lost Item ID tracking number. Amtrak will update the search status, and if they don’t find the item in the next 30 days, you should consider it lost.
This option is only available if you realize you’ve lost an item while still near the station. You should:
- Approach the representative
- Explain what the issue is
- Provide them with the requested info, such as the item description and train number
In case Amtrak informs you that the item you lost is located, you can claim it in two ways. Your choices include:
- Getting the item shipped to you, in which case you cover the shipping costs
- Picking up the item at the station where it was found
If the item you lost is not allowed to be carried on trains, Amtrak will not return it, even if they find it. The following table offers specific details:
|Sharp Objects||Martial-Arts and Self-Defense Items||Household and Automotive Items||Dangerous Chemicals or Materials|
If you would rather not have to wait for hours in phone lines and talk to numerous representatives, you should turn to DoNotPay for help in finding the lost item. We can handle the entire tedious process on your behalf by checking all the places you’ve visited recently. You only need to:
- Choose the Find My Lost Items product
- Describe the item you lost in detail and upload a photo is possible
- Enter the approximate time and date when you lost the item
If your belongings are located, DoNotPay will inform you how to claim them. The two available options usually include delivery or in-person pick up.
If you , you’ll significantly increase your chances of finding whatever you might have lost. Check out the table below for more information on what we can help you with:
|Locations We Can Help You Search At||Items We Can Help You Find|
You don’t have to deal with bureaucratic tasks on your own! DoNotPay is here to help you cancel your memberships, appeal parking tickets, discover unclaimed funds, and get any document notarized online.
We can also assist you in drawing up and sending out the following documents:
- Letter of intent to homeschool
- Financial aid appeal letter
- Anonymous HR complaint
- Demand letter to unban your account
- Neighbor complaint
Staying anonymous is almost impossible these days, but with DoNotPay’s help, your contact and payment details will remain private.
Thanks to our Burner Phone product, you’ll be able to keep your phone number to yourself and get a temporary one you can use when you register on various platforms.
If you want to avoid getting charged and revealing your personal info when signing up for free trials, we can help you kill two birds with one stone. Get our multifunctional virtual credit card and skip submitting your name, email address, and payment details.