How to Get Your Licensing Refund the Easy Way
You can request if you will not need your licence again or if your licence has expired in less than two years. If you are eligible for a blind concession or attained 75 years and above, you can apply for a refund irrespective of the duration left on your TV licence.
However, working for a precise refund amount can be a complicated exercise that will require a lot of documentation and evidence. The good news is that DoNotPay can help you straightforwardly get your refund through the File a Chargeback Product.
Everything You Need to Know About TV Licensing
A TV licence is compulsory if you:
- Want to record or watch a live TV on a channel
- Watch or download BBC programmes on iPlayer
Your licence must be valid; otherwise, you risk prosecution or a penalty of £1000 and other legal costs. A residential TV licence in the UK for black and white TV sets will cost you £159. Your TV licence covers:
- TV sets
- Mobile Phones
- Other devices that receive TV Signals
Take note that you won't require a TV licence to access the following:
- Non-BBC programmes on online catch-up services
- Videos or DVDs
- Videos clips on YouTube
- Closed-circuit television (CCTV)
For more information about licensing, visit the official TV licensing website. If you live in a shared accommodation, you must have a licence to be shared in the whole house. If your house is self-contained, you can . On the same note, if you have a separate tenancy agreement for your room, you need to have your licence.
TV Licensing Refund Policy
If you no longer need your licence, you are eligible to ask for a refund. Refund calculations are based on:
- The date of your licence issuance
- Licence expiry date
You will be required to give evidence to back your refund request. All the information you provide is used to determine whether you qualify for a refund and how much. As per the refund policy, your refund is calculated according to unused months. You must have at least one month left on your licence that you don't need to use before your licence expires.
Therefore, you will get a refund depending on how many unused months are left on your licence. You will not get a refund if you have less than one month left between the cancellation date and your licence expiry date. In case you did not pay your licence in full, the expiry date will be changed to show what you have not paid.
How Long Does It Take to Receive Your TV Licensing Refund?
After submitting your refund claim, it might take approximately 21 days. Your refund will be paid by a cheque or deposited directly into your bank account. Sometimes your refund might be delayed if you did not provide accurate information. In this case, you will be contacted to provide more information.
Upon your refund approval, your licence will be cancelled automatically. In the same way, if you haven't qualified for a refund, you can cancel it by yourself.
Learn How to Apply for a TV Licence Refund on Your Own
Below is a checklist to follow to get your TV licensing refund:
- You should log in to your TV licence account. Provide your address, postcode, full name and your TV licence.
- When you pay by the due date, you don't have to cancel it since TV licensing will cancel it for you as soon as you apply for your refund.
- You will be asked to provide evidence to support your claim. In this case, you will need to provide a printed refund form with your signature.
- After filling out your refund form, you should send it to The Refund Centre, TV licensing Darlington DL981TL
The type of evidence you need to provide includes:
- Tenancy agreement
- A council tax bill
- A proof that you were paying for more than one licence
|Can You Request a Refund Via||Yes/No|
Claiming your TV licence using DIY methods is a hectic procedure that will require you to provide evidence to support your claim. Additionally, your claim should pass a vetting process to ascertain whether you qualify for a refund.
You don't have to struggle much since DoNotPay, through its Chargeback product, can ensure you get what is rightfully yours in a less frustrating way.
Learn How to Apply for a TV Licence Refund Using DoNotPay
If by yourself seems frustrating, there’s always DoNotPay to handle the legwork for you. Allow us to assist by doing the following steps:
- Find the File a Chargeback product on DoNotPay.
- Tell us which credit card (or ACH transfer) the payment was on, and enter the name of your bank and the merchant.
- Select the reason for your chargeback, and provide relevant details, including the charge amount, the charge date, a description of the payment, and any files you can upload as evidence.
DoNotPay Works With All Companies All Over UK
DoNotpay is not limited to getting you a TV licensing refund. We can also provide legal assistance in requesting for refunds and chargebacks from:
What Other Problems Can DoNotPay Help You Solve
AI powered DoNotPay would be your best bet in getting council tax, Trainline delay, and plane ticket refunds. If you need to get a virtual credit card to avoid any unwanted charges in the future, we can also assist.
Sign up today and have DoNotPay at your disposal no matter what task you need accomplished.