Scholarships for Graduate Students in Counseling—A Complete Guide
A degree in counseling opens doors to many employment opportunities, for example:
- Mental health facility
- Correctional facility
- Private practice psychology office
Pursuing a career in this noble field can be difficult due to the significant expenses of getting a graduate degree. Luckily, students in graduate schools have numerous scholarship opportunities at their disposal to help them reduce some of the costs.
Learn all you need to know about scholarships for graduate students in counseling in this guide!
Check the table below to learn about the resources that can help you find scholarships for graduate students in counseling:
|Federal, state, and private non-profit organizations||Organizations and associations that are—along with schools—typical benefactors of scholarships offer up-to-date information about their scholarship programs. You might have to become a member to access information and apply for awards|
|Schools||Psychology schools with counseling programs typically have at least one award dedicated to that field. Contact your school’s financial aid department to ask about the available opportunities|
|Online search tools||Students who use online search engines to look for scholarships for graduate students in counseling will notice that those scholarships often overlap with awards for other psychology subdisciplines. Scholarship frauds are also not uncommon on some scholarship search websites|
Are you having trouble finding suitable scholarships with these resources? Try DoNotPay! Tell us about your field and level of study, and receive an extensive list of scholarships and grants catering to your educational and financial needs in a matter of moments!
Depending on your qualifications and specialization, you can opt for the following types of scholarships for graduate students in counseling:
- School counseling scholarships
- Scholarships for female graduate students in counseling
- Scholarships for mental health counseling programs
- Holistic psychology school scholarships
- General scholarships and fellowships for psychology graduates
Graduate students specializing in school counseling can apply for the following scholarships:
- The University of Texas at Austin—Bess Heflin Fellowship—Provides $30,000, health insurance, and a stipend equal to the cost of in-state tuition
- Winston Churchill Foundation of the United States—Churchill Scholarship—Offers around $60,000 to students pursuing a graduate degree in one of the select 100+ colleges and universities
Women belonging to minority groups can apply for the Female Graduate Students in Counseling Scholarships and receive up to $2,500. Another option for female graduate students is to apply for more general psychology scholarships that reward students of various subdisciplines.
Some of the most popular scholarships for graduate students attending mental health counseling programs include:
- NBCFF Minority Fellowship Program
- Services for Transition Age Youth Fellowship
- Violet and Cyril Franks Scholarship
- Melanie Merola O’Donnell Memorial Scholarship
- David H. and Beverly A. Barlow Grant
- Services for Transition Age Youth Fellowship
The most famous holistic psychology school scholarship is the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology Scholarship. The scholarship provides $1,000 per quarter for a maximum of three quarters to students pursuing a career or conducting research on transpersonal psychology—a holistic approach to traditional psychotherapy.
Check out the table below to learn about scholarships for students focused on various subdisciplines of psychology:
|Master’s Degree Scholarship in Psychology and Counseling||Students must be pursuing a master’s in:
|Pride Foundation Scholarship||Applicants must be part of the LGBTQ+ community||$10,000|
|Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund||Students must be active participants in social movements in the U.S.||Up to $15,000|
Depending on the requirements of the particular scholarship you’re competing for, you might have to take the following steps to apply for scholarships for graduate students in counseling:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a state equivalent
- Submit the College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile
- Write an essay, cover letter, or personal statement
- Ask your mentors for letters of recommendation
- Submit college transcripts
- Write a resume
It takes moments to get a list of all local awards for your field and level of study if you follow these steps:
- Log in to your DoNotPay account
- Select the Apply for Scholarships product
- Answer a few questions about the degree you’re pursuing and any special qualifications you have—such as being a veteran or an international student
Our app also offers to apply for no-essay scholarships on your behalf automatically—that will leave you enough time to focus on your thesis and research projects.
Once you complete the task at hand, you don’t have to stop there—we offer a myriad of products that can relieve you of the stress that comes with dealing with admin and legal hurdles.
DoNotPay can assist you in drawing up a divorce settlement agreement, child travel consent form, power of attorney, and other legal documents, contacting government representatives, getting tourist visas, fighting workplace discrimination, getting a burner number, appealing banned accounts, getting access to public records, scheduling a DMV appointment, and much more.
With DoNotPay by your side, you don’t have to worry about how you’ll cover your utility bills at the end of the month—we’ll provide swift assistance as soon as you sign up!
Wondering what else our app is capable of? Check out how we can:
- Help you jump the phone queue when getting in touch with customer service
- Sign you up for any clinical trial you’re a good candidate for
- Get you a refund for any late, damaged, or missing delivery
- Generate a rock-solid financial aid appeal letter
- Draw up an anonymous HR complaint
- Look up sex offenders in your vicinity
- Help you reduce your property taxes
- Contact any embassy or consulate
- Get any document notarized