How to Get an eBay Refund in No Time
eBay Inc. is a U.S. multinational e-commerce corporation that deals in consumer-to-consumer and business-to-consumer sales through its website. Over the years, this massively popular platform has attracted over 174 million buyers in their marketplace.
Just in the first quarter of 2020, over 1.5 billion listings have been registered on eBay. While most of these transactions go smoothly, every once in a while you may come across a fraudulent seller, you might never receive your item, or it may arrive in a damaged or faulty condition. What to do when you’re on the other end of an eBay transaction gone awry?
Speed Up the eBay Refund Process With DoNotPay
You will want to get your money back in the quickest, most straightforward way possible. You don’t have to chase your bank or the vendor to get your refund from eBay—simply delegate this task to DoNotPay.
Here is how to do it:
- Open the DoNotPay app in your web browser or on your iOS device
- Select Get Protected under the Chargeback Instantly option
- Follow the chatbot’s instructions—you will be asked to provide details about your bank and the company you need to get the refund from
- Verify your signature and submit the request
Once DoNotPay receives the request, we will automatically fax it to your bank, together with all the VISA and Mastercard codes and regulations that will help you win the case. The app can also contact the merchant on your behalf if you choose so.
How to Request a Refund on eBay on Your Own
An alternative to using DoNotPay’s Chargeback Instantly option is through eBay’s website directly. Here is the how-to:
- Go to your My eBay Purchase history
- In the drop-down menu, find the item you want the refund for
- Select Return or Item not received (within 30 days of delivery)
- Confirm that this is the item in question
- Click on Resolve a Problem
- Answer the questions to get a link to request the refund
Once you make your case, you will first have an opportunity to negotiate with the seller. If you’re not able to reach an agreement with the seller, eBay will step in. If eBay decides that you’re right, you’ll receive a refund.
Can you request a refund via
|Yes / No|
What Is eBay’s Refund Policy?
eBay has a Money Back Guarantee policy that ensures you will get the item you ordered or get your money back. This refund will be credited back to the original form of payment.
The eBay Money Back Guarantee protects you if you haven’t received the item, or if it didn’t turn out quite as described. Note that this is not a product warranty.
The eBay Money Back Guarantee applies to virtually every item purchased on eBay, with a few exceptions:
- Motors vehicles (these are covered under the eBay Vehicle Protection Program)
- Real estate
- Websites and businesses for sale
- Classified ads and services
- Some business equipment categories (the eBay Business Equipment Purchase Protection may cover these)
What Is the Average eBay Money Refund Time?
Firstly, you will need to send the damaged or otherwise faulty item back to the seller, or come to an agreement that you can keep it. When the seller receives the purchased goods back from you, or once they’ve agreed to give you a refund and let you keep the item, they will have two business days to issue your refund. You will receive a notification email from eBay once this happens.
The refund processing time will depend on your payment method:
- A PayPal refund may take from three to five business days to go through
- A credit card refund could take up to 30 days to process, depending on the card provider
How to Check the Status of Your eBay Refund Request
You can check your eBay return status following this link.
How to Deal With Common Issues With eBay Refunds
If you’ve stumbled upon any complications related to your eBay refund, you can resort to two solutions:
- Ask eBay to step in
- Appeal eBay’s decision regarding the case
Ask eBay to Step In
If you and the buyer haven’t been able to come to an agreement after three business days, eBay will have to mediate between the two parties. If you’re a seller and eBay rules the case in the buyer’s favor, bear in mind that you could receive a defect which may affect your seller standards.
Appeal eBay’s Decision on a Case
If you disagree with eBay’s decision after their customer service was asked to intervene, you can appeal it up to 30 days after the claim has been closed. In order to request an appeal, you must provide additional details (including photographs showing there is no fault with the sold goods.) eBay aims to resolve the issue within 48 hours of receiving the appeal.
How to Refund on eBay as a Seller
eBay states that you can choose whether to accept returns if a buyer changes their mind about a purchase. Regardless, a buyer is allowed to return the goods (even if you don’t offer returns) if the sold products arrive:
- Not matching the listing description
- As the wrong item(s)
This is how to process a refund as an eBay seller to your buyer:
- When you create a listing, you’ll need to have return policy set up
- Once the buyer submits their return request, you have three business days to respond. Otherwise, eBay may have to mediate between you and the buyer
- Go to the Resolution Center or open up your Returns dashboard
- Go to View return details next to the item in question
- Select Accept the return and then Continue
- If you’re responsible for return shipping, sort out how the item will be sent back to you
- If the buyer is responsible for return shipping, choose your return address from the drop-down menu
- Enter a return merchandise authorization number, if applicable
- Choose Confirm
How to Issue a Full Refund to the Buyer
- Go to your Returns dashboard
- Select View return details beside the item
- Go to Give a full refund and then Continue
- The refund amount will show up on the next page. Hit Refund the buyer
How to Issue a Partial Refund to the Buyer
- Go to your Returns dashboard
- Choose View return details beside the item in question
- Choose Offer a partial refund and then Continue
- Enter the partial refund amount you want to offer the buyer
- Add a message to the buyer (optional)
- Click on Send offer
Please note that you can only offer a partial refund once, and the buyer can choose whether or not to accept it.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
If you are looking to get a virtual assistant to sort out your life, DoNotPay’s “resume” should be on the top of your best candidates’ list. After all, wouldn’t your life be drastically better if someone took care of all of the chores and issues for you?
Check out our app’s mighty impressive list of features that can help you with:
- Requesting refunds from other companies
- Scheduling a DMV appointment quickly and easily
- Dealing with credit card problems
- Appealing traffic tickets
- Skipping the phone queue when calling customer service
- Challenging speeding tickets
- Canceling subscriptions or memberships
- Protecting yourself from stalking and harassment
- Obtaining refunds for delayed or canceled flights
- Taking revenge on illegal robocalls
- Suing people and companies in small claims court
- Fighting parking tickets
- Managing bills you are unable to pay