Lost Luggage Statistics—The Analysis
Every passenger’s worst nightmare is to discover their airline mishandled their luggage. Have you ever wondered why and how often airlines lose luggage? Is there anything you can do to prevent your belongings from being lost? DoNotPay dives into lost luggage statistics and answers all your burning questions! You will also learn about the quickest way to and report lost items!
In recent years, airlines have lost an average of 4–6 bags for every 1000 passengers. Check the table below for more detailed information:
|Total Number of Checked Bags
|Number of Mishandled Bags
|Percentage of Lost Bags
As you can see in the table, even though the number of passengers dropped drastically in 2020 because of COVID-19, the percentage of lost bags hasn’t changed significantly.
According to SITA, airlines lose baggage is because of:
- Layover flights—46% of mishandled bags belong to passengers who board connecting flights. If you land and your next plane takes off in less than 90 minutes, there’s a high chance that you will board the plane without your baggage. Mishaps occur because airport staff don’t have enough time to unload the baggage from one plane and load it into another
- Loading errors—Human error is inevitable, especially at an airport during rush hour. 19% of lost bags are mishandled due to mistakes staff makes while loading a plane
- Ticketing errors—16% of lost bags get the wrong tag during the check-in
The table below contains answers to some questions regarding baggage loss:
|How can I prevent my baggage from being mishandled?
|Some of the ways you can ensure your luggage doesn’t get lost or stolen are to:
|What are some ways to minimize the damage done if my bag gets lost?
|The loss of your bag won’t impact you as much if you:
Items lost on a plane or at the airport are usually kept at the lost and found office of the airport or carrier you flew with for up to 30 days, depending on each company’s policy. You should report the loss of your items as soon as you notice—to maximize your chances of getting them back. In most cases, you can report lost items:
- By phone
- Via email
- In person
Reporting lost items is a stressful process because it requires a lot of effort and patience on your part. Due to the number of people who fly every day:
- Airline hotlines are busy
- Customer support takes too long to respond to the flood of emails they receive every day
- Lost and found offices are crowded
There is a way to tackle the issue without wasting time or wrecking your nerves—with DoNotPay!
Don’t become the negative part of lost luggage statistics. Our app can help you report and find items you lost during air travel—from wallets and phones to bags and suitcases—using your input and a few minutes of your time. We will handle the hard part of the process in your stead after you:
- Search for the Find Lost Airport Items feature
- Provide information about the incident:
- What did you lose?
- When did the event happen?
- Where did the loss occur?
No time to dedicate yourself to drawn-out procedures or solve administrative issues yourself? Keep calm—that’s why DoNotPay is here! By creating an account on our platform, you will be able to:
- Start free trials without being charged once they end
- Reach customer service without waiting in endless phone queues
- Convert various files into different formats
- File complaints with zero paperwork
- Demand public records via a FOIA request
- Request jury duty leave the easy way
- Inform local school authorities about homeschooling your child by sending a notice of intent
- Take and edit passport pictures from home with zero complications
DoNotPay doesn’t bring you money-saving hacks—it actually assists you in cutting out expenses and living more economically. The tools we provide are made to help you pay less for utilities, end unwanted paid memberships, have college fees waived, or get lower tax bills. You can also save more on education-related costs by applying for scholarships and other financial aid via our app!
If you have a few forgotten gift cards lying around, don’t let them go to waste. DoNotPay can cash them out and send the remaining funds to your home address!