How Long Does PayPal Take To Refund a Cancelled Payment?
PayPal is one of the top services for online payments. It is used in more than 200 countries and boasts billions of transactions every year.
If you go to their home page, it says “We’ve got you covered!”. They go on to assure you right off the bat that they will give you your money back if something’s not right with your purchase. That isn’t always the case, however.
We’ll explain the ins and outs of canceled Paypal payments, as well as all the methods you could try to see your money back in your account.
What You Should Know About PayPal Refund Policy
Before we guide you through the whole process of a canceled payment refund, let’s take a look at PayPal’s refund policy.
What Qualifies for a Refund?
As stated in PayPal’s Purchase Protection policy, there are three instances when PayPal will grant you a refund. You'll get one if:
- An item you bought was never delivered
- A purchased item was significantly different from what you ordered
- You didn’t make a purchase, but you were charged
When Can I Submit a Refund Request?
If you fall under the first two options of a PayPal refund, you have 180 days from your purchase to request a refund.
In case the third situation applies to you, you are eligible for a refund if you submit a request within 60 days from the date of the purchase. Getting charged without making a purchase is often the result of a scam. Learn all about it by reading our article on receiving a PayPal refund if you get scammed.
How Can I Request a Refund on PayPal?
You can demand a refund on PayPal by:
How To Cancel a PayPal Payment
You can cancel a payment if the seller hasn’t claimed it or if it’s pending. If the pending status lasts for 30 days, you can relax—your money will be returned to you by default.
If you chose the cancellation option, take a look at how to do it through PayPal:
- Go to your Paypal account
- Select Activity
- Click on Search Activities
- Find the payment you wish to cancel
- Tap on Cancel
- Click on Cancel Payment
DoNotPay Is the Faster Way! Get a Refund for Your Canceled Payment In No Time!
When all the regulations, time limits, and steps get too confusing, DoNotPay knows a better way! Open DoNotPay in your and do the following:
- Select the File a Chargeback option
- Fill in your bank information
- Type in the name of the merchant
- Answer some additional questions and click Submit
It’s both fast and simple! This way, we can contact both the seller and the bank to make sure we leave no stone unturned when it comes to getting your money back.
PayPal Canceled Payment Refund Time
When you are unable to cancel a payment, you can demand a refund. If you’ve already canceled a PayPal payment, what you are getting is a chargeback. The Fair Credit Billing Act proposes that you are allowed to request a chargeback from your bank up to 60 days from the payment date.
Requesting both refunds and chargebacks from PayPal can be a lengthy process, and not instant. Many PayPal users claim they had to wait longer to have their money back than what was stated on PayPal’s website:
|Payment Method||Cancellation Method||Chargeback Time|
|Debit/credit card or bank account||Canceled on PayPal||Around 5–30 days|
|PayPal balance||Canceled on PayPal||Immediately or 5–7 days|
|Any of the above||Pending payment automatically canceled||Immediately or within a few days|
How Can I Check the Status of My Canceled Payment?
Whether you canceled a payment to get your money back or submitted a refund request, you can check the status in your PayPal account:
- Click on Activity
- Choose Filters from the drop-down menu
- Click on Refunds
- Tap on the transaction you want to check
The refund status can be marked as one of the following:
- Pending—This can happen due to bank delays or if your email address hasn’t been confirmed yet
- Refunded or Partially Refunded—You should see the returned money in your balance
- Temporary Hold—The refund was sent, but your bank hasn’t approved it yet
- Completed—The refund process is complete
In case you can't see the money in your account even though it says Refunded or Completed, you should contact PayPal's customer support. You can do this on the website or call them by dialing 1-402-935-2050.
Dealing with customer support on the phone can be an arduous undertaking if they even pick up. DoNotPay can swoop in and take your place in the waiting line. Once we reach a customer service rep, you’ll be contacted so that you can join the call.
Is PayPal or the Seller Giving You a Hard Time? Take Them to Small Claims Court!
Did a merchant deny your refund? Or was it PayPal? Not to worry—you can sue them both in small claims court with DoNotPay’s help! The American Bar Association gave us the esteemed Louis M. Brown Award for Legal Access, so you can rely on us through the whole legal process.
With our AI-powered technology, we can help you build and win your case! These are a few tasks you can expect to get DoNotPay’s assistance with:
- Completing court forms and other paperwork
- Writing a demand letter
- Filing your complaint in small claims court
- Serving the merchant or PayPal
- Preparing a court statement
With DoNotPay having your back, getting a hold of your money will be a piece of cake!
More PayPal Questions? Get Your Answers Here!
Though an easy payment method, PayPal can be difficult to navigate, making it complex to find the exact information you need to solve your problems. We know the struggle, which is why DoNotPay has compiled plenty of articles to tackle specific issues and answer any burning questions about PayPal. Find answers to any of the following questions:
- Can I get a PayPal shipping refund?
- What is the best virtual credit card to connect with PayPal?
- How do I link a virtual credit card to PayPal?
- Can I get a PayPal chargeback protection?
- How can I report PayPal spam email and PayPal phishing?
What Other Issues Can DoNotPay Solve for Me?
DoNotPay is not only the best tool when it comes to refunds and cancellations. We strive to eliminate many problems, such as getting compensated for overbooked flights, unsubscribing from email, and so much more!
Access DoNotPay from any and free yourself from annoying bureaucratic inconveniences. Here’s what we can help you with:
- Dealing with bills you are unable to pay
- Overturning your speeding tickets
- Getting back at robocalls
- Suing people and companies in small claims court
- Jumping the phone queue when contacting customer service
- Dealing with credit card issues
- Claiming a refund from any company
- Canceling subscriptions and memberships
- Fighting your traffic tickets
- Scheduling a DMV appointment the easy-breezy way
- Locating clinical trials near you
- Getting refunds and compensation for delayed or canceled flights
- Contesting your parking tickets
- Keeping yourself safe from stalking and harassment
- Freeing yourself from spam emails
- Signing up for free trials safely
- Protecting your work from copyright infringement