Protect Your Privacy: Use a Fake Phone Number for Skype
Skype is a very convenient way for people to view each other while talking long-distance. But one of the reasons some users might not want to use Skype is because it asks for your phone number in the setup stage. Your phone number is something that you might not want to give out to just anyone, whether it 's a person or a company. And Skype is no exception.
Fortunately, there's a way around this phone number request; you can generate a burner phone number and use it for your Skype setup.
Why Do People Use Burner Phones?
Protecting your privacy is important to most people. And when you enter your phone number into Skype, you run the risk of it being visible to other people. A person can look you up by your phone number on Skype and get in touch with you, even if they're someone you blocked on your phone.
There is a way to remove your phone number from Skype, but this might require some additional steps. Overall, it might be a hassle to remove your phone number once you've entered it. So it makes sense to use a fake phone number for Skype. This will prevent you from being harassed in any way by people that you 're trying to avoid.
Why Does Skype Ask For Phone Verification?
Skype only asks you for phone verification so that your friends and family will be able to connect with you right away. There may be other people with your name, but there aren't going to be other people with your phone number. This makes it easy for someone looking for you to find you.
But, of course, you can also make sure that your friends and family have the exact user id that you set up on Skype. This will enable them to find you as easily as your phone number. So you don't need to give Skype your primary phone number for verification.
How Else Can You Avoid Phone Verification?
There are many ways people have tried to bypass giving out their phone number to Skype and other apps that ask for phone verification. They may opt to get a fake phone number or use a legitimate number that doesn't belong to them. Popular strategies include:
Classic burner phone
Buying burner phones with a different SIM card which provides another phone number to use.
Online call forwarding
Using services like Google Voice gives you a free phone number for calling, messaging, and voicemail.
Using a friend or family member's phone number to avoid providing your own.
But all these methods have their cons:
- Burner phones are expensive
- Friends and family members might not appreciate you giving out their numbers
- Google Voice and other services might ask for the same personal information you were trying not to divulge in the first place
What Are the Potential Issues With Phone Verification?
It can get somewhat annoying when you're trying to sign up for a service but can't get past the phone verification stage. Everyone has had this happen at least once. They keep waiting for the one-time password to arrive, but it never does.
There can be many reasons why your phone verification isn't going through.
- You've blocked all unknown numbers.
- You're using a service that gives you a fake number, but the app that you're trying to sign up for recognizes it as a fake number.
In either case, you can still use DoNotPay 's burner phone numbers and call customer service to help you figure out what the issue is.
Use DoNotPay to Sign Up for Skype Without a Phone Number
So how exactly does the temporary burner phone number generation work? Don't worry. Learning how to use a fake phone number for Skype is easy and even someone who is not particularly tech-savvy (but interested in protecting privacy) can do it. DoNotPay 's burner phone numbers are available only for 10 minutes while you sign up for verification.
- Go to the burner phone product.
- Choose the company you want to create a burner phone number for (in this case, Skype).
- Click on "create a temporary number".
- The application will generate a number.
- You can make note of it and carry on with setting up your Skype account.
- Feel free to generate a new number any time for any other service as well. It's a small step toward your security and peace of mind.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Now that you've seen the advantages of using a fake phone number app to sign up for Skype, keep in mind that you can use this product for various other things too. Here are some of the potential advantages:
- Generating virtual credit cards
- Getting a robocaller's information without giving out your own
- Avoid waiting in line to get customer service
- Get your parking tickets voided or reduced
- Get legal help and sue companies in small claims court
- Get unsubscribed from text spam and get paid
- Protect your privacy while looking for unclaimed assets/money
- Communicate with incarcerated people
- Fight in-person and cyberstalking with a cease and desist letter
- Get unsubscribed from email spam and get paid
If you want to have the advantage of a face-to-face conversation on Skype without giving out your phone number, DoNotPay might just be the right choice for you. And once you've tried using DoNotPay for one type of service, feel free to scroll through all our other offerings to see if there's one that applies to you.