What’s the Easiest Way to Get Your Town of Hempstead Birth Certificate
Your birth certificate is a vital part of your ability to prove your identity. However, not all jurisdictions provide a copy automatically to parents of newborns (in fact, most don't) and birth certificates can be lost or, rarely, stolen. If you need a copy of your birth certificate, you will need to apply for one to your local jurisdiction.
getting a copy of a birth certificate means visiting the town registrar. You’ll need to take time off of work, stand in line, have your documents ready, and so on. It’s a huge hassle!
But you’re in luck because DoNotPay can help make the process of getting or replacing a birth certificate fast and easy. Today, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about ordering birth certificates from the Town of Hempstead.
Who Can Get a Birth Certificate Copy in the Town of Hempstead, NY?
An authorized copy of a birth certificate can be obtained by:
- The person named on the birth certificate if they are over 18.
- The person's parents.
- A legal representative of the person or their parents.
- A government agency that has an interest in obtaining the record.
Informational copies, which can't be used to obtain ID, can sometimes be obtained by a wider range of people.
only for Hempstead residents, and local unincorporated communities. See the table below for examples.
|If the birth occurred in the following areas, you can deal with the Town of Hempstead for birth records:||
Adoptees can obtain their pre-adoption birth certificate if they are at least 18 but must request it from the NYS Department of Health, not the local registrar.
How Much Does it Cost to Get a Copy of a Birth Certificate in the Town of Hempstead, NY?
It costs $10 per authorized copy. Checks and money orders need to be made payable to Hempstead Town Clerk. There is a service charge for paying by credit card, although it is unclear how much it is due to contradictory information. However, it may be as much as $6, meaning it is probably better to pay by check if you can (or cash if paying in person).
How Long Does it Take to Get a Birth Certificate Copy in the Town of Hempstead?
According to the registrar, certificate copies are processed and mailed within one to two days of receipt, assuming the application is approved. This means that it typically takes one to two weeks, depending on mailing times.
If you need a copy urgently, you can get expedited processing for $33.50 with a major credit card. Expedited certificates are sent via UPS.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Copy of a Birth Certificate in Hempstead?
In addition to the completed application, you will need a form of acceptable identification. Check out the table below.
|Forms of ID You Can Use to Order a Birth Certificate in the Town of Hempstead||
This is somewhat looser than some jurisdictions and you can contact the clerk's office to ask if other documentation, such as bank statements or a lease, could be used.
How to Get a Copy of a Birth Certificate in the Town of Hempstead
There is no system for requesting copies online. Instead, you have two choices:
- In-person at 1 Washington Street, Hempstead, NY 11550. You should bring the required form of ID and the completed application. You can pay by cash, money order, check, or credit card.
- By mail. Send the application, copy of ID, and check or money order to Registrar, Town of Hempstead, 1 Washington Street, Hempstead NY 11550.
You can call 516-812-3142 if you have questions, such as whether a form of ID would be accepted.
Having to go to the registrar's office in person is irritating unless you're lucky enough to live close by. Mailing in the form limits the payment methods available and takes a little bit longer, but is better for the majority of applicants.
Getting all your ducks in a row is also hard. You might trek to the registrar's office only to find they don't like your proof of ID, for example. This is where DoNotPay can help.
Get Your Birth Certificate Copy Instantly With the Help of DoNotPay
DoNotPay's birth certificate service can get everything done for you without the need to buy stamps or go to the post office. The world’s first robot lawyer makes it easy to order your . Simply:
- Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
- Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
- Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
- Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Your application will be mailed in on your behalf.
Why Use DoNotPay to Get Your Birth Certificate Copy?
Because the Town of Hempstead has no online option, you have to trek to the registrar's office (not fun, especially if you have a newborn in tow) or mail it, meaning going to the post office, and then worrying about it getting there.
DoNotPay lets you do the entire process online. If you need anything notarized, such as if you are requesting a copy on behalf of somebody else, our virtual notary services can handle that as well. We will mail a check from an appropriate local bank and you don't have to worry about it.
DoNotPay exists to make all kinds of annoying things easier. Try it out now.