Breaking Down the NC Opportunity Scholarship
Like in other states in America, many families in North Carolina find it difficult to afford education for their children. As a result, they often rely on scholarships and grants to help them overcome their financial hurdles. The North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority (NCSEAA) recognizes this issue and provides a solution—the North Carolina Opportunity Scholarship.
This comprehensive guide provides essential details about the NC Opportunity Scholarship so families who need it can check their eligibility and apply in no time!
The North Carolina (NC) Opportunity Scholarship is a no-essay, income-based award designed to help financially challenged families and students. Applicants who meet the scholarship requirements can receive up to $4,200 per student annually to pay for an education in a private school. The NCSEAA distributes these scholarships by lottery.
You must meet two types of requirements to be eligible for the North Carolina Opportunity Scholarship:
- Mandatory requirements
- Special requirements (only one has to be fulfilled)
Your eligibility, as well as the North Carolina Opportunity Scholarship award amount, depends on:
- The number of people in your household
- The maximum allowed gross household income
Check out the table below to find details:
|Number of People in the Household||The Maximum Household Gross Income Allowed To Qualify for 100% of the NC Opportunity Scholarship||The Maximum Household Gross Income Allowed To Qualify for 90% of the NC Opportunity Scholarship (Or $4,200, Whichever Is Less)|
To be eligible for the NC Opportunity Scholarship, you must also:
- Be at least five years old by August 31 of the application year
- Not have graduated from high school
- Be a North Carolina resident
- Not have enrolled full-time in a post-secondary institution
Graduated high school seniors, college students, and students in graduate schools do not qualify for the North Carolina Opportunity Scholarship. If you fall under these student categories, don’t fret—DoNotPay can help! and answer a few short questions to discover scholarships tailored to your qualifications!
Fulfilling only the mandatory requirements is not enough to be eligible for the North Carolina Opportunity Scholarship. To qualify for the award, at least one of the following statements must apply—you:
- Have received and used Opportunity Scholarship funds in the previous year
- Are in foster care or have been adopted within the last year
- Have a child who is entering kindergarten or first grade (if you’re applying on behalf of your child)
- Attended a public school or Department of Defense school in North Carolina as a full-time student during the spring semester (before applying for and using the NC Opportunity Scholarship)
- Have a parent on full-time active military duty
If you’re a parent applying your child for the North Carolina Opportunity Scholarship, you need to set up a MyPortal account and follow these steps:
- Create an account or log in if you have one already
- Click on Applications and Renewals
- Enter your personal information, such as:
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Click on the Apply button next to the Opportunity Scholarship Program Application field in the table that shows up
- Review and update the eligibility requirements
- Click Apply for Opportunity Scholarship at the bottom of the page
- Select the private school you want to attend or Unknown if you don’t know which school you’re going to apply to
- Check the boxes on the Consent and Certification Statements page and click Submit
You don’t need any scholarship essays or letters of recommendation to apply for the North Carolina Opportunity Scholarship.
You can use MyPortal to check the status of your application once you submit it. To do so, complete the following steps:
- Navigate back to the dashboard
- Click on Eligibility and Award Information
- Select your application in the dropdown menu
Take a look at the following table to learn about the different application deadlines of the North Carolina Opportunity Scholarship:
|February 1–March 1||Priority consideration|
|August 31||Consideration for a full award offer|
|December 31||Consideration for a spring term award only|
Have you applied for the North Carolina Opportunity Scholarship only to get rejected or receive a disappointing offer? DoNotPay will find more scholarships you can apply for and use to overcome your financial hardships! Our app can also help you discover awards for special student categories, such as veterans, transfer students, international students, female students in male-dominated fields of study, and more!
The process is simple and takes only four steps to complete:
- Find the Apply for Scholarships feature
- Complete the survey
- Select if you want to view the list of scholarships or apply
When you complete all steps, your personalized list of scholarships will be available in a matter of moments! You can browse through the options and check out and compare their prizes and requirements. We will also apply for numerous no-essay scholarships on your behalf—you only need to check the ones you are interested in!
If you’re on a tight schedule and you can’t afford to spend hours running errands, DoNotPay steps in with a perfect solution! You can skip going to the post office to request an item return or visiting a notary public to get your documents notarized—Our app will help you get it all done without going anywhere!
Visiting your local Walmart to have your passport photo taken is unnecessary since DoNotPay can help you get it at home!
Consult the list below to see what other tasks you can complete using our app:
- Send letters to your incarcerated loved ones
- Request gift card cash back
- Contest parking tickets
- Sign up for various clinical trials
- File insurance and warranty claims
- Lower your property taxes
- Request refunds from airline companies
- Simplify mailing services
Companies tend to keep charging their clients monthly subscription fees automatically if they don’t end their subscriptions. Stop wasting money on forgotten memberships—DoNotPay will show you how to terminate your subscription in a few clicks!