Everything an NVCC Student Needs To Know About Requesting a NOVA Refund
Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC) or NOVA is the second-largest community college in the U.S. with over 75,000 students.
The institution enjoys patronage from the Commonwealth of Virginia, enabling it to offer affordable tuition and numerous financial aid systems.
It may be useful for an NVCC student to learn the ropes of the College tuition refund policy.
Can I Get a NOVA Tuition Refund?
NOVA has a policy regarding student debt that covers refunds for dropped classes. It states that you can get a refund as long as you drop a class before the census date.
The census date is a predetermined date that represents the last chance to establish your participation in a class—to attend at least one lecture, meeting, or a class-related event. It is also your last chance to drop that class and get a tuition refund.
Students are eligible to apply for exemption from this policy, which makes them eligible for refunds after the census date, but this only applies to special circumstances.
You also qualify for a refund after the census date if the College cancels the class.
Are There Any NVCC Refunds for Replaced Classes?
In case you drop a class before the census date, or if the College cancels it, you can replace it with another one.
There are two options available:
- Your new class is worth fewer credits than the original one—you will get a refund
- The new class caries more credits—you will have to pay the difference to NOVA
Special Circumstances in Which You Can Apply for an NVCC Drop-Class Refund
If you need to drop a class after the census date, you may still qualify for a refund.
The College will make an exception to their tuition debt after-the-census-date policy if the student is facing:
- Severe financial difficulties
- Death of an immediate family member
- Medical emergency—an illness affecting the student or a family member
- Military transfer, re-assignment, or mobilization
- A bureaucratic error with tuition processing made by the College
Take note that these are the only circumstances that qualify you for a refund past the census date.
How To Request a NOVA Refund
NOVA offers a few methods to request a refund, but you should choose based on the specifics behind your refund request.
Can You Request a Refund Via
|Yes / No|
Request a NOVA Tuition Refund Online
As long as you are in the pre-census date time frame, you can drop any class and receive a refund automatically. You can do this from your NOVAConnect Account.
Follow these steps to drop a class:
- Visit the NVCC website
- Click on the myNOVA button in the header
- Click on the myNOVA Login button
- Sign in to your account
- Access your Schedule
- Follow the guidelines to drop a class
Make sure to double-check that you have completed the process. Any mistakes on your end will cost you your refund.
Request a NOVA Tuition Refund From the Student Services Center
Another option is to visit the Student Services Center located on your campus and deactivate your registration for a certain class there. You can also call them to check the details.
To find the address and phone number of the Student Services Center, click on the Services & Support tab at the NVCC page and select Student Services from the drop-down menu.
Request a NOVA Refund via Email
This is one of the methods you can use to request an exemption to College debt policy and get a refund. You can also use this method if you encounter an issue with your NOVAConnect account.
Send your refund request from your college email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The response time should be somewhere between four and eight hours.
Take note of the following if you are requesting an exemption from the College policy:
- You will have to attach valid documentation as proof—a letter signed by the physician, a copy of the death certificate, or military activation orders. You need to send your email within 90 days of the date of the incident
- Your email must contain a detailed explanation of your situation if you are asking for a refund because of your financial situation or mistake made by the College
Request a NOVA Refund via Letter
You can send your refund request letter via mail to:
Northern Virginia Community College
4001 Wakefield Chapel Road
Annandale, VA 22003-3796
The same rules apply as with the email method.
Request a NOVA Refund Through the Online Chat
You can contact customer support through the live online chat function on the NOVA website. You will be connected to a customer service representative.
To access it, click on the LIVE CHAT button near the bottom of the page.
Request a NOVA Refund Over the Phone
Another option is to contact NOVA Call Center representatives at 703-323-3000 or 877-408-2028.
How Long Do You Have To Wait for Your NOVA Refund?
The waiting time depends on the payment method. It could be a few days if you expect to get a refund on your credit card. Since NOVA often issues a refund via check, you may have to wait up to two weeks to get your money back.
DoNotPay Is a Straightforward Way To Get Your NOVA Refund
A simpler method to obtain a refund from NVCC is to initiate a chargeback on your credit card transaction with the help of DoNotPay.
A chargeback is different than a refund because it lets you handle the issue with your bank instead of negotiating with NOVA.
The Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA) supports your right to dispute any charges on your credit card made within the last 60 days, and DoNotPay helps you execute this right.
Here is how to do it:
- Access DoNotPay from your web browser
- Tap Chargeback Instantly
- Type in the transaction details
- Enter Northern Virginia Community College as the name of the merchant
DoNotPay will get in touch with your bank, send them a dispute letter, and contact NVCC with a refund request.
We will also make sure that you get important Visa and Mastercard codes that can be useful in your case.
Check out how to get your money back from:
DoNotPay—Your Time & Money Manager
DoNotPay is a virtual assistant specialized in getting your refunds from companies that don’t want to give them, and efficient in canceling Doordash, HelloFresh, GeekSquad, or ResumeGenius, in only a few steps.
Learn about other DoNotPay features by accessing the service from your web browser.
We can help you with:
- Trying out services for free without a credit card
- Putting an end to spam texts
- Protecting your inbox from spam mail
- Disputing traffic tickets
- Procuring refunds and compensation from airlines
- Disputing parking tickets
- Managing bills that are too high to pay
- Dealing with stalking and harassment
- Acquiring refunds from other companies
- Bypassing the phone queue when calling customer service
- Fighting speeding tickets
- Getting revenge on robocall scammers
- Finding clinical trials
- Protecting your work against copyright infringement
- Reserving an appointment with the DMV
- Handling credit card problems
- Getting out of different subscriptions or memberships
- Suing individuals and businesses in small claims court