The Fastest Way To Get A Birth Certificate For Your Newborn
Do you know how to get a birth certificate for your newborn? With many parents now opting out of traditional hospital birthing and at-home births on the rise, this presents new circumstances around the birth certificate process. Different types of birthing bring different types of birth certificates now available with regard to just how much information is or isn't being included on your newborn's birth certificate.
Knowing which birth certificate your newborn needs can be anything but an easy task. Learning the different birth certificate types, how and where to get them, how long it takes, and how to replace a lost birth certificate are all good bits of birth certificate information for new parents.
There is an easier way to get a birth certificate for your newborn.
Hospital vs. Home Birth and How This Affects the Newborn Birth Certificate
Issues With Getting Your Newborn Birth Certificate at the Hospital
If your newborn is coming into the world via your local hospital, the attending physician should provide a certificate of live birth that includes all the information about your new bundle of joy. And know that you will need this certificate of live birth to obtain your certified newborn birth certificate. Yes, they are two separate documents, and you cannot get the certified birth certificate without the attending physician's certificate of live birth.
|Certified Birth Certificate||Contains information about the parents and is the only acceptable birth certificate form when trying to register the child with the government for things like a Social Security number or a passport.|
|Certificate of Live Birth||Contains information about the child that was born and is issued by the attending physician at the child’s birth.|
Home Birth Issues When Getting Your Newborn Birth Certificate
More and more parents are choosing to have their babies born at home now. If you also choose to go this route, then the information you need will be different as well. If your baby is born at home, the attending midwife can provide all the information for the certificate of live birth.
If there is no midwife or other medical professional present, parents have to register the newborn within 10 days of the live birth.
The city clerk of the town in which the child is born cannot issue a certified birth certificate until they receive the certificate of live birth.
Things You Need if a Home Birth is Your Option
If your newborn is going to be born outside a hospital, and there will be no attending physician or midwife present at the birth, you will need to prove the birth of the child by gathering a bit of information.
To do this, you will need to provide evidence of the following facts:
- Proof of Pregnancy (proven by a medical report or a pre-registration form)
- Proof of Parents (photo ID with a signature from each parent such as driver's license or state ID)
- Evidence of Live Birth (statement of medical observation or examination of the child)
- Proof of Where the Birth Took Place (you will need written affidavits from at least two eyewitnesses)
Present your evidence to the county or city clerk, so a certified birth certificate can then be issued. If you cannot provide any of this information you will need at least one notarized eyewitness testimonial statement regarding the birth.
Why You Need to Register Your Newborn
If you are going to be adding your infant to your health insurance coverage, you are going to need both a certified birth certificate and a social security number. The only way to get a social security number is to provide the certified version of your newborn birth certificate.
Also, registering your child with the state in which it was born will make the following a bit easier to obtain:
- Register for school
- Apply for a passport
- Getting a driver's license
- Getting a marriage license
- Receiving retirement benefits
Another reason to promptly register the child is that it is required by most states. It will also prove beneficial if the child should need any services provided by local, state, or federal agencies.
If you could get your newborn birth certificate as easy as filling out an online survey, would you? Of course, you would!
How to Get a Newborn Birth Certificate Using DoNotPay
When you use DoNotPay to get your newborn birth certificate you can spend your time preparing for your new baby, not preparing a mountain of evidence supporting your child's birth!
Take a look at just how easy it can be to get a newborn birth certificate using DoNotPay!
- Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
- Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
- Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
- Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
DoNotPay is your all-inclusive information hub for newborn birth certificates, and any other birth certificate wants or needs you may have. You can rest soundly knowing that DoNotPay is handling all of your newborn birth certificate issues!
Why You Should Use DoNotPay
DoNotPay was designed to level the playing field and make issues like getting a newborn birth certificate available to anyone who needs it. The reasons speak for themselves when you take a look at these three reasons to use DoNotPay!
- DoNotPay is Fast
- DoNotPay is Easy
- DoNotPay is Successful
See for yourself! Go on over to DoNotPay and see just how simple it can be to get a newborn birth certificate!
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
Think of us as "robot lawyers!" We started as a means of helping the public fight parking tickets, but look what else we can do for you!
- Cease-and-Desist Defamation Letters
- Airline flight cancellation/bumping compensation
- Chargebacks and refunds
- Unattended Child travel consent paperwork