How to Delete Ring Account Easily
A subsidiary of Amazon, Ring LLC is a home security and smart home company that sells residential security equipment. As novel as it is to have built the largest civilian-installed surveillance network in the United States, with immense power, comes abuse. Many consumers want to over recent privacy concerns, as well as a myriad of other problems.
While its Ring Protect Plan is optional, users quickly find out that having security equipment without it is pointless. Hundreds of consumer complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) reveal issues of overbilling, defective equipment, shoddy customer service, poor service quality, among other things. DoNotPay can help you cancel and/or delete your Ring Account without any hassle or running around.
Is Ring Helping Law Enforcement Circumvent Constitutional and Statutory Protections?
Amazon acquired (originally Doorbot) from Bot Home Automation Incorporated in February 2018. In three years, Amazon has aggressively brokered partnerships with over 1,800 law enforcement agencies throughout the United States. Assisting investigators when absolutely necessary isn't the issue. Rather, Amazon allowed agencies access to surveillance videos of Ring Protect subscribers without warrants.
This gave police departments across the country access to millions of videos recorded in the privacy of people's homes. And despite this being brought to public awareness, Amazon's partnership with governmental agencies is still growing at an alarming rate. Mozilla Firefox reported that by April 2021, Ring's quarterly report revealed that police submitted more than 22,000 individual requests for content recorded by privately owned Ring surveillance cameras.
Will My Photos and Videos Be Deleted Once I Delete My Ring Account?
Amazon Web Services supports Ring's cloud-based infrastructure, making obtaining privately recorded videos a cinch, especially when a warrant is "inconvenient." For anyone seriously considering deleting their Ring account, they should know and understand what this means about any data they have lingering around in the cloud.
- Ring videos are stored in the cloud "temporarily" in the cloud for 60 days in the United States.
- Snapshot Captures (recurring photo snapshots throughout the day) are stored in your account for seven days.
- By purchasing Ring's products and services, you're essentially handing over the right for Ring to access and use your content "without any compensation or obligation to you."
- By agreeing to the above, Ring makes it clear that it has the right to "…access and use your content and related location information for the purposes of publicly sharing such recordings and information." This includes sharing that content with law enforcement.
- Lastly, and most critically, the terms of service state: "Deleted Content and User Recordings may be stored by Ring in order to comply with certain legal obligations and are not retrievable without a valid court order."
How You Can Delete Ring Account On Your Own
There are not many ways you can delete a Ring account.
|Can I Delete With||Yes / No|
When you search for the term "delete account" on the website, the only result that comes close to an answer is "Cancelling a Ring Account You Did Not Sign Up For." By clicking that link, you can simply follow the instructions to get the same result.
Change the Password
- If you have forgotten your Ring account password, try to log in.
- Click on the Forgot Password link.
- Enter the email address associated with your Ring account when prompted.
- Ring will then send you an email with a link attached for recovering your account.
- After clicking the link, you'll be redirected to an account recovery page where you'll enter your new password.
Delete the Account
- After changing your password, you'll be redirected back to the login page.
- Log into your account and navigate to the Data Requests page.
- Click on Delete my Account.
Please note that once you click Delete my Account, the action cannot be reversed. You'll have to open an account as a new user if you decide to use Ring's services in the future.
How You Can Delete Ring Account Using DoNotPay
The team at DoNotPay has years of experience addressing various customer service matters. Helping people rectify problems with online accounts is no exception. When you use our Delete Accounts product, you'll be presented with a few questions about the account in question. The information you provide helps us verify that you own the account.
Once we've gathered the necessary information, a demand letter will be sent to Ring by DoNotPay on your behalf. This letter is meant to verify to the service provider that the account is indeed yours and that you want it deleted right away. Remember that being able to easily delete your account falls under certain consumer rights and data privacy laws, such as General Data Privacy Regulations (GDPR).
All you have to do is:
- Go to Delete Old Accounts product on DoNotPay.
- Select the type of account you are trying to delete, such as email, streaming service, social media, gaming, eCommerce, and more.
- Tell us more about your account, including usernames and associated emails / phone numbers.
- Help us verify your account ownership by entering the date you first created the account, when you last logged in, any payment methods saved under the account, etc.
- Upload photographic evidence if you have any that can help prove your account ownership.
- Enter any last known or previously used passwords.
- Enter your contact information and submit the task!
And that's it!
DoNotPay Works Across All Companies
DoNotPay can also help you delete unused, inactive accounts on:
Take Back Your Privacy With DoNotPay
Having to pretend you're deleting an account you "didn't sign up for" only to delete your current account is ridiculous. You, as a consumer, have a right to protect your data by not leaving it to float endlessly in limbo. Companies like Ring (including its parent company Amazon) count on users' impatience to keep accounts open indefinitely. In many cases, this is exactly what happens.
However, doing so increases the chances that your account will end up in nefarious hands with your personal information. Use our Delete Accounts product today and take back your privacy.
DoNotPay makes it extremely easy and painless. Contact us if you have further questions about deleting an account or canceling a service not listed.