Fuel Your Wallet With These Zipcar Refund Hacks
Zipcar is a subscription-based car-sharing service. Instead of paying for a rental or splurging on Uber every time you need a ride, you pay a monthly or annual fee and use a Zipcar whenever you want.
Once you subscribe, using the service is simple:
- Book the car
- Unlock the car at the designated location
- Drive wherever you need
- Return the car to the designated location
As with any service, you may want the info about the company refund policy and your rights for a refund in case you incur some out-of-pocket expenses during your ride, or if you want to cancel your reservation.
DoNotPay will show you the best way to request a refund from Zipcar and guide you through what to do in case the company offers no refunds for your specific case. We will also show you what happens if you cancel your Zipcar membership.
The Nuts and Bolts of Zipcar Refund Policy
Zipcar has an extensive refund policy, covering every aspect of your membership agreement. There are situations in which refunds are allowed, but the details depend on the timeframe and specifics of your issue.
Can I Get a Zipcar Gas Refund?
Every Zipcar vehicle has a gas card that you can use to pay for the fuel, so there shouldn't be any gas expenses on your trips.
In case there is a problem with the gas card, and you have to pay for it, the company will reimburse the costs.
This falls under the out-of-pocket expenses category and counts as a valid cost, making it eligible for a refund.
Other expenses that are eligible for reimbursement are:
- Transportation costs to another Zipcar in case the company assigns you a vehicle that isn't within a walking distance
- Certain maintenance costs
- Car wash expenses
Is There a Zipcar Canceled Reservation Refund?
In case you want to cancel your reservation, you can get a full refund if you stick by certain rules.
To be eligible for a full refund, you need to cancel your reservation:
- Within 30 minutes after creating a booking
- At least three hours in advance for reservations shorter than eight hours
- Up to a day in advance for any booking longer than eight hours
Zipcar is pretty flexible, so you may be able to go around these timeframes if you contact them and explain your situation.
Can I Get a Zipcar Refund for Returning the Vehicle Early?
While you can return the car before your reservation expires, there are no refunds for the unused time.
Can I Get a Zipcar Membership Fee Refund?
As long as you cancel your membership within 30 days of the sign-up, you can get a full refund for any paid fees.
After that, the company doesn't give prorated refunds for unused subscription time.
If you shut down your account but have a remaining balance, it will be credited to the payment method linked to your Zipcar account.
Will Zipcar Refund an Annual Fee if I Cancel My Account?
No, there are no prorated refunds, not even for an annual membership.
If you pay for a whole year and decide to cancel during the subscription term, the company keeps all the money.
Different Methods To Get a Zipcar Refund
Zipcar will issue refunds automatically when you cancel your reservation or deactivate your account within the predetermined window. You can do both from your account.
As for other cases, there are additional methods to get your money back from the company.
Can You Request a Refund Via
Yes / No
Request a Zipcar Refund via the Online Form
This method works for out-of-pocket expenses.
To ask for a refund, follow these steps:
- Go to the Zipcar website
- Click on the Help link in the header
- Scroll down until you reach the Zipcar Policies section
- Click on the See all articles button
- Choose the Out-of-Pocket Expenses (Refunds) option
- Click on the Submit a Refund Request button
- Select Refund Request
- Follow the prompts to complete the process
Take note that you have to submit your out-of-pocket expense refund request within 30 days of making a reservation. You need to include photos of the receipt with visible date, time, and price of the purchase.
Request a Zipcar Refund Over the Phone
If you encounter any refund-related issue when closing your account or are late with canceling your reservation, you can contact the Zipcar customer support team at 1-866-4ZIPCAR.
Make sure to prepare your account info, as well as the reasons for your refund request before calling.
DoNotPay Is the Most Efficient Method To Get a Zipcar Refund
Did you know that according to the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA), you have a right to do a chargeback on your credit card transactions? This rule works as long as the charges were made within the last 60 days, and the amount is over $50.
While you can try to reach out to Zipcar for a refund, a chargeback can be done by communicating with your bank directly. The main difference between a chargeback and refund is that a chargeback bypasses the merchant.
The process may sound complex, but DoNotPay's File a Chargeback feature makes it super simple:
- Open DoNotPay in your
- Tap File a Chargeback
- Give the transaction details to our chatbot
- Type in Zipcar as the name of the merchant
We take over from there. Our app will fax a dispute letter to your bank and send you all Visa and Mastercard codes that can build up your case.
DoNotPay will also get in touch with Zipcar and request a refund from them on your behalf.
If you were wondering what you can do if a company won't give you a refund, take a look at how DoNotPay handles refunds from:
How Long Will I Have To Wait for a Zipcar Refund?
If your refund is approved automatically, it takes Zipcar three to five business days to process it and send the money to your payment method.
If you had to request a refund via the online form or over the phone, it might take a bit longer.
The waiting period also depends on how long your bank will take to process the transaction.
Find Out How To Use DoNotPay To Manage Your Daily Administrative Tasks
DoNotPay is a powerful virtual assistant that can help you manage administrative tasks.
DoNotPay can help you do that and a lot more!
Access DoNotPay from your and browse through other amazing features our app offers.
Some of the responsibilities DoNotPay can help you with are:
- Booking an appointment with the DMV
- Managing credit card problems
- Deactivating different subscriptions or memberships
- Suing people and companies in small claims court
- Signing up for free trials without a credit card
- Blocking spam texts for good
- Keeping spam mail out of your inbox
- Disputing traffic tickets
- Getting refunds and compensation from airlines
- Disputing parking tickets
- Protecting your work against copyright infringement
- Dealing with bills that are difficult to pay
- Keeping yourself safe from stalking and harassment
- Securing refunds from other companies
- Avoiding the phone queue when calling customer service
- Fighting speeding tickets
- Getting even with robocall scammers
- Locating suitable clinical trials