Chicago Paid Sick Leave Ordinance—All You Need To Know
To successfully request and go on paid sick leave, you must know how many days you can take per year. Besides companies’ sick day rules, Chicago laws protect the citizens’ rights to paid sick leave and stipulate the minimum amount that every employer must provide. This guide explains what the Chicago paid sick leave ordinance entails, how sick leave accrual works, and the easiest way to call in sick!
What Is the Chicago Paid Sick Leave Ordinance?
The Chicago paid sick leave ordinance regulates the accrual and use of paid sick leave for Chicagoans.
Check out the answers to some of the common questions regarding the Chicago paid sick leave ordinance:
|Who does the Chicago paid sick leave ordinance apply to?||
|How much paid sick leave can employees get?||The ordinance mandates a minimum of five days (or 40 hours) of paid sick leave per year|
|How do employees accrue paid sick leave?||Employees earn one hour of paid sick leave per every 40 work hours. Accrual starts on day one, but employees are permitted to use sick leave only after working at least 80 hours in a 120 days|
|How much sick leave can employees use per year?||
|When can employees use paid sick leave?||Employees can use sick leave when:
How To Make Use of the City of Chicago Paid Sick Leave Ordinance
You can call upon the Chicago paid sick leave ordinance and get time off when you need to. If your employer doesn’t have a communication channel dedicated to personal matters and sick leave requests, you can call in sick via:
Are you insecure about calling or drafting a message for your employer, but you don’t want to work while sick? With , you only need to provide the essential information about your sick leave, and our app does the rest!
Request Sick Leave in Chicago in a Flash With DoNotPay!
Sending a sick leave request was never quicker and easier! Informing your boss about your leave takes minutes if you:
- Sign up for DoNotPay
- Navigate to the Request Sick Leave product
- Answer a few short questions
- Select whether you want the app to send the request to your employer or you (to bring it to work yourself)
Don’t know if you’re entitled to sick leave? Our app researches the law for you! After you answer the first few questions, our app will have enough information to inform you about your sick leave rights.
Get the Gist of Sick Leave Laws
Did you know that many acts work in your favor besides the Chicago paid sick leave ordinance? Explore our knowledge base to find out:
- How the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act (EPSLA), and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) protect you from losing your job while sick
- Whether you can sue your employer for getting fired for being sick
- What the paid sick leave laws by state are
- Whether an employer can force you to work sick
DoNotPay Handles Lengthy and Challenging Tasks on Your Behalf
No time to dedicate yourself to drawn-out procedures or solve administrative issues yourself? Keep calm—that’s why DoNotPay is here! By creating an account on our platform, you will be able to:
- Start free trials without being charged once they end
- Reach customer service without waiting in endless phone queues
- Convert various files into different formats
- File complaints with zero paperwork
- Demand public records via a FOIA request
- Request jury duty leave the easy way
- Inform local school authorities about homeschooling your child by sending a notice of intent
- Take and edit passport pictures from home with zero complications
Keep the Cash in Your Pockets With Our App
DoNotPay doesn’t bring you money-saving hacks—it actually assists you in cutting out expenses and living more economically. The tools we provide are made to help you pay less for utilities, end unwanted paid memberships, have college fees waived, or get lower tax bills. You can also save more on education-related costs by applying for scholarships and other financial aid via our app!
If you have a few forgotten gift cards lying around, don’t let them go to waste. DoNotPay can cash them out and send the remaining funds to your home address!