Can You Get a Parking Ticket For Facing the Wrong Way?
Have you ever received a parking ticket for parking in the wrong direction on a street in your city? When parking is limited in crowded areas, you might have parked in the opposite direction once due to being in a hurry.
Unfortunately, most states indeed make it illegal to park in the opposite direction of a specific street. The reasons behind this go by traffic logic, though you may still want to dispute the ticket if you have legitimate evidence you did nothing wrong.
We can help you with all parking ticket disputes using DoNotPay!
How Much Does a Ticket Cost For Parking in the Wrong Direction?
Parking tickets' costs vary based on your state. However, you can get a general idea of what you might be forced to pay based on these facts:
- In most states (such as in New Jersey), it's usually a $50 fine for parking the wrong way.
- Other sites say wrong-way parking tickets can go well over $100, depending on the state and the situation.
- Contesting tickets like this can cost you even more than paying court costs.
One reason parking in the wrong direction is considered illegal in most states is because the person who parked that way can't see oncoming cars when pulling out. This does make sense, especially on one-way streets. However, it also applies to two-way streets if you park in the wrong direction on either side.
How Do You Pay For a Parking Ticket After Parking the Wrong Way?
The most typical methods for paying a parking ticket are:
- Pay online through your state court's website. Many of them provide hubs there where you can easily pay with a debit card or credit card.
- You can also mail a check or money order to the court or general parking division.
- Visit your local courthouse or parking division in person to pay. Sometimes they even accept cash.
A lot of cities don't accept parking ticket payments over the phone. Not making this available is understandable considering the long wait times and the staff required to answer the calls.
Is Contesting Your Parking Ticket Worth the Hassle?
It sometimes is, but going about it can take considerable time. In a place like Portland, Oregon, for instance, it's recommended you write a letter first to the parking citation division, explaining why you're contesting. You should include evidence to show why you think you were in the wrong.
The next best option is to request a hearing with your local courthouse. All courts allow you to attend a hearing to explain your grievance over your parking ticket. Of course, you need to arrive with plenty of documented proof.
In most states, you have to take these actions within 30 days after your parking ticket was issued or face delinquency on the fine.
Do I Need a Lawyer to Contest My Parking Ticket?
Hiring a lawyer to contest your parking ticket is only going to cost you more in additional fees. Even if you win your case, you'll be out more money to pay back your attorney.
What if you could use an app using AI technology to help with legal issues like parking tickets? Our DoNotPay is the first robot lawyer solution you've been waiting to use.
How You Can Contest Your Parking Ticket In Less Than 120 Seconds Using DoNotPay
Yes, we make the process of contesting your parking ticket so much faster just by using our app. You can make this work using five simple steps:
- Log in to DoNotPay and find the Parking Tickets product.
- Upload a photo of your parking ticket.
- Provide us with some details on why you believe the parking ticket is a mistake.
- Select whether or not you want the letter mailed to the traffic ticket issuer on your behalf!
- That’s it! You’ll receive an appeal letter that contains state vehicle codes to boost your case.
It's really that simple! Look out for your traffic ticket issuer's response to discover whether you won.
To date, we've helped people contest 200,000 parking tickets without having to hire a lawyer. We've even been mentioned in publications like Business Insider about our success rates.
DoNotPay Helps Users Fight and Beat Tickets In Any City
No matter where you live, we'll help you dispute your parking ticket for parking the wrong way. If you have evidence you were wrongly ticketed, we'll be able to help, including in these key cities:
|New York City||San Jose||Los Angeles|
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
We can do much more than just help you with parking tickets. As an AI legal service, we can help with numerous legal issues as well. Here are a few services we could help you with.
Visit us to learn more about DoNotPay's comprehensive features.