Pokemon Go: Burner Phone Can Help Bypass Phone Verification
In the five years since its inception, the augmented reality game app Pokemon GO recorded more than one billion downloads. The game experienced an increase in popularity during the pandemic that saw monthly active users increase by 15 percent and spending increase by nearly 50 percent. With all of that popularity, some consumers are concerned about the risk of having their personal information stolen. Before playing Pokemon Go, you can get a burner phone that can help bypass signup verification. DoNotPay's Burner Phone product can help you safeguard your personal information.
Why Do People Use Burner Phones When Playing Pokemon Go?
The Pokemon Go app requires users to provide several personal details about themselves upon signup, including the following:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Postal address.
Unfortunately, like many companies, the company that created Pok emon Go states clearly that this information can be shared with third parties -- meaning third-party advertisers. In playing Pokemon Go, burner phones can help you bypass verifications.
What Happens Next?
These advertisers can then use the number to inundate your phone with unwanted robocalls or spam or even use your phone number to stalk you. Using a burner phone prevents third-party advertisers from gaining access to your information and using it to contact you about their services on the phone you use for your daily activities and for keeping in contact with loved ones. It also prevents other area players that you are interacting with within the game from gaining access to your personal information.
There Are Other Options
While burner phones are an easy way to avoid the issue of giving your number out every time you sign up for a product or service online, they are a costly option when compared to obtaining a temporary number through DoNotPay.
Why Pok emon Go Collects Personal Information
Pok emon Go uses geolocation data of the users from their phones to make the game functional. Advertising partners use the data collected by the company to do these three things:
- Learn more about users in the area.
- Modify the game's features so that those users have a reason to visit their stores.
- Contact you by phone in an attempt to advertise directly to you.
Cheaper Alternatives to a Burner Phone
Many individuals combat the privacy issues concerning online signups by purchasing an older model phone from a major phone carrier. Unfortunately, these phones are often expensive, and because they are older models, they do not always have the functionality needed to enjoy all the game's features. Instead of buying a burner phone, you can also protect your personal information by:
- Using your work phone can help avoid spammers contacting your number, but it can also get you in trouble with your employer and can result in lost productivity when those spam calls are then routed to your work phone instead.
- Using Google Voice, which is free. However, it does not work for bypassing SMS verification for all services.
- Searching Google for fake numbers to use for verification, though these numbers are often unreliable, and companies have software to detect fake numbers.
- Fake number apps, which often require a subscription or payments per number used.
- Create a temporary number through DoNotPay to quickly generate a temporary number that you can use during sign-up.
Use DoNotPay to Sign Up for Pok emon Go
Obtaining a fake phone number through DoNotPay's Burner Phone product is simple, requiring just four steps:
|Step 1||Open DoNotPay in your web browser.|
|Step 2||Navigate to the Burner Phone section.|
|Step 3||Enter the name of a service that has asked you to provide a number and click "Create a temporary number."|
|Step 4||Use the number to receive a confirmation text or code.|
Virtual Credit Card Services
Like burner phones, virtual credit cards protect the personal information of individuals when they use the Pokemon Go app. Virtual credit cards are unique, randomly generated credit card numbers complete with expiration dates and CVV that allow you to make real transactions without revealing your banking information.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Another service DoNotPay can provide to you is requesting a refund from Pokemon Go for you. While the game is free, there are several in-app purchases. Individuals have had issues with accidentally making an in-app purchase, being charged twice for the same purchase, or technical issues that prevented them from using their in-app purchase.
Additionally, suppose you feel that Niantic, the company that created Pokemon Go, has violated your rights as a consumer. In that case, you can file a legal claim against the company using DoNotPay's Robot Lawyer product.
Take a look at some of DoNotPay's other offerings, including:
- Protection against copyright infringement
- Contacting your incarcerated loved ones
- Dealing with bills you are unable to pay
- Protecting yourself from stalking and harassment
- Signing up for other services without phone verification
- Finding unclaimed funds under your name
- Getting refunds from companies
- Signing up for free trials risk-free
- Helping you free yourself from spam emails forever
- Stopping text spam
- Applying for clinical trials
- Credit card issues
- Canceling subscriptions or memberships
- Getting in touch with customer service reps
- Getting revenge on robocalls
- Filing claims against individuals or companies in small claims court
- Scheduling appointments at the DMV
- Obtaining compensation and refunds for delayed or canceled flights
- Contesting parking tickets