Sue a Hotel for Bed Bugs and Get Compensated
Bed bugs being in your hotel bed is a serious cause for concern. Aside from the bites they leave and the itchiness that can cause, it's extremely easy for these minuscule creatures to travel from the hotel back home with you. You may be wondering, ?
Suing isn't an easy process, but it can be made less difficult with DoNotPay's help. We'll help you get the paperwork started and sent off to the correct place so you can start your claim today.
Are There Bed Bug Laws?
Not all states have laws on bed bugs, but some do. In Alabama, for example, hotels must ensure sanitary conditions and inhibit conditions that would harbor bed bugs or other infestations. If an infestation is found, the guest room must be closed immediately and the situation needs to be rectified.
A few other states with laws include:
|Any tourist attraction must take necessary steps to prevent infestations of bed bugs, other insects, rodents, and pests.
|Any lodging establishment that finds an imminent health hazard, such as bed bugs, must cease operations and avoid renting out the particular room until the situation is handled. Once found, they must notify the Secretary of Agriculture within 12 hours.
|All lodging establishments must be constructed to prevent the harborage or breeding of bed bugs or other pests. A professional, licensed exterminator must be utilized if the infestation is too large to handle by a non-licensed person.
|All hotel rooms suffering from a bed bug problem must be fumigated and disinfected.
|All bedding and carpeting at hotels must be kept in a sanitary condition. Anything involved in a bed bug incident must be replaced.
|All vacation homes must be constructed to prevent the harborage of bed bugs or pests. Fumigation and disinfection techniques need to be used to handle infestations. If said infestations cannot be handled with these methods by a non-professional, then a professional must be hired.
Many states have bed bug laws, but they pertain to rental units and landlord establishments, not hotels or similar lodgings.
Suing by Yourself
You can start the suing process yourself by visiting your local courthouse. Ask for the paperwork necessary to sue someone and pay the associated filing fee. You may be able to find and print the papers online. It can cost anywhere up to $500, depending on your location and local laws.
How You Can Sue With DoNotPay
The Sue Now product from DoNotPay can help you get the process started quickly. It only requires a few steps:
- Select the "Sue Now" product after you log into DoNotPay.
- Enter the dollar amount you believe you are owed - typically the amount charged for any hospital bills or related expenses.
- Select between the demand letter or court filing forms.
- Describe your reasons for filing the claim and submit any details about your case.
Before you immediately resort to suing, you may want to file an initial complaint with the hotel or resort. This allows them to address the problem and get it fixed before it can impact any additional guests. If you visit the front desk immediately upon discovering bed bugs, they may be able to move you to a new room that's sanitary and free from pests.
How to sue a hotel using DoNotPay:
- Go to the Hotel Bill Complaints & Refunds product on DoNotPay.
- Tell us the details of your experience and complaint, including how it negatively impacted your stay, and provide photographic evidence if available.
- Enter the details of your reservation, including the check-in/check-out dates and hotel room number.
- Tell us whether this is for a past reservation or you're still at the hotel (this helps us decide whether negotiation or chargeback is a better option for your case).
- Choose whether you want us to contact the front desk or general manager (if you've already tried contacting the front desk already).
This complaint form can be used whether you want to report excessive noise coming from a neighbor, unsanitary conditions in the room or elsewhere within the hotel, or any other issue that arises during your stay.
Why Use DoNotPay to Help You Connect With an Inmate
The reason why DoNotPay has been successful with its continued service is due to the fact that it is:
- Fast—You don't have to spend hours trying to solve the issue.
- Easy—You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in solving your problem.
- Successful—You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you.
DoNotPay Helps You File Hotel Complaints for Various Reasons
Reporting a bed bug situation isn't all DoNotPay is good for. We'll help you file hotel complaints for various reasons, including:
- Making a corporate complaint about Choice Hotels that went unresolved at your location
- Making a complaint about the poor customer service received at Hyatt
- Making complaints regarding situations that occurred at Motel 6, Sheraton, Hilton, or another facility
Does DoNotPay Answer Any Other Questions?
The question of "" isn't the only one that will pop up in your lifetime. If at any point you have other questions or concerns that need answering, DoNotPay can help. We'll also answer:
- How can I find out about a recall on cat food?
- How can I get free food from Wendy's?
- How can I get a document notarized?
- How can I make a complaint against a neighbor?
As well as other pressing matters that come to mind in the future.