The Easiest and Fastest Way to Replace A Lost Birth Certificate
There are so many reasons that you might need to learn how to replace a birth certificate. Birth certificates are needed in many given situations and having one on hand is essential. But what if you can't find your birth certificate? What if it gets lost or stolen? Not to worry, there are ways to replace them.
Parents Need Birth Certificates for Their Children
When you have a baby, the hospital gives you the information to obtain a birth certificate for a newborn. Why? Because you're going to need it throughout the child's life.
What are some of the reasons you may need your child's birth certificate on hand?
|School||From kindergarten through high school (and yes, even college), your child will need a copy of their birth certificate presented to the school upon registration.|
|Employment||Employment is a common reason someone would need their birth certificate.|
|Medical Insurance||Some medical insurance providers will require a birth certificate of a child.|
Replacing a Birth Certificate
The good news is, you can replace a birth certificate. It is always good practice to have at least one copy of each person's birth certificate in your family. You never know when you are going to need it.
Some reasons you might have lost a copy of a birth certificate:
- It has been missing since you changed residence.
- There was a divorce and your copy ended up in the other party's belongings.
- It got lost when you had it in public presenting it for another specific reason.
- A house fire destroyed it.
- You were a victim of theft.
Regardless of why your birth certificate is no longer in your possession, replacing it is important.
Here are a few reasons you might need to replace a birth certificate:
- You or your child is going to be traveling out of the country and you need a certified copy of your birth certificate for a passport.
- You are going to be enrolling your child in a new school because you have changed residence.
- You are getting married.
- You need a new Social Security Card.
- You're getting a new driver's license.
- You are buying life insurance or medical insurance and the company needs to be sure that your children can be on your policy.
- You and your children are going on a cruise into international waters. Some cruise ships will not require a passport but they do require a birth certificate from each guest.
If you have concluded that you must get a new birth certificate, you don't have to worry, you can get it replaced. Although it can take some time, you only have to choose how you wish to get it delivered to you.
How To Get a New Birth Certificate
No matter the reason as to why you need a new birth certificate, you can obtain it in writing by petitioning your state government or Vital Records through the mail or you can get a certified copy online. You do have to prove that it is your birth certificate or your child's birth certificate. Generally, people are not allowed to purchase a birth certificate unless they can prove that they are allowed to have it. If anyone was allowed to randomly buy a birth certificate that was not theirs or one that belonged to their child, it could pose a significant identity/security risk.
Steps for Replacing a Lost Birth Certificate:
Here's how to apply for a birth certificate:
- Complete the necessary forms.
- Provide proof that you are allowed to request a copy.
- Pay the fees for the requested copy.
- If you need the copy quickly, you'll have to pay additional charges.
- Wait for the request to get approved.
The processing time for getting your new copy can vary, but typically it can take several weeks. This is why most people pay additional fees to get the certified copy sent to them quicker. However, it can be expensive to go this route.
This can be a hassle for people with a busy lifestyle. So, what is your other option? DoNotPay has a birth certificate product that can help. All you have to do is answer a few simple questions and we will get your birth certificate copy to you as fast as possible!
Be Sure to Place Your Birth Certificates in Safe Locations:
Once you have obtained your birth certificate replacement, be sure to put it in a safe location. Here are a few suggestions to make sure that you don't have to pay for more replacements down the road:
- Keep them in a safety deposit box at your local bank.
- File them in your personal file cabinets.
- If you have a combination safe at home, this is a great place to put your birth certificates and other important documents.
How DoNotPay Can Help You Get Your Birth Certificate
1. Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
2. Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
3. Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
4. Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
5. Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
6. Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
7. Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
8. If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Making sure that your documents are locked up in a secured location will reduce the amount of replacement birth certificates you may have to attain in the future. But, when you are faced with replacing them, DoNotPay can help get your birth certificate fast. Let us take the hassle and frustration out of the process. The robot lawyer's products are here to help!