How to Renew Your South Dakota Car Registration?
As a driver, one of the most important things you do is renew your car registration. The process, however, isn't always quite as easy as you'd think it'd be. There are forms to fill out, fees to pay, evidence to provide. It can be a real hassle.
Renewing your South Dakota car registration doesn't have to be complicated. In fact, it can be as easy as a few small clicks with your mouse. Even better? Using DoNotPay to renew your car registration is more convenient than going through the state office. Read on to find out more.
How to Renew Your Car Registration in South Dakota
When renewing your South Dakota car registration, you've got several options:
- In-person. Go to the local motor vehicles office. Fill out the appropriate forms and pay the appropriate fee. Bring in your renewal notice and driver's license or ID. If the vehicle being renewed isn't on the notice, you'll also need to bring proof of ownership.
- Online. Go to the local motor vehicles office's website. Create an account. Fill out the appropriate information and pay the appropriate fee. You have to have your driver's license, ID number, date of birth, and customer number on your notice. You have to pay the mailing fee of $1 and the processing fee of $1.50 (e-check) or 2.25% (debit/credit card).
- Postal mail. Mail the notice and appropriate fees to the motor vehicles office. If the vehicle being renewed isn't on the notice, you'll need proof of ownership. You'll have to prove your identity through your driver's license or ID information. If in-state, you can pay with a check. Whether in-state or out-of-state, you can pay with a money order or cashier's check. You'll need to pay postage fees of $5 for each plate and $1 for each decal. Processing takes 2 weeks.
- Kiosk. This process is about the same as the online process, but you'll get the tags immediately. The processing fees are the same as the online process.
However, all of these options for renewing your car registration can be tedious, especially when trying to find the right fee owed. In all of the methods used, you'll pay a motor vehicle excise tax fee of 4% of the purchase price. The title fee, duplicate title fee, and lien notation fee are $10 each. DoNotPay offers a more efficient solution for renewing your South Dakota car registration.
How often do you need to renew your car registration in South Dakota?
South Dakota has no grace period for renewing your car registration. If it does expire, you've got 90 days to pay a late fee by week late. It has to be done annually and is based on the first letter of your last name.
|A and B||January|
|C to E||February|
|F, G, J||March|
|K and L||June|
|M and N||July|
|P, Q, R||August|
|All other letters||November|
Renewing Your South Dakota Car Registration With the Help of DoNotPay
DoNotPay has a better option for renewing your South Dakota car registration. Even better, we'll figure out how much you've got to pay. Here's what you need to do.
- Go to the Renew Car Registrations product on DoNotPay.
- Answer a few questions about your current vehicle, including the license plate number, vehicle identification number, make and model, etc.
- Verify your identity with a state driver's license and registration documents.
- Decide how long you want to extend the renewal for (if your state offers multiple options)
- Pay the registration fee (or let us automatically calculate it if you aren't sure).
DoNotPay can help you get your car registration renewed across all 50 states below:
Why Use DoNotPay to Solve the Renew Your Car Registration in South Dakota
DoNotPay has many different benefits. Here's the top three:
- Fast. You'll be able to do this quickly and be on your way.
- Easy. We do the math for you.
- Successful. You won't pay too much or too little.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
There's a lot of stuff DoNotPay can help you with.
- Use DoNotPay to help you take care of those parking tickets.
- Use DoNotPay to help you dispute those seatbelt tickets
- Use DoNotPay to get all your important documents notarized
- Use DoNotPay to set up appointments at your local DMV office
- Use DoNotPay to get those standardized legal documents you've been needing
Have more needs? Check out DoNotPay. We've probably got a solution for you! Get started today!