Under the Weather? Here’s What You Need To Know About New York Sick Leave Law
Most New Yorkers are entitled to sick leave (paid or otherwise) but may not know how many days they can use. Given how different one state’s legislation can be from another state’s, there’s no standardized approach to earning and using sick leave.
The bottom line is that you shouldn’t feel compelled to work while sick. Being sick at work is bad for you and your coworkers, which is why you need to request time off when you’re ill—DoNotPay can help by breaking down the New York sick leave law and sending your leave request.
These New York state sick leave laws allowed residents to begin accruing time in 2020. Employees were able to start using their time off as of January 1, 2021.
Whether you are eligible or not depends on the nature of the business you work for:
|Number of Employees||Net Income||Sick Leave Allowance||Paid (Yes/No)|
|Four or fewer||Less than $1,000,000||40 hours||No|
|Four or more||More than $1,000,000||40 hours||Yes|
|100 or more||/||56 hours||Yes|
As the name suggests, ESSTA covers two primary purpose categories:
- Sick leave
- Safe leave
You may claim accrued sick days for:
- The care of a mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition
- The diagnosis or treatment of a mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition
You may also use sick leave to take care of a family member or relative that meets one of the above conditions.
You may use earned safe leave time to:
- Engage services offered by a domestic violence shelter or rape crisis center
- Take part in a safety planning process
- Plan the relocation of yourself or your family in addressing a safety concern
- Work with a lawyer or social services professional
- Engage support from a law enforcement agency
- Enroll your children at a new education institution
- Take any action in support of your or your family’s safety
First, check if your company has an official policy for taking sick leave. Some organizations use an online portal or a specific phone number to manage the process.
Otherwise, use one of the following contact methods to call in sick:
While your employer cannot legally terminate your employment because you’re sick, they may not be happy about your absence. That pressure can make the prospect of asking for time off stressful—allow DoNotPay to make it easier for you.
Our Request Sick Leave product streamlines the process of informing your employer about your need for time off. Here is how it works:
- Log in to your DoNotPay account
- Choose the Request Sick Leave product
- Fill in a few details about your job and your employer
- Specify which days you will be absent
That’s it! You can download a copy of the request or have DoNotPay submit it to your boss on your behalf.
By signing up with DoNotPay, you can say goodbye to tiring bureaucracy and:
- File various types of complaints from home
- Apply for clinical trials without any paperwork
- Arrange DMV appointments in a few simple steps
- Submit item return and late delivery refund requests from any location
- Reach out to consulates and embassies more easily
- Contact government representatives in no time
- Pick up unclaimed money under your name in any U.S. state
- Claim warranties in a couple of taps
- File insurance claims effortlessly from your preferred device
If you need some important paperwork, DoNotPay can generate it for you in record time! Our tools can assist you in drafting the following categories of documents:
|Legal Documents||Appeals and Letters|