DoNotPay Simplifies Your Louisiana Car Registration Renewal
In the State of Louisiana, car registration expires every two years. The renewal encompasses the number plates and should be done before the last date of the current registration certificate. You can rely on DoNotPay to do your conveniently and fast.
The Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles allows you to renew your vehicle registration in person or online. However, going to the OMV offices is usually time-consuming, especially when everyone else is rushing for the same purpose. On the other hand, the online method is sometimes plagued with delays and confusing instructions, making you repeat the process countless times.
Fortunately, DoNotPay simplifies the renewal process with a zero margin of error. Learn how to renew your car registration in Louisiana using the traditional method and a simpler route using DoNotPay.
How Do You Renew Your Car Registration in Louisiana?
The Office of Motor Vehicles will send you a notice a few weeks from the date of expiry. The notice contains the renewal fee, VIN, license plate number, and renewal I.D. You will need some of the details during the renewal process, depending on the method you use. Some of the means you can use include visiting in person, by mail, and via the internet.
Renew Your Louisiana Car Registration in Person
To renew your vehicle registration in person, you should present the required documents to the local OMV office and pay the fee stated in the notice. The officers at the OMV will take about 4 to 6 days to complete the renewal process and mail you the certificate.
There are offices scattered across the state where you can get the service. However, be prepared for long queues and a slow renewal process that might take you quite some time.
Renew Your Louisiana Car Registration Online
Here are the steps for renewing your Louisiana car registration online from home:
- Go to the Louisiana DMV car registration website or the Office of Motor Vehicles
- Locate the Online Service link on the website
- Type the year the model was manufactured, the renewal identification number, last digits of the VIN, the make of the vehicle, date acquired, and the license plate number.
- Verify your address
- Pay the amount shown by the system via any of the accepted cards
- Complete the transaction
- Print your receipt
The system does not show the transaction details for up to 24 hours. So, do not attempt to repeat the process until after the period. It will take an additional five business days to get your registration.
Renew Your Louisiana Car Registration by Mail
Here is how to renew the registration by mail:
- Verify the information on the renewal notice to determine if it is correct
- Include a copy of your photo I.D
- Get a valid inspection sticker
- Use a money order or write a check for the renewal fee. Be sure to include your renewal fee.
- Mail the documents to:
Office of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 64886
Baton Rouge, LA 70896
It takes up to a week and a half to have the documents processed and the renewal certificate mailed back.
How Much Does It Cost to Renew Your Car Registration?
In Louisiana, the cost of renewing your car's registration is based on the vehicle's MSRP. Car owners with vehicles with a minimum value of $10,000 pay 1% annually, paid in the second year. The minimum license plate fee (renewed with the registration) is $20.
Other vehicles are charged as follows:
- Light trucks (up to 6000 lbs.): $40 every 4 years
- Motorcycles: $12 every 4 years
- Commercial vehicles: $10 annually
- Motor homes: $50 every 2 years
The renewal notice will include the fee and the last date of renewing the registration. There is no grace period. If your current registration expires, you will pay a late fee based on a percentage of the renewal fee and duration after expiry.
What Do I Need to Renew My Car Registration in Louisiana?
Here are the items you need during the Louisiana car registration renewal:
- The renewal notice
- Valid inspection sticker
- Driver's license
- Proof of car insurance
- Renewal fee (in the form of cards, checks, or money order, based on the method you use)
How Often Do You Need to Renew Your Car Registration in Louisiana?
Louisiana law requires you to renew your car's registration after every 2 years. Some vehicle types have registration certificates that are renewable after 4 years. Please check the last date of the current registration on the notice.
Renew Your Louisiana Car Registration Conveniently with DoNotPay
As explained above, it takes quite an effort and time . You also have to comply with all the requirements. Since these requirements are so many, you are likely to forget a document or fill in the incorrect details.
It also takes quite a long period to get your registration certificate and up to a day to know if your renewal was successful. Fortunately, DoNotPay can simplify the process to guarantee a renewal on time without the cumbersome process.
How to Renew Your Car Registration using DoNotPay
If you want to renew your car registration but do not know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:
- Go to the Renew Car Registrations product on DoNotPay.
- Answer a few questions about your current vehicle, including the license plate number, vehicle identification number, make and model, etc.
- Verify your identity with a state driver's license and registration documents.
- Decide how long you want to extend the renewal for (if your state offers multiple options).
- Pay the registration fee (or let us automatically calculate it if you aren't sure).
Visit our Louisiana page to know more about the DoNotPay vehicle registration renewal process.
Why Use DoNotPay to Renew Your Car Registration in Louisiana?
Here are three main reasons why you should use DoNotPay for car registration renewals:
- Fast: We eliminate the lengthy renewal process for convenience
- Successful: We assure you that we shall track the renewal process to completion
- Easy: Our process is easy to follow and complete
DoNotPay Works Across all 50 States
You can use DoNotPay to renew your vehicle's registration. Click the state you wish to complete the process for more details.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay strives to solve many other problems fast and quickly. Here are additional features you can use on the platform to complete important tasks:
- Check and dispute parking tickets
- Dispute seatbelt tickets
- Book appointments with the DMV
- Notarize any legal document
Renew your Louisiana car registration conveniently and easily using DoNotPay. Sign Up today to save time and the strains that come with the process.