The Easiest Way to Get a Certified Birth Certificate
Birth certificates are valuable documents. You need them when applying for vital documents such as passports and driving licenses and when seeking essential services such as schooling for your children. Birth certificates are processed at the state vital records office.
The hospital initiates the registration process at the hospital of birth, where parents fill out details such as the child's name and biological parents. The time it takes to get a depends on the state, how you apply, and the complexity of your case.
What Information Do You Need to Get A Birth Certificate?
To apply for a birth certificate, you need to provide personal information such as:
- Your name and your parents' name, state, and county of birth
- Identification documents such as a passport or a driver's license
- Addresses where the certificate will be posted when it is ready
How to Order a Birth Certificate Online?
To order a birth certificate online:
- File an application with the health department of your respective state or county or apply through a processing agency.
- Provide the requisite documents.
- Wait for the birth certificate to be sent to your home address by mail.
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Birth Certificate?
If you apply through the health department, you will have to cover the costs of acquiring the requisite documents and the application fees. If you use a private agency, you will also have to pay agency fees for handling some of the processes on your behalf.
The cost varies between $20 and $60, but the average is lower. However, if you live away from your state of birth and want to get it in person, it can cost you hundreds of dollars in expenses and lost income.
How Long Does It Take To Get A New Birth Certificate?
The time it takes to receive your birth certificate depends on several factors, including whether you applied online or in-person and your birth state. New birth certificates may take a few weeks to be processed. The wait time for online applications varies with the complexity of the processing requirements and volume of requests. However, it often takes around 2-8 weeks, depending on the state, but some states can take up to six months. People who apply from states other than the state of birth may take longer to get their birth certificates.
Several states offer rush services that expedite the processing for an additional fee. The rush service processing duration varies with the state, but you will typically get your birth certificate within two weeks.
What Is the Fastest Way of Getting a Birth Certificate?
Applying in person is often the fastest way to get your birth certificate. You will have to travel to the records office where your birth or child was registered, and you also have to contend with waiting lines that can last for hours. We recommend that you allocate a large portion of your day to this exercise. However, if you are lucky, you can get the birth certificate on the same day.
What Is the Easiest Way of Getting a Birth Certificate?
The easiest way to order a birth certificate is to apply online . Ordering your birth certificate online is easy as it only takes about ten minutes to complete the application procedures. The application procedures vary by state, though most states have a template on their vital records website. After filling the form, you can request them to send it by mail. Typically, you will receive a response after two to three days indicating a successful application.
How To Replace a Lost Birth Certificate
To replace a lost birth certificate:
- Go to the vital records office in your state and request a replacement birth certificate
- Order a replacement online by filling out an application form at the vital records office website
- Pay replacement fees
Can I Apply for a Birth Certificate Through an Agency?
Some private companies process birth certificate applications for a fee, but they are not allowed in all states. You need to check if your state accepts this option before applying through an agency.
How to Get a Birth Certificate With The Help of DoNotPay?
- Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
- Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
- Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
- Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
That's it! Your birth certificate copy request will be sent and on its way. You should hear back from them within a few weeks with updates once your request has been processed.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Solve Birth Certificate Problems
Applying for your birth certificate through DoNotPay saves you the trip to the vital records office and collecting it at the post office. All you need to do is visit the application page on your . We will apply on your behalf.
We also offer virtual notary and check mailing services. Our application process is:
|Fast||You don't have to spend hours waiting in the queue.|
|Easy||You don't have to answer confusing questions on the application form and keep track of the application process.|
|Successful||Rest assured that we will take the most suited approach to your case.|