Free UK Parking Ticket Appeal Letter Template
Parking tickets are a less-than-pleasant fact of life, but that doesn't mean you absolutely must pay them. With a proper , you may be able to challenge the ticket and win your case.
A Parking Ticket Appeal Letter Template Can Help You Fight the Fees
Parking violations, whether privately issued or delivered by police, are big businesses throughout Great Britain. Added up, parking tickets in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales contribute millions of pounds to local authorities each and every year. Fortunately, a well-written may help you get out of paying.
Average Parking Ticket Fines
According to This Is Money, the average UK council assesses more than £850,000 in parking fines every year. The average price of a parking ticket is £37, although drivers in the London boroughs of Haringey and Gosport typically pay higher fines unless they know how to appeal a parking ticket.
Top 10 London Authorities That Make the Most From Motorists
- London Borough of Newham
- London Borough of Haringey
- London Borough of Ealing
- London Borough of Redbridge
- London Borough of Enfield
- London Borough of Lambeth
- London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham
- London Borough of Islington
- London Borough of Brent
- London Borough of Bexley
What to Do if You Receive a Parking Ticket or Penalty Charge Notice in the UK
With tens of thousands of parking citations issued by police and private agencies every day, chances are good that someday you will be the unhappy recipient of a parking ticket or penalty charge. If and when you get a parking ticket, the worst thing you can do is ignore it.
If you were clearly in the wrong, go ahead and pay the ticket. In most cases, you have 28 days to pay or make a formal challenge, or ‘representation’. If you are ticketed and fail to deal with it for more than the allotted time, you may be prosecuted and required to pay 50 percent more than the original fine, as well.
Penalty Charge Notices (PCN)
Penalties may be assessed for a number of reasons. Parking penalties are the most common, but motorists can also be fined for breaking certain traffic rules, such as driving in a dedicated bus lane or ignoring a ‘no right turn’ sign. Failure to pay the London congestion zone charge, Dartford Crossing (Dart Charge) or low emission zone fee on time can also result in a penalty charge notice.
Motorists who disagree with a parking ticket found on their windscreen in England and Wales have the legal option to make an informal challenge with the local council. PCN received in the post may be challenged, too, but the process is somewhat different and requires a written appeal.
Eight Grounds for Appealing a Parking Ticket
As Transport for London explains these eight reasons are grounds to appeal:
- The violation did not occur
- The parking restriction was invalid or illegal
- The ticketed vehicle was taken without the owner's consent
- The penalty amount is excessive or incorrect
- The ticketed vehicle was not owned by the motorist at the time of the violation
- The violation was the fault of someone who hired the vehicle
- The penalty charge was previously paid
- Procedural impropriety on the part of the parking enforcement agency
What to Include in Your Appeal Letter
When you write your appeal letter, make every word count. Here's a to help you write the most effective letter:
Subject: Penalty Charge Notice or Fixed Penalty Notice [include number]
I am writing to you regarding the above Penalty Charge Notice that was issued to my vehicle [include registration mark] which was issued on [date] for the alleged reason [description]
I wish to appeal the PCN because [indicate which of eight grounds is being used for appeal]
Attach all supporting evidence, sign and date the letter, and send it to:
PO Box 335
Darlington DL1 9PU
|Telephone||0343 222 3333|
|Telephone Hours||Monday to Friday||8:00 am to 8:00 pm|
A Better Way to Appeal a Parking Ticket in the UK
Challenging a parking ticket on your own can be an exercise in frustration. That's why DoNotPay invented an artificial intelligence system that does all the hard work for you. Debuted in the UK in 2016, DoNotPay has already helped tens of thousands of motorists get out of paying parking tickets, and we can help you, too. Here's how it works:
- Log-in to DoNotPay and go to the Ticket Disputes category. Select the Parking Ticket product.
- Upload a photo of your citation.
- Provide us with some details on why you believe the citation issued is a mistake.
- That’s it! You’ll receive an appeal letter that contains the best argument to win your case.
That's really all there is to it! Once you have our robot-written letter in hand, you will be able to present your best case for getting out of paying the ticket and associated fines.
Other Ways DoNotPay Can Help You in the UK or USA Today
- We can dispute parking tickets in New York City
- We can dispute your penalty charge notices in Islington
- We can help fight a parking ticket in Los Angeles
- We can help fight parking tickets in Chicago
- We can help fight parking tickets in San Jose, California
- We can help you get refunded for airline tickets
- We can teach you everything about PCN
- We can tell you how long after a violation a PCN can be issued
- We can tell you how to challenge a PCN in Birmingham
- We can tell you how to pay (or not pay) a PCN
- We can help fight parking tickets in Seattle
Writing is something DoNotPay does every day. We make other things a lot easier, too. If there's anything else we can help you with today, .
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Helping you out with your appeal letter template is just one of the many things DoNotPay can offer. Here are a couple of other services that we could help you with