How to Change Father's Name on A Birth Certificate
At the time of birth, it is important to provide all of the information available for the birth certificate. Sometimes, there may be a discrepancy with the father if they are not present. A birth certificate could be published without a father's name listed or could have a name listed that needs to be updated later on.
If you have the information you need to on your personal birth certificate or one for your child, then you will need to make those changes locally with the vital records office.
Once this has been amended, DoNotPay can assist you with requesting a new copy of this birth certificate for your records. You can also use the app to order your birth certificate copy in preparation for the change.
Different Types of Birth Certificates
When you go to request a birth certificate, you will come across two types of birth certificates that you are able to receive.
- Informational or Uncertified Birth Certificates
- Authorized or Certified Birth Certificates
These two types of birth certificates have their names transposed often but they provide the same information. On the informational birth certificate, you will only find basic information, confirming the name at the time of birth, the date, and the location. For the authorized birth certificate copies, you can expect to get more information, such as the parents' names.
Importance of Parent Information
The parent information that is found on a birth certificate serves several different purposes.
- Identify a child and confirm a parent's rights to the child.
- Use to confirm any genealogical information for ancestry or health purposes.
- This information is used in family court to prove paternity for rights, child support, and visitation purposes across the country.
A birth certificate is the very beginning of a person's identity, so having the right information is critical. You, your child, or your spouse may use their birth certificate for a number of things for identification purposes, and having the correct parent's name listed is just as important.
Can You Change a Father's Name on a Birth Certificate?
If you have documentation that proves a father's paternity, you do have the ability to make that update on your birth certificate or the birth certificate of your child. Depending on your state or county, the process might be slightly different. Check out the table below to learn more.
|The Process to Change the Name of a Father Recorded on a Birth Certificate||
Why Should You Change a Father's Name on a Birth Certificate?
Sometimes it can seem like a difficult task to . But it’s worth the effort, and DoNotPay can make it easier.
If the information listed on the birth certificate is inaccurate, there are several reasons to make the change.
- Provide accurate information for genealogy purposes.
- The paternity of the father may not have been known originally and now can be updated.
- Maintain the most accurate information for vital records.
- Having a sense of awareness and identity by making the change.
- Having a father listed can encourage services such as child support.
- List the child as a beneficiary on policies.
- Obtain a driver's license or passport.
No matter what your reason may be for , you do have the right to make it accurate. This is especially important if that information was not available before, and you have legal documentation that may rely on this information.
Who Can Get A Copy of a Birth Certificate?
Once you have made the change of the father's name on your birth certificate, you may want to get an updated copy to have. Below are the parties who are eligible to get an authorized copy of the birth certificate.
- The person named on the birth certificate
- The parent of the person on the birth certificate.
- The spouse of the person on the birth certificate.
- The child of the person on the birth certificate.
- Lawyer or Power of Attorney
In order to get an authorized copy of a birth certificate, you must be one of the people above. Otherwise, you may be limited to an informational or uncertified copy of a birth certificate.
Can DoNotPay Help Me Request a Copy of My Birth Certificate?
Yes! If you need a new copy of an amended birth certificate or you have lost your birth certificate, DoNotPay can help make that request by following the steps below:
- Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
- Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
- Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
- Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
- 5*. Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Reasons to Use DoNotPay
When you choose DoNotPay to help you make a request for your birth certificate after , you can expect the following:
- The easy and ideal way to make the request is by entering the appropriate information and letting DoNotPay handle the legwork.
- You can make this request whenever you have the time and wherever you would like since the app is mobile-friendly.
- There are no additional trips needed since everything can be done through DoNotPay.
DoNotPay strives to make sure that you are not having additional stress or errors with your tasks. Efficiency is key when you let DoNotPay handle the task for you.