Georgia Sex Offender Law—Stay Ahead of Predators With Our Handy Alerts
The welfare of a society depends on the quality of its laws. The Georgia sex offender law intends to be strict but also leaves an opening to make lives easier for a handful of sex offenders.
The State’s sex offender laws have been modified multiple times in the past two decades. This has expanded Georgia’s Sex Offender Registry to over 23,000 entries but also allowed many convicted offenders to be removed from it.
As per crime statistics released by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI), a total of 2,938 rapes were reported in the State in 2018. With DoNotPay’s reliable Sex Offender Search feature, you don’t have to take chances with your safety. Sign in to our app to get notified of the registered sex offenders in your area in a matter of seconds!
Georgia laws prioritize recognizing sexual offenders guilty of dangerous sex crimes or crimes against minors. A person will be required to register in the State’s Sex Offender Registry if they are convicted of such crimes.
This table summarizes the common sexual offenses that require registration in Georgia:
|Offenses Against Minors||Dangerous Sex Crimes|
Punishments for sexual offenses depend on the severity of the crime. For example, a misdemeanor sex offender can get off the hook by paying a hefty fine, but a felony offender faces a long prison sentence and a lifetime registration on the Georgia Sex Offender Registry.
You can browse through this table to understand the legal consequences of major sex offenses in Georgia:
Megan’s Law makes it essential for all states—including Georgia—to open their sex offender registries to the public.
Georgia’s sex offender registration laws aim to regulate and monitor the convicted sex offenders beyond prison time. An offender must get themselves registered within 72 hours of parole placement, probation, or release from prison. The Registry data will include the offender’s:
- Name and alias
- Birth details
- Physical details like height, weight, and eye color
- Employment details
No, it does not include the details of all sex offenders in Georgia. If you cannot find a particular record on the Registry, it’s possible that:
- The offender is an unregistered sex offender
- Law enforcement cannot map the offender
- The offender is convicted of a misdemeanor sex offense or has been tried in Georgia’s juvenile court
- The court has pardoned the offender’s compulsory registration
- The Registry website is yet to update the offender’s record
Depending on individual parole or probation terms, the offenders may have to face other restrictions like:
- Travel and movement restrictions
- Monitored internet usage
- Condition to wear an electronic monitoring device for life
Georgia sex offenders are required to follow registry laws for life, but they can petition the court for removal from the Registry.
Registrants can do that if they meet the criteria below:
- They have completed their prison, parole, and probation time
- Their victim did not sustain serious bodily harm during the offense
- They are not classified as high-risk offenders by the review board
- They do not have any prior convictions
The laws may give deserving sex offenders a second chance at a restriction-free life, but that hardly puts you at ease.
When you try accessing the database of the State’s Sex Offender Registry, you have to pass through annoying user agreements and CAPTCHA codes every few seconds.
If you are anxious about pesky sex offenders hiding in your neighborhood, DoNotPay has the perfect solution for you. Our Sex Offender Search and alert AI tool can access any state’s registry and let you view your desired result in under a minute!
Here’s what you need to do:
- Sign in to DoNotPay and click on the app’s Sex Offender Search option
- Specify your intent—whether you want a report on a specific individual or a complete list of all the registered offenders in your area
- Select a search radius of one, two, or three miles from your address
- Tell us if you want to use our weekly scan feature before viewing the final report
The report will contain mugshots and recorded details of every registered sex offender in your search query. If you activate the weekly scan feature, we will run routine area scans in the background and report you in a time-sensitive manner.
With DoNotPay by your side, you never have to worry about sexual predators preying on you or your family!
Tired of brainstorming the easiest way to deal with administrative issues? We know how you feel, and we’re here to take the burden off your back!
Once you subscribe to our app, you’ll be able to resolve an abundance of bureaucratic issues with ease.
Taking a valid passport photo, reporting workplace discrimination, reducing property taxes, preparing for a government test, applying for a college fee waiver, and appealing a parking ticket are some of the many tasks we assist you with.
Are you dissatisfied with a certain company and/or its products? You don’t have to stay quiet! Use DoNotPay to file your insurance, warranty, or missing/late parcel claim effortlessly! We’ll also show you how to request an item return in a few steps.