Ways To Get the UMass Amherst Application Fee Waiver
It’s no news that pursuing a college education in the United States requires some serious cash. Aspiring students have to cover the cost of tutoring, various tests, and application fees before paying for notoriously high tuition and living expenses.
One of the fees that future students will encounter is the college application fee. Some universities don’t charge this fee, but UMass Amherst does. The fee covers the administrative costs of processing numerous applications. An average application fee stands around $50, and that’s what most applicants should expect to pay.
Most of the top schools charge significantly more than that. The application fee at the University of California, San Diego, holds the country-wide record at $105. Considering that an average student applies for seven to 10 schools, paying for application fees can be a burden, especially if your finances are tight.
The UMass Amherst Application Fee
The University of Massachusetts, Amherst, is the third biggest university in the state, after Harvard and Boston University, with a tradition longer than 150 years. Its nine schools and colleges received over 40,000 first-year applications in 2020.
The application fee at UMass Amherst stands at $80, significantly higher than the national average. The University is willing to waive this fee for eligible applicants so that it does not represent a financial barrier. Applicants can request a waiver in one of the following ways:
- Common App
- Coalition App
- UMass Amherst’s Quick Pass form
To make the process simple yet effective, you can use the powers of DoNotPay, the world’s first robot lawyer.
Is There a Way To Avoid Paying College Application Fees?
Most colleges are willing to waive application fees for eligible students. Each school prescribes its requirements for a waiver, usually for financial reasons. Regardless of whether you fulfill the requirements or not, an application does not guarantee that a waiver will be issued. It is entirely at the discretion of the university.
Certain factors increase the likelihood of getting an application fee waiver:
- Signed letter from a high school counselor
- Demonstrated financial hardship
- SAT or ACT waivers
- Veteran status or active duty in the United States Armed Forces
It’s always a good idea to check the specific application rules of each college.
What Are UMass Amherst’s Criteria for an Application Fee Waiver?
As with most other universities, the basic requirement for application fee waiver eligibility is U.S. citizenship or permanent residency. International students cannot count on receiving a waiver for this fee. If you received the Common App or Coalition App fee waiver, UMass Amherst will accept that as sufficient to waive your application fee.
Depending on your chosen method of applying, different information about your circumstances may be used to determine your eligibility. The table below shows what circumstances are relevant for each method.
|Requirement||Quick Pass||Coalition App||Common App|
|Eligibility for Pell Grant||Yes||Yes||No|
|Veteran status or active duty||Yes||Yes||No|
|ACT/SAT testing fee waivers||No||Yes||Yes|
|Living in subsidized public housing or a foster home||Yes||No||Yes|
|Affected by a recent natural disaster||Yes||No||No|
|Signed approval from a high school counselor||Yes||No||Yes|
|Ward of the state or an orphan status||No||No||Yes|
|Family income is below $65,000||Yes||No||No|
|Household income is within federally set Income Eligibility Guidelines||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|A family receives public assistance||Yes||Yes||Yes|
According to the Income Eligibility Guidelines set by the USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service, your household’s total annual income must be equal to or below $23,107 if you live alone. For each additional member of your household, add $8,177.
How To Request the UMass Application Fee Waiver
If you believe that your circumstances qualify you for an application fee waiver, make sure that you prepare all the relevant information you might need. You can apply for the waiver via QuickPass, Common App, or Coalition App.
If you’ve decided to apply for a waiver via Quick Pass, do the following:
- Go to the Quick Pass web page
- Enter your personal information, and if you’re seeking to transfer, information about your current school
- Select the entry term from the drop-down list
- Fill out the questionnaire about your circumstances
- Click Submit
Using the Common App is popular among college applicants. Here’s what you need to do to request a fee waiver:
- Create an account on the Common App website
- Fill out the required information about your status or current circumstances
- Submit your application. Your high school counselor will be asked to complete a fee waiver form to support your request
The Coalition App works in a similar way:
- Go to the Coalition for College website and create your account
- In the Fee Waiver section of your profile page, check all boxes that apply to you
- The automatic search will show you all universities where you are eligible for a waiver
- Submit your application to the university of your choice
Not sure which method to use? Go for DoNotPay, a user-friendly and AI-powered tool that simplifies the whole process.
Requesting the UMass Amherst Application Fee Waiver via DoNotPay
DoNotPay stands out as the simplest way to request an application fee waiver, especially if you’re applying to multiple universities. We cover all colleges in the U.S. and reduce the amount of tedious work.
This is how DoNotPay works:
- Sign up in your web browser
- Select the College Application Fee Waiver function
- Select the type of fee to request a waiver for. DoNotPay supports test fees (except for SATs and ACTs), new student applicant fees, enrollment deposit fees, and transfer student fees
- Search for the school of your choice (UMass Amherst in this case)
- Complete a simple questionnaire about your finances
- Request a letter from your high school counselor to strengthen your case
Leave it to DoNotPay to do the rest! We will send the waiver request form to the university’s admission office and even obtain your high school counselor’s signature. Keep in mind that the university might request additional relevant documentation from you later on.
That’s Not All! DoNotPay Can Do Much More
If you frequently ask yourself, “Is there an app for this?”, DoNotPay is the answer. Whether you are trying to avoid mundane everyday tasks, hack bureaucracy or block unwanted payments, DoNotPay has you covered.
Applying to more than one college? Say no more! We assist in requesting application fee waivers from Texas A&M University, the University of Texas at San Antonio, Texas Tech, Stanford Law, Harvard Law, Northeastern University, and many more! Sign up in your web browser and explore DoNotPay’s numerous features that can make your life easier:
- Sue people and companies in small claims court
- File insurance claims
- Schedule a DMV appointment quickly and with no stress
- Get compensation and refunds from airlines
- Contest traffic tickets
- Skip giving your number for phone verification
- Find money under your name you didn’t know about
- Get college application fee waivers
- Claim any warranty claims
- Reach customer service reps faster
- Appeal speeding tickets
- Deal with credit card problems
- Stop recurring subscriptions or memberships
- Postpone bills you are unable to pay
- Ace government tests
- Protect yourself from stalking and harassment
- Obtain refunds from companies
- Avoid charges after free trials
- Stop receiving spam emails for good
- Block text spam
- Find and apply for clinical trials
- Get revenge on robocallers
- Contest parking tickets
- Connect with your incarcerated friends and family
- Protect yourself against copyright infringement