Get a Post Office Road Tax Refund the Easy Way
Car tax, often known as road tax or vehicle excise duty (VED), is required for every car registered in the United Kingdom. Even vehicles not used on public roads must be taxed unless they have a SORN (Statutory Off-Road Notification).
If you have applied for a SORN or need a , you must contact the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). The DVLA will then provide a refund for any full months of remaining tax. However, the application process is time-consuming and frustrating. DoNotPay offers you the easiest way to apply for a road tax refund.
How to Get a Post Office Road Tax Refund on Your Own
You may be entitled to a , if your vehicle has been stolen, or you have had it taken off the road. You may also be eligible for a refund if you write off the car, register it as tax-exempt, export it out of the UK or sell it.
All you have to do is follow the process below:
- Cancel your vehicle tax by contacting the DVLA at 0300 790 6802.
- The DVLA will cancel your road tax after you have notified them.
- If you paid by direct debit, the payment will be stopped, and you will immediately get a refund.
- DVLA will send your refund in the form of a check for any full months remaining on your car tax.
The sum of the amount is determined from the day the DVLA gets your information, so keep them informed of any changes promptly.
Claim a Refund by Post and Email
Generally, you can claim your road tax refund at a Post Office by posting a letter to the following address; Vehicle Customer Services DVLA Swansea SA99 1AR.
Claim a Refund by Email or Website
You can also claim a refund via email and DVLA webchat service.
|Can You Request a Refund Via
How Do I Get a Tax Refund if I’ve Changed My Vehicle’s Tax Class?
Cars that have been modified or altered may qualify for a tax rebate. For instance, you will not be required to pay tax if you change your vehicle to make it accessible to the disabled.
Alterations such as reducing the engine or switching to a different fuel type also affect your vehicle’s tax classification, which might make you eligible for lower payments.
However, it would be best if you informed the DVLA of any modifications beforehand. If your tax rate reduces, you will begin paying at the reduced rate on the first day of the following month.
Refund for the First Tax Payment on the Vehicle
The amount you get will be dependent on the lesser of the first tax payment when you registered the vehicle and the rate for the second tax payment onwards.
When to Apply for a Post Office Road Tax Refund
You must notify the DVLA if your vehicle has been subjected to the following:
- Sold or transferred to another party
- Removed off the road, for example, stored in a garage, referred to as a SORN.
- Your insurance company has declared you insolvent.
- Wrecked in a salvage yard for automobiles
- Stolen – you will need to submit a refund request individually.
- Exported from the United Kingdom
- Registered as a tax-exempt car
There is no other method for cancelling your car tax. You will not get a refund for:
- Any credit card fees
- The 5% surcharge on some direct debit payments
- The 10% surcharge on a single 6-month payment
How Long Will It Take To Receive a Post Office Road Tax Refund?
|Forms of Application:
|SORN confirmation by phone
|Vehicle tax refund by phone or online
|All DVLA applications by post
|6 to 8 weeks
Potential Problems When Requesting Post Office Tax Refunds
Since your application will be through the post office, it might take you time to draft the request letter. In addition, there will be so many other requests at the post office, resulting in more delays in processing, hence increasing your waiting time. In addition, you can only make the application after meeting the DVLA’s conditions.
How to Get a Post Office Road Tax Refund With DoNotPay
Since visiting the post office to get your refunds can be tedious and time-consuming, you can use DoNotPay to get a . DoNotPay is always the most convenient method of requesting a refund.
All you have to do is follow this simple process:
- Find the File a Chargeback product on DoNotPay.
- Tell us which credit card (or ACH transfer) the payment was on, and enter the name of your bank and the merchant.
- Select the reason for your chargeback, and provide relevant details, including the charge amount, the charge date, a description of the payment, and any files you can upload as evidence.
DoNotPay Can Help You Get a Refund or Chargeback for Any Company
If you have other refunds that you need processed, there’s no need to go anywhere else. DoNotPay can assist you with:
- Council tax refunds
- Trainline refunds
- Just Eat refunds
- Wowcher refunds
- Virtual credit cards
- Plane ticket refunds
- Amigo loans refunds
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Post office road tax refunds are one of the many things that DoNotPay can help you with. We also assist with issues to do with:
to conveniently get your post office road tax refund or enjoy our other service that won’t hurt your budget.