How to Apply For A Birth Certificate
The process of applying for a birth certificate can be lengthy, but it doesn't have to be difficult!
Differences Between an Authorized and an Informational Birth Certificate Copy
When applying for a copy of your birth certificate, the first thing you need to know is the difference between an authorized and an informational copy.
|Authorized Copy||Authorized copies have the seal or stamp of the issuing authority on them. They can be used to prove the identity of the certificate's owner, and you can use them for anything from passport applications to proof of citizenship.|
|Informational Copy||Informational copies are much easier to get, and they can be used for many purposes, but they are not considered legal records of your identity. These can be requested by almost anyone, depending on the state, but you can't use them to enroll a child in school or apply for a marriage license.|
Who Can Apply For A Birth Certificate?
In most jurisdictions, the basic information on your birth certificate is public knowledge, and so anyone can apply for an informational copy of your birth certificate. When it comes to authorized copies of birth certificates, however, there are more limitations as to who can apply. You can always apply for authorized copies of your birth certificate, and you can apply for an authorized copy of your immediate family's birth certificates as well. Depending on the state you're in, you may need to prove your relationship to the person and your reason for applying.
How Much Does it Cost to Apply For A Birth Certificate Copy?
The cost of getting a birth certificate varies by state. In general, you pay a certain fee for the first authorized copy of your birth certificate and then a lower amount for any extra copies. This cost can range anywhere from $7.00 to $34.00 per certificate.
How Long Does it Take to Get A Birth Certificate Copy?
The amount of time it takes to apply for a birth certificate varies in each state. Generally speaking, it takes between 1 and 2 months to get a birth certificate after you apply. If you need it sooner, you may be able to expedite the process, though this also varies by state.
What Documents Do I Need to Apply for a Birth Certificate?
Because are considered vital records, you need to be able to prove your identity to get a certified copy of your birth certificate. This means that you'll need your valid, government-issued ID (such as a driver's license or passport) as well as proof of your relationship to the person whose certificate you're getting. For spouses, this means a marriage certificate; for parents, it may mean providing your own birth certificate.
How to Apply for a Birth Certificate On Your Own
The process of applying for a birth certificate is different in each state. In general, you'll need the following information to apply for a birth certificate:
- The full name and date of birth of the person
- The person's place of birth (the more specific, the better)
- The person's gender
- The person's parents' full names at the time of the birth
You'll also need proof of your identity, such as a driver's license or passport, and proof of your relationship with the person (if you're applying for someone else's birth certificate).
Your state's department of vital records will list any other requirements for applying for a birth certificate.
How to Apply for a Birth Certificate With DoNotPay
If you want to order a certificate copy but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 8 easy steps:
- Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
- Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
- Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
- Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Apply for a Birth Certificate
can be full of pitfalls. Many people have horror stories about their parents' names being misspelled on their birth certificates, leading to problems later on. It can be easy to miss an important bit of paperwork or skip a filing fee when applying for a birth certificate. That's why DoNotPay is the easiest way to apply for a birth certificate.
- Fast - you don't have to track down all the forms yourself
- Easy - With our virtual check mailing and notary services, you can let us take care of the hard part
- Efficient - You can complete your birth certificate application entirely within the DoNotPay app
What Else Can DoNotPay Do For You?
DoNotPay has a huge variety of products available. In addition to requesting birth certificates, you can:
- Reduce your property taxes
- Set up virtual credit cards so you aren't charged after free trials
- Help you appeal parking tickets
- Compensate you for fraudulent robocalls
And even more! Find out what else DoNotPay can do for you today!