Get Your Onondaga County Birth Certificate In 5 Minutes
If you've lost your and need to replace it, you might wonder how to start the process. Here, we'll look at which type of birth records you might need, where to go to apply for a replacement, and how you can submit your application.
The process isn't always easy to accomplish, but with the help of DoNotPay, you can get through the application procedure easier.
Which Type of Onondaga County Birth Certificate Do You Need?
Besides the standard birth records for newborns, you can also get two other types of birth certificates if you've lost yours. One is the certified document, and the other is an authorized certified birth certificate.
In some states, you could also have a short-form document, which is just a certificate that offers a minimal amount of information concerning a person's birth. It's not generally the type of document asked for when applying for a passport or using it in court, though.
Certified Birth Certificates
This document is required when you apply for a passport or get a driver's license. It contains all the information necessary for your birth record. It will show officials things like:
- Where you were born
- Which hospital it was in
- Which doctor was in attendance
- Who your parents were
It will also give info on your birth date and other pertinent details.
Authorized Birth Certificates
An authorized birth certificate is just a certified birth certificate with a notarized seal showing which office issued it. This is usually required when you go to court for parental-type cases, like when you want to remove the father's name from the certificate.
This document is only available to the person on the birth certificate and the listed parents. No one else is capable of obtaining one with that seal. To start the process, you need to go to the county where you were born to replace your copy of the birth certificate, in this case, in .
Is the Person on the Birth Certificate the Only One Able to Get a Copy of It?
Who can get a copy of your birth certificate depends on the type of document being sought. In Onondaga County, just about anyone can get their hands on your informational or “non-certified” record. This will only give a minimal amount of information concerning your birth. However, in some cases, the birth may be considered confidential. If it is, only specified people will have access to the records.
For certified copies of your birth certificate, quite a few people can get copies with the proper application and documents. Besides the person on the birth record, those who can obtain the certificate are:
- Child, Grandchild, and Great-Grandchild
- Parents listed in the document
- Power of attorney
- Adoption agency
Anyone seeking a copy of a must apply and provide the necessary information before being given the document.
How to Apply for a Copy of a Birth Certificate in Onondaga County, New York
There are four ways to apply for a birth certificate in Onondaga County, New York. You can apply in person, online, by mail, and by fax. If you provide all the required information, the process can go reasonably fast, but if there's incorrect info listed, it will delay the request for a while.
|In-Person||If you choose to go in person, requires that only the people listed on the record show up in person to apply for a certified certificate. That means you or your parents. You will need the application filled out with your payment when you go to the county's Vital Records office. If everything is complete, they can issue the document that same day.|
|Mail/Fax Machine||If you choose to apply by mail or fax, you must have the application form filled out correctly and signed. With the fax method, you must fax the form to (315) 435-3614. For payment, you will need to fill out the credit card form so they can charge your card $30 for a copy.|
|Online||If you want to apply online, go to their Vital Records website and fill out the form online. You'll be asked to give your credit card number for payment information when it's complete. Afterward, you'll receive an email with a signature verification sheet. You will need to complete and fax it back or mail it to them with any identification documents requested.|
The method seems the easiest, but it can take quite a while. The forms aren't as clear as one would like them to be. However, there's a much easier way to accomplish getting a copy of a birth certificate.
How DoNotPay Can Help You Obtain an Onondaga County Birth Certificate
You can avoid the headaches of filling out forms to get a copy of a . Simply sign up for DoNotPay and let us take care of the details. All you have to do is provide some key pieces of information, and we'll handle the rest.
Our eight easy steps include:
- Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
- Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
- Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
- Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
After that, all you have to do is wait for the certificate to arrive in the mail, which should take a few weeks after they process your request.
Why Choose DoNotPay Over Doing it Yourself?
Doing it yourself takes quite a bit of time, plus it's a lot of work. If you have DoNotPay start the process for you, you can:
- Avoid spending so much time trying to figure out where the information goes on the application
- If you need one of your documents notarized, you can easily get it done with our virtual service
- Avoid having to run to the post office or go to a printer to print out the document
Obtaining an Onondaga County birth certificate replacement may seem like a daunting task, but it doesn't have to be with DoNotPay on your side. We can take the headache out of the application process so that you can focus on other things in your busy schedule. Join DoNotPay today to get a certified copy of your birth certificate in no time!