Get a Copy of Your Saginaw County Birth Certificate Easily
Birth certificates are one of those pesky documents that you only use a handful of times in your life, but always seem to lose when you need them most. It can be annoying and time-consuming to order a new one, but it's also something that you need to locate ASAP.
If you need a , you may wonder what it takes to get one. There are several avenues to do so, but if you're crunched for time, DoNotPay can simplify the process and help you get it fast.
The Difference Between an Authorized and Informational Birth Certificate Copy
Has an agency ever turned down your birth certificate, stating that it's not legit? You may be wondering why you need to get a new birth certificate when you already have one. Is this some sort of money racketing scheme?
Actually, it's not. There are actually two different types of birth certificates, and while both are real, only one can be used for legal purposes like joining the military or applying for college.
Informational Birth Certificates
If your birth certificate has been turned down, then it's most likely an informational birth certificate. Yes, it has all the important information like your name, the time you were born, where you were born, and even the names of your parents, but there is one key piece of information missing on it that makes it useless when it comes to legal purposes, and that's a notarization.
So what is a notarization, and why do you need it? A notary acts as an impartial witness for you so that it's clear there is no sort of fraud going on. It may be frustrating, but given the level of identity theft, this actually works in your favor.
This may leave you wondering what good an informational birth certificate is. While you can't use it to prove who you are for legal purposes, you can use it to keep track of your genealogy, according to US Birth Certificates.
The good news is that you can get it fast. If you need a birth certificate to prove your identity, then you'll need an authorized birth certificate.
Authorized Birth Certificates
An authorized birth certificate will have a notarization on it. This means you'll have to get it from a government agency, such as the Saginaw County Clerk's Office.
While you may go for years without ever needing your birth certificate, times when it will be required, include:
- Applying for a marriage license
- Claiming insurance benefits
- Applying for college
- Joining the military
- Applying for a passport
- Claiming a pension
Who Can Get a Birth Certificate Copy in Saginaw County, Michigan?
In order to be eligible to get a , you need to have been born there.
You can't just ask for a birth certificate for just anyone, however. There are many reasons for this, such as identity theft. The people who can legally request a birth certificate include:
- The person named on the birth certificate
- An individual or agency that has full guardianship
- An individual with custody, such as a parent, or someone who has adopted a newborn or child
- Power of attorney
- Legal representative of the person named on the record
- State of federal agency
- Court order
If the individual you need a birth certificate for died over 100 years ago, then it is a part of the public record, and anyone can obtain it.
How Much Does it Cost to Get a Birth Certificate Copy in Saginaw County, Michigan?
Applying for a birth certificate can be stressful, but it's not exactly expensive in Saginaw County, Michigan.
|Method of Purchase||Item||Cost|
|In-Person||Certified Birth Record - First Copy||$15|
|Additional Copy (Purchased with the First Copy)||$7|
|By Mail/Dropbox Payment||Certified Birth Record - First Copy||$16|
|Additional Copy (Purchased with the First Copy)||$7|
|Online||Certified Birth Record - First Copy||$26|
If you order a birth certificate, and then need more a month later, then the new copy will be for the original price of $15. This is why it's a good idea to purchase multiple copies while you're there, just in case.
You can pay by cash, check, or debit/credit card. There is a processing fee of $2.50 for any debit/credit card charges under $49.99. You can also pay using checks or money orders.
Online orders are the most expensive route to take and the price will go up depending on if you want a rush copy. You can only pay using a debit/credit card.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Copy of a Birth Certificate in Saginaw County, Michigan?
The processing time for getting your birth certificate from Saginaw County, Michigan differs depending on how you apply.
You should get it immediately if you go in person. Otherwise, it will depend on when it arrives, and how soon it's processed. This can take anywhere from one day to two weeks.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Copy of a Birth Certificate in Saginaw County, Michigan?
A valid photo ID is required in order to obtain a courthouse copy of your Saginaw County birth certificate. Accepted forms of identification include:
- Military identification
- State I.D.
- Valid driver's license
If you need an alternative form of identification, Saginaw County will accept the following:
- Employment photo I.D. with pay stub or W-2 form
- Bill (utility, water, cell, cable TV, doctor, hospital etc.) with requestor's name and address
- Department of Corrections I.D. with probation documents or discharge papers
- Expired Michigan Driver's License with vehicle registration or title
- Bridge Card
- School/college photo I.D. with proof of enrollment (recent transcript, report card, or class schedule)
- Health insurance/Medicaid card
- Correspondence from a governmental agency (Social Security, DHHS, IRS, etc.)
- Baptismal certificate
- Expired state of federal photo I.D.
- Voter registration card
- Expired driver's license from another state
- School records/GED certificate
- Marriage license
- Bank statement
- Divorce Decree
- Lease/rental agreement
- Child's birth record
How to Obtain Your Birth Certificate From Saginaw County, Michigan on Your Own
There are several ways to get your birth certificate from Saginaw County, and these can include mailing in your request, filling out a form online, and simply showing up in person.
If you need your birth certificate right now, the best way to do so is to go in person. This does mean you may end up waiting for a while, however.
In order to get a birth certificate in person, you will need to:
- Fill out an application
- Bring your photo ID or alternative ID with you
Sometimes showing up in person is simply not an option. If this is the case, you can order your birth certificate by mail.
- Fill out an application.
- Include a clear photo of your identification.
- Include a check or money order. Make sure it's made out to the Saginaw County Clerk.
The mailing address for the Saginaw County Clerk's Office is:
Saginaw County Clerk
111 S. Michigan Ave.
Saginaw, MI 48602
Next Steps for Getting Your Birth Certificate From Saginaw County, Michigan if You Can't Do it Yourself
Between work, picking up the kids, and just dealing with day-to-day life, you may not have time to actually go to the Saginaw County Clerk's Office. Ordering online may not be an option if you don't have a credit card, and not everyone has a printer. If this is the case, you may not be able to order a birth certificate on your own.
So what are you supposed to do? Is it hopeless? Actually, it's not. DoNotPay can help order your birth certificate, and it only takes a few steps.
Get Your Saginaw County, Michigan Birth Certificate With the Help of DoNotPay
You probably aren't getting a copy of your birth certificate for nostalgic reasons. If that's the case, then it's very likely you need it sooner rather than later. DoNotPay can help by ordering your birth certificate for you fast.
If you want to order/get a birth certificate copy in Saginaw County, Michigan but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 8 easy steps:
- Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
- Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
- Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
- Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why Use DoNotPay?
What's the point of using DoNotPay if you can do it the old-fashioned way? There are a few reasons, such as the fact that it's less drama for you. DoNotPay can also notarize the document for you, so that's one less step you need to focus on.
DoNotPay also does much more than just ordering birth certificates, so check us out today for more information.