All You Need to Know About Car Registration Renewal in Michigan
Let's face it; car registration renewal is one of the things most people dread. The long queues and waiting hours make us want to avoid the whole process, and it is mainly the penalty fee that forces us to comply. But there is some good news for those seeking a Michigan car registration renewal.
DoNotPay's allows you to renew your car registration at the comfort of your home, enabling you to get on with your day.
How to Renew Your Car Registration in Michigan?
The Secretary of State (SOS) mails a renewal notice 45 days before the renewal, and vehicles are at liberty to renew their car registration in-person, online, or by mail. You are also at liberty to renew your car registration six months earlier. Below are the steps for each method.
How to Renew Your Michigan Car Registration In-Person?
- Visit a Michigan SOS Branch
- Present the renewal notice or your old registration
- Present your Michigan driver's license and proof of no-fault insurance
- Pay the required renewal fee
How to Renew Your Michigan Car Registration by Mail?
Renewal by mail is only allowed if you have received a renewal notice and correct vehicle information. The following process applies:
- Collect your registration renewal notice
- Collect your proof of no-fault insurance
- Make a check or money order payable to the SOS
- Send the documents, notice, and fee to: Michigan Department of State Renewal by Mail 7064 Crowner Dr. Lansing, MI 48980-0001
How to Renew Your Michigan Car Registration Online?
- Visit the vehicle registration online service.
- Under vehicle transactions, click "Renew Vehicle-watercraft-snowmobile."
- Choose the type of car you are renewing.
- Type in your license plate number, the last four digits of your VIN, and your email address.
- Pay the fee required by the system.
How Much Does It Cost to Renew Your Car Registration?
In Michigan, the registration renewal fee for vehicles is calculated based on its Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP), age, and weight. With many factors to consider, the chart provides some guidelines on how the fee is reached upon. The renewal fee can range from under $100 to a few hundred dollars based on these considerations.
A penalty fee of $10 also applies for renewing after the due date, while the state also charges a convenience fee of 1.5% of the transaction amount for those that renew online with a credit card. Since 2017, owners of electric vehicles have also been required to pay an extra fee of between $30 and $200 in addition to the renewal amount.
Among a slew of bills signed into law in November 2021 was senate bill 220 that allows free registration renewal for certain agricultural and industrial vehicles.
What Do I Need to Renew My Car Registration in Michigan?
The documents required for renewal are:
- Renewal notice or old registration for each registration (or plate configuration)
- Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance for each registration
- Driver's license
- Cash, check, money order, MasterCard, Discover, and Visa debit and credit cards*
How Often Do You Need to Renew Your Car Registration in Michigan?
For the longest time, vehicle registration renewal has been an annual exercise, with the registration usually expiring on the car owner 's birthday. In November 2021, however, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed House Bill 4117, allowing vehicle owners to register their vehicles for two years.
Therefore, effective October 2022, drivers in Michigan will have the option of renewing their registration for two years at a time, saving them an annual visit to the SOS branch. The bill was signed to reduce congestion at SOS branches, but the option to renew it annually still exists for those that would like to continue with the long-standing tradition.
Renewing Your Car Registration in Michigan Using DoNotPay
At DoNotPay, we know that you would like to spend your time more constructively rather than queuing at the DMV, and that is why our car registration renewal product offers you the convenience of undertaking the whole process without leaving your home. We 'll require you to answer a few questions about your current car, past registration, and driver's license and complete the process on your behalf.
- Go to the Renew Car Registrations product on DoNotPay.
- Answer a few questions about your current vehicle, including the license plate number, vehicle identification number, make and model, etc.
- Verify your identity with a state driver's license and registration documents.
- Decide how long you want to extend the renewal for (if your state offers multiple options).
- Pay the registration fee (or let us automatically calculate it if you aren't sure).
DoNotPay will then complete the registration renewal and furnish you with the confirmation PDF.
DoNotPay Works Across All States.
Not a resident of Michigan? Worry not because our car registration renewal product is also available across all states in the country.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
- Appeal parking tickets in any city
- Dispute seatbelt tickets
- Schedule appointments with the DMV
- Standardized legal document
Our services are first ensuring that you do not have to spend hours at the DMV. We are also not marred by procedures, and neither do you need to carry numerous documents nor make trips to the bank or post office. You can rest assured that we will do our best to get your car registration renewed.
So what are you waiting for? with DoNotPay today.