The Easiest Way to Close a US Bank Account
US Bancorp is an American banking institution based in Minnesota. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) says they have a poor reputation for customer service, with more than 2,600 complaints in the past year. If you want to close your US Bank account, the DoNotPay App is the fastest and easiest way!
This article explores all the ways to close a US Bank account. We'll start with the DoNotPay App and also explain how to close your US Bank account in person or via snail mail.
Remember, you can close any bank account with DoNotPay, like:
First, let's answer two common questions about closing a US Bank account.
|Will it affect my credit if the bank closes my account?||If you owe money to the bank, then it might. But if your account is in good standing it won't affect your credit.|
|Does closing a bank account affect my credit score?||No. As long as you don't owe the bank money, it won't affect your credit score.|
Now, let's see how fast and easy it is to close your US Bank Account with DoNotPay.
How to Close a US Bank Account With DoNotPay
The DoNotPay App is the best way to close your US Bank account. You don't need to find a branch, stand in line, or write a letter.
Just follow these steps:
- Go to the Close Bank Accounts product on DoNotPay.
- Select which bank the account was opened under, and enter the account type, account number, and your local branch location.
- Indicate who this account belongs to. If the owner or co-owner has passed away, upload a death certificate or other formal evidence. If you are not the original account owner, upload evidence of your legal relationship with the owner.
- Tell us why you need to close this account.
- Enter your contact information, including email, phone number, and the address you want any remaining funds to be sent to.
- Submit your task! DoNotPay will mail the request letter on your behalf. You should hear back from the bank with confirmation or a request for more information within a few weeks.
It only takes a few minutes to close a US Bank account. You can try to handle it yourself, but it will take much longer, and if you're not an attorney, there's a chance you might miss an important detail on the paperwork.
Other Ways to Close a US Bank Account
You can close a US Bank account by visiting your local branch.
Closing a US Bank Account in Person
Follow these steps:
- Gather your paperwork. This will include your ID, account numbers, and any other relevant paperwork like death certificates (more on that in a moment)
- Find the nearest branch using US Bank's branch locator tool online.
- Contact the branch office to verify their address and hours.
- Visit the branch.
- Explain to the teller that you need to close the US Bank account.
- They'll probably have you sit with a manager.
- Sign the forms and collect your funds.
While it's not terribly hard to close a US Bank account if you live near one, it does take a few hours to complete. And the process is more difficult if you live far away from any branch. If that's your situation, you'll need to cancel your account via a letter.
Writing a Letter to Close a US Bank Account
If you enjoy writing professional letters — and waiting many weeks to get a response — you can close your US Bank account with a cancellation letter.
Be sure to:
- Include the name of the bank, the branch you visit, and the account number
- Sign and date the letter
- State a reason for closing the account, like "bad customer service" or "too many fees"
- Include a return address, phone number and email address
If you have significant funds in your US Bank account, this is probably not your best option. US Bank has a reputation for taking many weeks to process a cancellation this way Nothing is more stressful than knowing your money is somewhere in the mail.
If you're not an attorney, you might make a minor mistake in your letter making it ineffective; it's better to use the DoNotPay App.
DoNotPay is also helpful for closing bank accounts with special situations.
How to Close a US Bank Account if Someone Passed Away
When someone passes away without a will, you'll need to provide a certified copy of the death certificate to close the account. This is true whether you're a family member or business partner, and applies to any US Bank account such as business checking, personal savings, etc.
Remember, only a certified copy will work. You cannot send a copy of a copy or an informational copy. It must be the formal document, which is numbered and has a raised or embossed seal.
DoNotPay makes it easy to close US Bank accounts if someone has passed away, just upload the documents and click submit.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Remember, the DoNotPay App can help you with all kinds of legal paperwork. Whether you need help collecting marriage, birth or death certificates, or you need to cancel a timeshare contract, try DoNotPay today!